Modeling Nids With Biomorphs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all. I'm just looking for a little advice and I'm not trolling or anything like that. I, like most of Nid Players, don't really use the army list printed in the codex. I pretty much create my own species for most stuff on my list.

I have my own species for my Hive Tyrant and Carnifex.

I also created 2 species of warriors, one with all CC biomorphs and weapons and the other with all VC enchanced senses and all the rest.

I created 2 broods of leaping guants with Scything claws, Adrenal Glands and poison sacs. (Some people critisize me for not adding to my WS to make it a 4, but when I look at the to hit chart a 4 doesn't seem to give me much)

I usually try to represent biomorphs with all of my models where appropriate. Obviosly you need to have Wings to have flying. But what about adding echanced senses? Do I really need to put something on my Tyrant? I like the way he looks and I dont want to ruin his look with antenna or something weird. Also, do I really have to add the Adrenal glands and poison sacs to all of my leaping gaunts in order to add to their Strength and Initiative? I do like the way it looks, but I do not have the time right now to add sacs and glands to all 32 of my leaping gaunts.

Currently if this is normally enforced, I would need to add all of those biomorps tp my leaping gaunts. I would need to add antenna to my Tyrant, Carnifex and the 3 Warriors with VCs. Same goes for extened Carapace. Most of all my important and TMC have it.

Do I really need to add all of those biomorphs? I know it really depends on the rulesof the tourny, but what have the most of you experienced?

thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

In my experience, Adrenal Glands, Enhanced Senses and Toxin Sacs are rarely modeled, parts being either bulky (AG), fiddly (TS) or nonexistant (ES)... Yes, the Codex says that all biomorphs must be shown on model, but most of the Tyranid players here simply don't bother.

It's not like our opponents could usually tell the difference from the looks of a model... Much simpler to just tell the opponent what the Mutable Genus creatures have and be done with it.

I don't bother with the Gaunts myself, since I prefer being able to vary them a bit (telling my opponents as well, of course), but on the larger models the parts are much easier to place, nevermind requiring considerably less gluing to take place than it would on the Gaunts.

Besides, on the larger creatures my biomorph preferences are set, so I can be certain that's the way I want them.

So I myself don't add the bits to Gaunts, but anything bigger will get them (Warriors, Tyrant).

I rarely take a Mutable Carnifex since I would boost it back to front-Codex stats anyway. =)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a question for the Tournament officials/organizers beforehand. Ask them if it is really necessary to have glands, sacs, and all that crap on every one of your models for the Tournament. Also bring up the point that if they are going to enforce it, then bring their attention to the fact that all the imperial/sm armies need to have frag granades modeled if taken. Same goes for Haywire, Melta, and Photon. I better see Bionics! I better see an Auspex in his hand! It can go on and on.

Make sure they are familiar with Tyranid rules and how these biomorphs work fluffwise. Biomorphs could be taken as open to interpretation. Leaping we have already beaten to death in another thread. Toxin sacs could be internal. Adrenal glands could be internal. Who's to say the extended carapace isn't much different than the way it is atm? Or that his carapace isn't super strong alloyed chitin? Hive Node is a close call. But again, who is to tell you it can't be internal? "My gaunts who are hive node receptors have a inner organ which recieves the orders from the hive mind" Its fluff and open to imagination. My gaunts just so happen to have internal organs for the purpose of protecting them from getting shot/hacked off in combat...you know...the thing they are bred for. And it just so happens to save me oodles of time and money and effort.

I really doubt they will be that anal about it, but you never know. You seem to have a good grasp of what is unreasonable and what is not. If there is no modelling/painting composition score, just get some paper and tape. When they act anal about it, get out the paper and make scraps, write "ADRENAL GLAND WHICH GIVES +1 INITIATIVE ON THIS GUY" or "EXTENDED CARAPACE WHICH IMPROVES ARMOR SAVE BY 1 ON THIS GUY" on each one, tape them on and play.

Btw, that adrenal gland for ws is worth it on leapers. Against a 4ws, yeah its the same. But when the attacks come back at you, they need a 3+ instead of a 4.

At that cost I find them worth it. You'll need 11 guants before you could be having an additonal guant in place of the +WS. Additional gaunt per 11 gaunts, or increased survivability of your primary "tie-up" squad? Depends on who you face, I find it to be better safe than sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by Pyre@Dec 6 2004, 206
    Hive Node is a close call. But again, who is to tell you it can't be internal?
    --- Mutations are one-off, and should be modeled.

Models with Plasmaguns don't hide them in their pockets, do they? Veteran Sergeants are clearly distinguishable, aren't they?

Since one-off Mutations are the closest equivalent the Tyranids have, they should be modeled.

The main problem here is that biomorphs apply to the whole unit, so it doesn't matter as much whether or not they're modeled. However, a Mutant is a single special model, and as such should be able to be told apart from the normal creatures.

Yes, even Acid Blood ones. =)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even teh acid! Bleed on em with the clear, dried gluey gunk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Uzi-99@Dec 6 2004, 14:20
    --- Mutations are one-off, and should be modeled.

Models with Plasmaguns don't hide them in their pockets, do they? Veteran Sergeants are clearly distinguishable, aren't they?

Since one-off Mutations are the closest equivalent the Tyranids have, they should be modeled.
    The main problem here is that biomorphs apply to the whole unit, so it doesn't matter as much whether or not they're modeled. However, a Mutant is a single special model, and as such should be able to be told apart from the normal creatures.

Yes, even Acid Blood ones. =)
    [snapback]267053[/snapback]
    Agreed! Mutants need to be modeled! I find it hard to model exception size on Tyrants and Carnifex. Anything smaller is easier as you give it larger claws. Mostruous Scythes on a warrior, warrior scythes on a gaunt, etc...

But having a Exceptionally sized Tyrant and Carnifex seems to be a challenge...

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Actually, Exep Size on a Tyrant is easy. Just slap it on a Monstrous Base and modify it's STs to be multi (either 2 or 3 blades next to each other), or make them into pincers (on above the other on the same arm) and blammo, super sized Tyrant.

Carnifex is tougher.....I got no ideas for them. You could green stuff that back/shoulder plate much larger, and then add the Ex Car bits for actual extended carapace. Or replace its legs with something that makes it look bigger, or multiple legs.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

+ Reply to Thread