Librarium Online Forums banner

Mech Tau Or Kroot Mercs?

810 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Lost Nemesis 
#1 ·
I had thought I was going to stick with Mech Tau, but after exposing myself to Kroot Mercs I can't decide which one would be more fun to play! I love both army lists, and I would like some input here...I have around $140 from Christmas to play around with 40k-wise, and I already have some FW...but I love Kroot to death.

I think I might stick to Mech Tau, but I would like some opinions.

#2 ·
The only comment I can make apart from it being a "good" or "bad" army is that it looks like it can be a conversion dream (or a nightmare).

I'm sure you collect a small band and give it a try it using small battles as a change of pace from Tau. It would probably give you a little more familiarity with them and the time you need to convert trackers or vultures to the mercs.

#3 ·
Originally posted by shaggai@Dec 25 2004, 17:28
The only comment I can make apart from it being a "good" or "bad" army is that it looks like it can be a conversion dream (or a nightmare).

I'm sure you collect a small band and give it a try it using small battles as a change of pace from Tau. It would probably give you a little more familiarity with them and the time you need to convert trackers or vultures to the mercs.
[snapback]286190[/snapback]​
Biggest problem I have with a small Kroot Merc force - IMO they will be overwhelmed in anythng less than 1000 points, simply because in order for my Tank-Hunters to be fully equipped, it will cost a LOT of points...

#5 ·
Originally posted by Tonya Tau@Dec 25 2004, 17:59

Do both. Yeck, this doesnt have to be a quick hobby.

Many people have been doing 40k for 10+ years. Just take your time, find what you like, and just work up. Id start with both. Your going to need some Kroot with your Mech tau anyways. This way you can have your cake, and eat it too.

[snapback]286209[/snapback]​
Actually...I, uh...don't use Kroot in any of my Mech Tau lists...

#6 ·
I assume that you're planning on a Kroot Army instead of a mercenary addition to another force, correct?

I'm just wondering in that case what are you planning on a tank-hunter brigade. It seems for the most part that you'd have to spend heavy duty points on the armory for the shapers to get access to meltaguns and eviscerators to even have a chance at penetrating serious armor (e.g., land raider, monoliths). Nothing else the mercs have seem to be well suited to anti-armor (although I can't comment on FW stuff).

Of course, I don't know how it works this week- but if anti-armor is important you could always use them as mercs to an Armored Company :D

#7 ·
Originally posted by shaggai@Dec 25 2004, 21:49
I assume that you're planning on a Kroot Army instead of a mercenary addition to another force, correct?

I'm just wondering in that case what are you planning on a tank-hunter brigade. It seems for the most part that you'd have to spend heavy duty points on the armory for the shapers to get access to meltaguns and eviscerators to even have a chance at penetrating serious armor (e.g., land raider, monoliths). Nothing else the mercs have seem to be well suited to anti-armor (although I can't comment on FW stuff).

Of course, I don't know how it works this week- but if anti-armor is important you could always use them as mercs to an Armored Company :D
[snapback]286321[/snapback]​
Actually, I went the mile and in my army list I have Master Shaper and Shaper Council as HQ - all with Meltaguns and Wings. They infiltrate with a 20-strong squad of Vulture Kindred who act as LOS blocking, Leadership test forcing bodyguards.

The army I planned I gave too much EQ to them, and I still had 102 models...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.