How Would You Fight This? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I am learning, have found a local place to play.

here is what I faced at 1000 points.

Demon prince, with some sword that gives him a 4+ invulnerable, and something that gives him "feel no pain", and spikey bits.

A bloodthirster.

I was told that each squad of 7 chaos marines and the 1 guy who would die and become the bloodthirster were 300 points each, then the demon prince and blood thirster together were 400 points. Making the 1000 points.

14 (2 squads) chaos space marines with chain axes and mark of khorne?, and some other bonus things..

He had 2 guys, each part of a different squad of chaos, 1 of the who would change into the bloodthirster etc.. I'm sure you guys know how this stuff works, but I am learning.

Ok. So I take lord w/veil & orb, 26 warriors, 5 destroyers, and 1 heavy destroyer. The demon prince pretty much rushes me, and I get a few rounds of worthless shooting before we are in close combat (think I got 1 wound on him). Then I veil out, and rapid fire with both squads, causing no wounds, this goes on another round and I veil off the board. Eventually my destroyers take out the demon prince, but stand no chance to the assaulting blood thirster, and the ever so slowly advancing chaos marines.

I basically got wiped out by the two big guys, period. The chaos marines did close to nothing. Sure I veiled off the board, but at the rate I was losing guys, it wouldn't have mattered, since his blood thirster didn't even get started yet (two bad rolls to get him in).

Soooo.... How do I fight something like that? I think it is cheese to take the deciever or nightbringer on a 1000 point game, but then again it seems as though I am facing cheese. I mentioned it in passing to the manager at our local games workshop (different place than where I played), he told me that if that list came down in his shop he'd have a talk with the guy and would ask him to only take 1 of the monstrous creatures.

So are these types of armies normal at 1000 points? It is pretty much no fun, since I will be basically be forced to play a C'Tan no matter what. I really wanted 1 list to be well rounded, that would be fun against all races, but it seems like that will be impossible at this rate.

Thanks,
    Justin

Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in a 1000 point game he's got 2 monstrous creatures and the bare minimum amount of troops? i kinda did this once with 13th company (using characters not MC's) but thats because i had to have 2 hq's. i would definately say he's a powergamer so don't hesitate to take a c'tan. but if you want a rounded list just take 2 different ones. one with the c'tan to face that guy and a normal one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a perfectly reasonable response to all his stupid chaos monsters then use a lord with warscythe, destroyer body and the inv. save(forgot what it is called). This way he needs 4's to wound you and you get a save against it while he gets none whatsoever.

Otherwise, take the nightbringer and tell him to come and get it.
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Brother Marius@Dec 13 2004, 04:17
    If you want a perfectly reasonable response to all his stupid chaos monsters then use a lord with warscythe, destroyer body and the inv. save(forgot what it is called). This way he needs 4's to wound you and you get a save against it while he gets none whatsoever.

Otherwise, take the nightbringer and tell him to come and get it.
    [snapback]274014[/snapback]
    yep, I agree, or go ahead and plunk the points out there and use both. I've used a monolith and a nightbringer in a 1000 point game, and didn't take a single casualty through the whole game (against blood angels)

you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop the nightbringer in his lap and see how long that bare minimum DP lasts.

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

EDIT: Never mind, found an answer to my own question in the first post....sorry.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

I would've gone heavy destroyers and a Monolith.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't know what I was facing until we deployed. In hindsight I would've taken my deciever and two heavies and forgo the veil. I built the list to be fair and work for better or worse against whatever was on the board at 1000 points.

What can I say, I got slaughtered. Guess I will have to cheese up to play against that.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by justinb67@Dec 13 2004, 02:26
    OK, I am learning, have found a local place to play.

here is what I faced at 1000 points.

Demon prince, with some sword that gives him a 4+ invulnerable, and something that gives him "feel no pain", and spikey bits.

A bloodthirster.

I was told that each squad of 7 chaos marines and the 1 guy who would die and become the bloodthirster were 300 points each, then the demon prince and blood thirster together were 400 points. Making the 1000 points.

14 (2 squads) chaos space marines with chain axes and mark of khorne?, and some other bonus things..

He had 2 guys, each part of a different squad of chaos, 1 of the who would change into the bloodthirster etc.. I'm sure you guys know how this stuff works, but I am learning.

Ok. So I take lord w/veil & orb, 26 warriors, 5 destroyers, and 1 heavy destroyer. The demon prince pretty much rushes me, and I get a few rounds of worthless shooting before we are in close combat (think I got 1 wound on him). Then I veil out, and rapid fire with both squads, causing no wounds, this goes on another round and I veil off the board. Eventually my destroyers take out the demon prince, but stand no chance to the assaulting blood thirster, and the ever so slowly advancing chaos marines.

I basically got wiped out by the two big guys, period. The chaos marines did close to nothing. Sure I veiled off the board, but at the rate I was losing guys, it wouldn't have mattered, since his blood thirster didn't even get started yet (two bad rolls to get him in).

Soooo.... How do I fight something like that? I think it is cheese to take the deciever or nightbringer on a 1000 point game, but then again it seems as though I am facing cheese. I mentioned it in passing to the manager at our local games workshop (different place than where I played), he told me that if that list came down in his shop he'd have a talk with the guy and would ask him to only take 1 of the monstrous creatures.

So are these types of armies normal at 1000 points? It is pretty much no fun, since I will be basically be forced to play a C'Tan no matter what. I really wanted 1 list to be well rounded, that would be fun against all races, but it seems like that will be impossible at this rate.

Thanks,
    Justin
    [snapback]273970[/snapback]
    Sounds like a classic Khorne Deamon Prince... I used to play a guy whith almost the same list, I lost the first game to him than i never lost to him again.

Use a Nightbringer, he's Khorne he can't avoid it--if nighty gets into combat whith the Prince one hit and he's dead (instant kill uses unmoded T). And he should take out the Bloodthirster like he was nothing. Last time I played this guy the Nightbringer took out almost his whole army.

+ Reply to Thread