How To Use Tomb Spyder And Monolith - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

I have some general ideas on how to use each, but I'm not quite sure. I know that the Tombspyders stick with warriors, and attack in cc when possible. Is there any thing else they are good for? Would one be wise to take one out on its own as a tank hunter? Also, is the PP any good for either situation?

The monolith. I have heard that you can keep it behind your troop lines, and use it as a escape way. Would this be good for an army with a VoD lord, and his unit, since they will be off doing other stuff, and they warriors will then get 2 wbb, and saftey teleporting. also, is it a good plan it DS monos behind enemy line, and either teleport a unit from your side, or disembark a reserve squad, to get the enemy from behind?

Any help would be very apreciated. also, if theres any other good strategys for using these two units, please tell me.

While I'm thinking about it, whats a good way to paint the monolith? I think I have a few main ideas, but I'm not sure. First, metailc black with gold/silver highlights, not sure where. second, black with green highlights, like in the codex, since htis goes with anything. third, a colorchanging spraypaint, with two of the folloing colors, black, green, gold and sivler. what do you think? thanks for your help. ^_^

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

Tomb Spiders:
    Think of these as Sergeants of sorts for Necrons. If they are positioned along your Warriors' fireline, they make the line much harder to assault as the Tomb Spider's relatively poor WS is counterbalanced by the fact that it hits so hard and so often. Plus, the Scarab Swarms they can create add to their hand-to-hand prowess. (In this respect, it's not the best idea to equip them with a Particle Projector, as they don't shoot very well, and it's not like the Warriors are really down on fire power. The Particle Projector isn't Gauss, either, so no auto-wound/auto-glance on sixes. It's a choice between 3 no-armor-save attacks, or 2 no-armor-save attacks and three shots of poorly-aimed, but decent anti-marine fire.) As a tank hunter, I would not be too confident in them. Sure, they hit really hard, but they're slow, and if they're not within the thick of the Necrons they can't assist with "We'll Be Back" and that's they're real function. Plus, the Necrons rarely suffer for lack of anti-armor capability.

Monoliths:
    These things have an additional ability not listed in the Codex or any FAQ: they cause the Necrons' opponent to mess himself. Everything the Monolith does is great. You could keep it behind the lines, but its fire, which is pretty short-ranged, would be wasted. Deep-striking it is great, as now you've got another means to teleport. This makes the Necrons very fast. Pulling a Squad of Immortals, Wraiths, or Flayed Ones through the portal is nice because they're not landing all by themselves, rather, in the intimidating shadow of the Monolith. The Monolith is far more straight-forward than the Tomb Spider: move, pull Necrons in, shoot the bejeezus out of something, and soak fire.

Painting Monoliths:
    So far, the Codex version is the best I've seen. The flat surfaces make it more receptive to taking GW's poor-quality decal sheets, so you don't have to freehand everything.
    Making the monolith be very, very, black and giving it a semi-gloss finish makes it look like an ancient basalt structure, like something out of a Lovecraft story. It's easy to paint, too. This is where putting some green highlights around the crystalline components would really give it a nice, sickly glow.
    I've seen a Monolith done with an opalescent finish, but the sprays are usually pretty heavy and obscure the details. The shimmering effect was neat, though.
    With my own Monolith, I rigged-up a small LED and battery pack inside beneath the big cystal. I turn it on in games and it makes the crystal glow. It's very cool, and can distract your opponent, too.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Originally posted by Quickasawink@Dec 18 2004, 11:42
    With my own Monolith, I rigged-up a small LED and battery pack inside beneath the big cystal. I turn it on in games and it makes the crystal glow. It's very cool, and can distract your opponent, too.
    [snapback]279655[/snapback]
    I"ve seen that before, maybe even yours, iono. THanks for the help, I think I know how I'm goning to use these two units now.

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

+ Reply to Thread