Starting Orks! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Orks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I give you the questions, ill just tell you I have been playing 4 years now, collect Space Marines (Custom Chapter), Tyranids, and am now considering Orks. Maybe considering is the wrong word, I am 90% sure about getting some green flesh into my collection of 40K.

My questions then are as follows:
    1)Like with space marine chapters and Tyranid Hive Fleets, is it possible - or acceptable - to create your own clan? This question is mainly because I found it great creating both my chapter and hive fleet 2 years ago.

2)I am starting properly as advised this time (500pts a time, paint and everything, next block). What would you say is a good Warlord (wargear and everything), and two close combat squads (Slugga Boyz?)? Also, based on your experience with Orks, how big would you say these squads should be?

3)With the warlord, how easy would it be to give it just a Slugga and Choppa? I ask this mainly because the two available Warlords for sale either have a tyranid ripper strapped to their arm, or have some combi weapon style gun.

4)The same question fro Nobs also. How easy would it be to give these a Choppa and Slugga?

5)Would you advise adding lots of wargear to the Warlord or a retinue or bodyguard? This is tied with question 2.

6)I have seen the rules in the codex for 'Mobbing Up' but am still unsure. What is the reason for this rule, or what effect does it have in a game or campaign? Tied in with this question also (if it doesn't break rules) can you possibly summarise the rule?

Also, any comments on the following army list that I am trying at the moment (using paper). Are there any problems also (since I don't have a codex, and Orks may be the same as Nids in army builder, having the wrong points cost).

HQ
    Warlord - 100pts
    'Eavy Armour, Cybork Body, Bionik Bonce, Tankbusta Bomz, Choppa and Shootier Slugga with more Dakka.

Troops
    Slugga Boyz - 213pts
    16 Boyz, 13 Sluggas and Choppas, 3 Burnas. Also 1 Nob, 'Eavy Armour, Tankbusta Bomz, Bionik Bonce, Cybork Body, Choppa and Slugga.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unit X 2 to satisfy troop choices

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the exam style questions and small essay length post. If you cannot answer all the questions, it does not matter, Im sure someone else can. Thanks again.

Won/Drawn/Lost (Only counting games 1500pts and over)

Space Marines -- Emperor's Legion (3/0/0)
    Tyranids (2/0/0)
    Orks (0/0/0) --Not Yet Ready--

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the winning side. =)

With Orks every army is a new clan. Because of our huge variety of units (6 types of troop choice? 4 elites?) no two armies are the same. Because of the ease of customization, in fact the necessity to customize, they become that much more different. When you add painting to that it goes even further. And then, of course, there's what you're discussing. For clan choices we have Feral, KOS, Evil Sunz, Bad Moonz, Goffs, Snakebites, and so on. There's rules for KOS in the Armageddon codex, Feral in the Chapter Approved 2002 I think, and the clans are in one of the old White Dwarves.

Don't buy a Nob retinue until you've worked up to a good amount of points.

That list looks good right now, but as you go on consider 2 things: Increasing the size of the mobs to 30 (mmmm 30 boyz in a mob) and mixing up the heavy weapons a bit. Ork heavy weapons are ded 'ard and would be cheese if we weren't BS2. Rokkit Launchas are beaut and big shootas are the dakkaest guns on the field. Massive range, high strength, ASSAULT? Yes please!

So switch out some burnas and look at the other army lists and you should be solid.
    Kais Kauyon Tash'var Battle Record
    2/1/0

Waaugh! Shizgrak Battle Record
    2/4/0

W/L/T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much Sandhawk!

I am also (and have been thinking for 30mins now, how sad) a name for my new clan. Maybe someone could give me some general ules for naming, or some ideas.

30 Boyz a mob sounds nice, on the charge, with slugga and choppa, that would be 120 attacks (if they all got to the enemies front line&#33.

When my Ork army size starts to grow, would you advise dropping wargear on the warboss for the retinue?

Outstanding questions still also:
    1) With the warlord, how easy would it be to give it just a Slugga and Choppa? I ask this mainly because the two available Warlords for sale either have a tyranid ripper strapped to their arm, or have some combi weapon style gun.

2)The same question fro Nobs also. How easy would it be to give these a Choppa and Slugga?

*With 1 and 2, these are with 'Eavy Armour*

3)I have seen the rules in the codex for 'Mobbing Up' but am still unsure. What is the reason for this rule, or what effect does it have in a game or campaign? Tied in with this question also (if it doesn't break rules) can you possibly summarise the rule?

One additional question also based on the last post. How many burnas should I keep in my slugga boyz units?

Tyranids (2/0/0)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Warboss Bodygaurd is a huge points sink. I wouldnt use one untill your getting up into the 2000+ points range, the points are better spent on more boyz or vehicles.

I wouldnt recommed 30 boys. 120 attacks is tempting, but your not going to get all your boys into CC. I say stick to somewhere around 20. Always take the same heavy weapons in a squad. For your list above, id say take Rokkits in one mob.

For the warbosses... one comes in a blister with a Custom Slugga/BigShoota/Kombi Weapon/Choppa, the other has an Attack squig (what you called a Ripper) and Kombi Skorcha.... Some people will also use the AttackSquig as a Bionic arm or Choppa. I bitz order stuff for my warboss... i have a Choppa and a Power Claw, a lot of people take this option. You can use the Power Claw like a Power Fist, or the Choppa at I4 or I8 if you Waaaghed! it can really send a shockwave through a squad of Termies... 4+save max!

About the Clans... the rules for Feral Orks are in Chapter Approved 2004, the rules for Kult of Speed are in Codex: Armegeddon and the rules for the other clans are in UK White Dwarf 289 or US White Dwarf 290.

Equiping Nobs... because of the mixed armor rule, its usless to give your nob Mega/Heavy armour... a Cybork body is a good choice if you have extra points though.

The mobbing up rule.... If a mob falls back they can attempt to mob up with another mob within 6" of the fall back corridor. You make a leadership test and if you pass, the 2 mobs become one. Thats basicly how it works... Grots cant mob up.

Hope this helps ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

1)Like with space marine chapters and Tyranid Hive Fleets, is it possible - or acceptable - to create your own clan?
    YES!! in fact it's best if you do. The best part about orks is customising your army with its own theme/clan personalties.

6)I have seen the rules in the codex for 'Mobbing Up' but am still unsure. What is the reason for this rule, or what effect does it have in a game or campaign? Tied in with this question also (if it doesn't break rules) can you possibly summarise the rule?
    Like with most armies your boyz have to take morale checks pretty regularlly. If you fail your leadership and your mob size your guys will have to fall back and most likely won't have 50% left to regroup. so if they fall back near another mob of boyz they can "mob up" with them or combine the 2 mobs together. all you do is take a leadership test for the mob falling back and if you pass your boys join the mob and make an even bigger mob. So they falling back boys can continue to fight as normal in thier new mob.

2)I am starting properly as advised this time (500pts a time, paint and everything, next block). What would you say is a good Warlord (wargear and everything), and two close combat squads (Slugga Boyz?)? Also, based on your experience with Orks, how big would you say these squads should be?
    If your going to go 500 points at a time here is a list i would suggest:

HQ:
    warboss w/ heavy armor, kustom shoota (strength 5 assualt 2), choppa

Troops:
    19 slugga boyz 3 w/ rockets
    19 slugga boyz 3 w/ big shootas

Heavysupport:
    1 killa kan w/ big shoota

This is an easy basic list that you can build on. When your done with this i would finsh the killa kan mob with another 2. put some nobs in your mobs, and you might want to think about adding some warbikes or grots to halp shield your boyz.
    Giving your nobz soo much wargear is a waste of points. I would add nobz later and when you have them lead your squad give them bighorns/iron gobs (to raise thier leadership) and a powerclaw (so you can take down dreads/tanks easy in cc)
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help so far guys/gals!

Still two questions oustanding though.

How easy is it to model a warlord and nob how your want them, from a normal blister? I have decided, after testing the list from Gathrog using paper, to use this army list.
    Also, how do you paint your flesh on your Orks? I have searched the internet, but people paint them in so many different colours. I am looking for 1 COLOUR ONLY that looks great for Orkz skin.

Thanks again for all the help you have given me.

Tyranids (2/0/0)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One color just doesnt add enough definition to make your Orks look strong and dangerous. An easy way to paint is Black Primer, Dark Angels Green, Goblin Green, green Ink wash. But when painting consider this, the more important or strong an Ork is, usualy the darker the skin will be.

painting them gets easier in time. But you'll be painting tons, so use a method that works for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goblin Green. Add white or black and you can do anything.
    Kais Kauyon Tash'var Battle Record
    2/1/0

Waaugh! Shizgrak Battle Record
    2/4/0

W/L/T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

how do you paint your flesh on your Orks? I have searched the internet, but people paint them in so many different colours. I am looking for 1 COLOUR ONLY that looks great for Orkz skin.
    I'm cheapo when it comes to painting ork skin, for my nobz and warboss i do a base coat of goblin green and then lightlly coat darkangels green really consintrating between the muscles. For my normal boyz two coats of goblin green looks good to me :lol:

How easy is it to model a warlord and nob how your want them, from a normal blister?
    The truth is it's pretty hard to try and model the warboss and nobz blisters. Nobz are better b/c you can buy a vast varity of them. So you can easily pick up the model you want that shows its wargear. But the warboss is alot bigger then other orks, and GW only makes 2 kinds of warbosses the one with the wargear listed in my army list. and the one with the attack squid thingy. so if you want your warboss to have cybork body, tankbusta bombs, and stuff like that your going to have to be creative.
    What is dis signature nonsence?! dem stupid human zoggers are always trien to confuze us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a good article in WD300 (at least in the UK edition) by Adrian Wood. It has tips on painting and force composition, and the codex has lots of tips on painting ork skin (but you knew that).

The Feral Orks article was reprinted in the Warhammer 40,000 Annual 2004.

AR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast