Rangers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rangers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a unit of six rangers and i hear from soem people that they are really good, but whenever i use them thy just sit around and get plucked off when the enemy has killed eveything that poses a real threat. they take out maybe 4 or 5 enemies a game even with the 2+, 4+ AP 1 on die roll of six to hit, 48" range. i dont get it, do they really suck or am i just using them wrong?

"War is my master; death my mistress."
    - Maugan Ra

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1 Rangers hit on a 2+ wound on a 4+
    #2 AP 1 on a six, range of 36"
    #3 Infultrator rule to sneak up before anyone else can
    #4 If you play Alatoic (rangers paradise) PATHFINDERS AP1 on a 2,3,4+
    #5 Alatoic rangers have a disruption tables
    #6 Pathfinders get a 3+ cover SV in cover
    #7 Rangers are VERY tatical, pathfinders are easier to use/move
    <span style='color:red'>The Deamons are always taking over land that was once ours, the Deamon hunters MUST stop them before it is to late. To much Bloodshed over this cause to much death, THE TERMINATORS MUST DEFEND THE IMPERIAL&#33; FIGHT FOR ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD&#33;&#33;&#33;FIGHT FOR YOUR LIVES MEN, KILL THOSE BASTERDS&#33;&#33;&#33;</span>

<span style='color:gray'>DH/GK 2/0/0
    Eldar 3/1/1</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I&#39;m not too experienced with the rangers, but I plan on upgrading my single squad up to 2 squads, 5 or 6 each. Why? Pinning. Against marines rangers are decent, but against anything with low leadership and/or poor armor saves (ie Orks) they have to potential to really shape a battle. I don&#39;t want those angry greenies to get to my troops and cut them down, so if I can pin them down and force the battle to conform to my best options, why not use rangers? Also, remember that the cover save of a ranger is +1, so a 3+ becomes 2+. And in no cover, hey, they still get a 6+ cover save. But why your rangers are out of cover beats me.
    It&#39;s all up to the zombies now, really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

A common mistake made with Rangers is reluctance to move them, even when it would be tactically advantageous to do so. No one wants to give up such a powerful shot. I lost a lot of games because of over-reliance on Ranger fire in my earlier days.

In that vein, I take two squads of three. Three is a good number for Rangers because their <50% check is also their Last-Man-Standing check. Also, you can have the Ranger squads cover one another&#39;s movements. One shoots, the other retreats alternatively.

A favored tactic of mine is to deploy two Ranger teams ahead of my line, hitting-and-fading to slow up the enemy advance while my Wraithguard and Wraithlords are able to advance in a more solid formation. With Vypers/Spiders/Wraithguard in a Wave Serpent harrying the flanks and the armor of the enemy, the enemy is effectively funneled into the heart of my firebase, to be taken down by massed Wraithcannon fire. This makes a small and slow Iyanden warhost seem that much faster and larger than it actually is.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SA_taralekomus@Dec 8 2004, 03:31
    #4 If you play Alatoic (rangers paradise) PATHFINDERS AP1 on a 2,3,4+
    #6 Pathfinders get a 3+ cover SV in cover
    #7 Rangers are VERY tatical, pathfinders are easier to use/move
    [snapback]268661[/snapback]
    #1 Patfinders get +2 to all cover saves on an automatic 3+
    #2 Pathfinders go AP1 on 4+ and hit on 2+ normally
    #3 Im sorry but I have never moved a single 1 unit of my rangers/pathfinders in my alaitoc army... nor set them up infiltrating... for one reason... they are the most seless unit once they are in combat. I use their long(er) range in guns and their AP1 abilities to kill opponents before they get close. The amount of units that I have aswell means that if I can see you, you are either pinned or dead. Now isnt that sportmanship... :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rangers are excellent for taking down big guys like wraithlrods talos hive tyrants etc because they ALWAYS wound on a 4+ nomatter wat there T is thats there true strenght if you ask me.

However with that statement out of the way, I would say listen to ArchonBjorn. He has a really good tendency to not say stupid things and give bad advice.
    Learn from yesterday.
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow
    -Archonbjorn-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another consideration is in 40K in 40 minutes games or games that you have to capture objectives. I always take rangers because they can pin the enemy&#39;s fast moving troops. For example I recently won three straight games against Space Marines because I pinned assault marines or other advancing troops that were closing in on objectives. That gave me time to fleet-of-foot onto the objective or assault his units (yes I assault Space Marines&#33;&#33;&#33. Generally I don&#39;t field enough Rangers to get into a shoot out - so I pin enemy units to break up the advance and then counter-attack with striking scorpions (they survive well against SM) and howling banshees - which don&#39;t survive quite as well but you should see the dismay on SM players&#39; faces when they realise Bansees all have power weapons
    Nothing is so exhilarating in life as to be shot at with no result. - Winston Churchill

+ Reply to Thread