what's better for tearin' it up in CC?

• striking scorpions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • they both suck

Votes: 0 0.0%

Sorpions Or Banshees?

1K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Super Unknown 
#1 ·
elaborate on your poll answers to help me decide which go better with my playing style. thanks.

#4 ·
LOL so true i hate this stufff, dumb polls.......

But to answer your poll, I think SC are better at hoard armies and SM, but HB are good at heavy units...they die at haords

#5 ·
As an above post mentioned, we need to know your playing style to truly help you. However, since you play Eldar, it can be assumed that you do like speed a certain amount, the same as I. For me, it was Banshees that are my favorite of the two. Scorpians are great at toe to toe hacking battles, it's true, but that's not what I want my army doing. Banshees have fleet of foot, attack first in the first round of combat(and usually do well after that, thanks to decent initiative) and all carry power weapons. If you really need them across the field fast, put them in a transport to protect them, lay down some fire after you get out, and then charge. With a 6 model squad in a Falcon, including an exarch with powerblades, you get 20 attacks on the charge. That's going to lay the hurt on most squads. And throw the executioner on the exarch, give her acrobatic and you can practically choose where her 3 str. 5 power attacks go. After a round or two of battle, the unit is going to be victorious or dead, but really, with Eldar I don't want my troops in CC for more than a round or two anyway.

#6 ·
While not an eldar player, I have faced both of these unit types on several occasions. I play dark angels space marines. While I do not like getting charged by a bunch of scorpions, I downright fear banshees. They get into combat with you in no time and once there they do a LOT of damage in a hurry. Depending on the outcome of this thread, I am going to buy one or the other for a friend of mine. I need to know what the veteran eldar players think first.

-SK

#7 ·
Scorps all the way for me. I've been convinced recently to throw one squad of each into my 3,000pt vanilla force, but I've never really been convinced of Banshee utility.

The Scorps are slower, but that's irrelevant with a transport, and they can infiltrate anyway. Banshees may be handy for ignoring armour, but the scorps' S4 helps out big time in the wounding category, their heavy armour makes for much better survivability (escpecially in conjunction with Fortune), and they are generally more adaptable. The Banshees' main strength also becomes much less relevant against lightly armoured foes. Finally, mandiblasters and haywire are great, and with I5 plasma grenades are just as good as banshee masks in virtually every situation.

So, in favour of Banshees: power weapon often useful, faster, cheaper than Scorpion with grenades.

In favour of Scorpions: everything else.

#9 ·
Scorps: OOH yay i have the same strength of a Space muffin! now let me get crushed by my crap toughness..

Banshees: Come out of the webway, charge into a squad in 1 turn and kill em all. Solved. (note: don't charge stuff with invulnerable saves or mass troops... :hmm: )

#10 ·
Scorps: OOH yay i have the same strength of a Space muffin! now let me get crushed by my crap toughness..

Banshees: Come out of the webway, charge into a squad in 1 turn and kill em all. Solved.
Well, ripping the Scorpions like that did you no good, because they have better Strength than Banshees, and the same toughness. Also, it's a highly biased description. I could just say:

Banshees: OOH yay i have the less strength of a Space muffin! now let me get crushed by my crap toughness and save.

Scorpions: Come out of the webway, charge into a squad in 1 turn and kill em all. Solved.

But, for the arguements sake, lets have a look at 10 scorpions + Exarch vs 10 marines, then 10 Banshees + Exarch vs 10 marines.

Scorpions charge:
10 mandiblasters, 1/2 hit, 1/2 wound, 1/3 failed saves = 1 dead marine.
27 Scorpion attacks, 1/2 hit, 1/2 wound, 1/3 failed saves = 2 dead marines.
4 Exarch attack, 2/3 hit, 5/6 wound, no saves = 2 dead marines.
5 dead marines total.

Marines strike back with 7 attacks (5 marines remain, but the Exarch would have struck last, meaning 7 marines when they strike back), 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 1/3 failed saves = 1 dead Scorpion.

Banshees charge:
27 Banshee attacks, 1/2 hit, 1/3 wound = 5 dead marines.
3 Exarch attacks (Executioner), 2/3 hit, 2/3 wound = 1 dead marine. (maybe 2)

Marines strike back with 4 attacks, 1/2 hit, 2/3 wound, 1/2 failed saves = 1 dead Banshee.

Ass you can see, Scorpions are not far behind the Banshees, however the Scorpions would stand up to shooting for longer, are slightely cheaper, and can have a lot of useful abilities (anti tank grenades, infiltrate). Also, the Scorpions are far more effective against hordes, and therefore win it out for me. Scorpions are generally better.

#11 ·
You can say all you want with your stats dude but those stats dont always help in a batlle. I love banshees because its wound and you get a dead SM if you get a scorp then the SM may still get its armour save. Infiltrating may seem cool but it is often the case that they get shot down pretty fast just because they infiltrate. If just 1 unit infiltrated it is vulnereble and scorps are alot slower then banshees so my vote goes definetly to the banshees.

#12 ·
You can say all you want with your stats dude but those stats dont always help in a batlle.
If you look at the stats, you'll see that Banshees came of better, and your comment goes both ways. Scorpions could get lucky or unlucky, as could Banshees.

Infiltrating may seem cool but it is often the case that they get shot down pretty fast just because they infiltrate
They might, but they might not with a 3+ save. If the Eldar player gets the first turn, then the scorpions will be in combat by turn 2. (providing the enemy doesn't back off, and the Eldar player makes the best use of infiltrate.) It is also useful for diverting fire from the rest of your army. Also, in my experience, people will go for Banshees because they fear them, and Banshees fall faster than Scorpions.

#13 ·
Off corse they fear banshees more there alot scarier for me then some scorps :S
Even my archon would strike even fast as them :S

#14 ·
ok well i think they are the same. they can both be awesome, and they can both suck.

For instance

banshees kick space marine butt
scorpions kick horde armies butt

banshees fleet of foot
scorpions have infiltrate

banshees always go first (on charge)
scorps have mandiblasters

scorps have extra armor
banshees kill more (power armor)(yes i know i reused it....for a purpose!)

anyways i think scorpions are more resilient, they kill less but live longer, while banshees kill more and live less (all vs space marines, and since thats all that people play thats all that matters :lol: )

I personally would go for banshees because i prefer to kill what i attack in CC, and not sit there for extra turns in CC, while i could be moving on the the next squad.

i guess it really depends on your fighting style

#15 ·
I use full squads of both.. Banshees generally need a transport which isa problem where as scorpions do not

THen again I play Biel Tan and use no less than 4 squads of aspect warriors (Scorpions, Banshees, spiders and dragons in particular)

Scorpions are better against 5+ or 6+ saves or larger units and banshees are better against elite troops.. Number 1 thing to watch out for are power weapons as those kill your squads fast

#16 ·
well i'd say this topic did pretty well for being "spam"
from what i've heard i think i'm gonna go with banshees for now and probably add in the scorpions later for my biel tan army (its still in early stages of progress) because my dark reapers and guardians do an adequate job of taking out the hoards and really what i dont have enough defense against is the hq and elite stuff.

#18 ·
Although Banshees look cooler, Scorps are the better unit. They are more versitile and can fight against may different opponents. For example they can hold up against power armor / heavily armoured troops as well as horde armies.

Put a farseer with fortune with the scorps and they are extreamly good, as long as they are not instant killed or hit with a power weapon. :(

Banshees tend create extreamly humorous sights as space marine commanders try to manover their troops around the Banshees, unsuccessfully. :rolleyes: I have both, but tend to go for Scorps except when versing dedicated CC marines (space wolfs and black templars).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.