Wings Biomorph And Cover - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I notice lots of folks like to upgrade the larger bugs with wings. One thing about wings is that a unit equipped with them cannot enter difficult terrain. Even worse, if forced through them (say they break) the model suffers a wound (codex pg 3.

In the new Q&A, GW has ammended that jump pack equipped models that have legs (SM, DE, Eldar, even Tau) can chose to 'walk' into difficult terrain instead of using their jump packs. Tyranids do not have this option (under the section listed, Other Stuff). If I were an opponent, I'd make sure I had plenty of units hanging out in cover, shooting the hell out of the winged units. All the time being safe knowing full well that the Nid winged units cannot assault into cover.

Has anyone had any bad experieinces with not being able to assault an enemy in cover because of this rule?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

other then the disgusting point cost for wings on a tyrant that was the first problem i saw with them. i would rather use fleshhooks and blow over walls and building like they where nothing.... the best feature with tyranids is there ability to run through thick cover faster then anyone other army, and with fleet of claw you face no movment penelty for the extra d6 movment but so many people seem to toss this away. i will say it once more for the record winged tyrants suck unless your head hunting with them, and even at that its alot of points for a creature that isnt going to live long.

XG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick is to balance your army so you don't have too many winged creatures. I love my Gargoyles and they serve me well. They can fly all the way across the board in one turn with some good die rolls. Winged Tyrants and Warriors are great but personally I have a VC armed Tyrant with Guard instead.

The opponent can be driven out of cover with your other units, ie Genestealers and Gaunts, while your winged creatures take care of whats in the open. Keep in mind if you have too much cover, then shooting will be an issue and the Tyranid foot troops will have a decided advantage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take it easy on winged hive tyrant they don't suck. I dunno why you think they suck when the most powerful close combat able tyranid creature excluding biotitans. They can move 12 inches. 6 attacks on charge --- (3+) hit---(2,3+) to wound, no save in most cases. And I prefer warp blast over a weapon for a winged tyrant because you make up the range loose in the movement gain

I think YOU just suck at using a winged hivetyrant and you think its the hive tyrants fault so you blame the hivetyrant instead of yourself. 40pts????? alot????? huh i dont follow you how 40pts is a lot. what kinda games do you play 200pt games? oh yea, buddy.... you can have flesh hooks AND wings it sounded like you rather have flesh hooks than wings cuz you can only pick one, which is wrong.
    I'm not even sure if you have a hive tyrant and your just telling me something you saw in a game or something someone told you. If thats the case tell em what i told you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...winged hive tyrant ...I dunno why you think they suck when the most powerful close combat able tyranid creature...
    However, I find not being able assault units in cover rather restricting in the CC abilities of Tyrants. Granted, typically you should have many enemy units available as targets. But if I 'needed' to get the Tyrant into an assualt to support a unit, I'd have to recognize in certain situations the wings are a hinderance. I'm just wondering if others felt the addtional move benifit outweighed the restruction of not being to able to move in cover (assualt).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that when the table is loaded with cover its kind of a downer for wings. Unless your pretty loose with your money, you could buy 2 tyranid hive tyrants, and use the unwinged one for loaded terrain battles. But if you play a lot of games, with/without wings on the tyrant, you can see for yourself if they were/werenot worth it.
    I've played a lot of games with my winged, 2 talon, warp blast, hive tyrant and there have been a few....games that i'd rather not have wings. These were games usually when the senario involved me being the attacker, so the other race "camps" in cover. Really annoying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Unit04@Sep 9 2003, 07:30

The opponent can be driven out of cover with your other units, ie Genestealers and Gaunts, while your winged creatures take care of whats in the open.
    that is a very important part of having winged tyranids in my opinion, use hormagaunts because if they are armed with scything talons they will move 6, with good rolls they will move another 6, and then the bounding leap rules let them assault 12. drive your oponants out of cover then get your winged nids into close combat and finish them off. this is my personal stratergy even though i haven't got any winged creatures right now but i have seen it work with other models.

Closed Thread