Great Pathfinder Strategy Against 3+ - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve read many-a-post about people having problems using pathfinders. Now I’m sure someone has came up with this tactic, and therefore not taking credit for it, but I’m sure that the rest of the Tau community would like to hear about it. Okay, here we go…
    This strategy is mainly for Mech Tau against any 3+ armies and theoretically it should be a great ‘cron killing tactic(compared to the ones we have currently). Also a bit pricey, but it works well in medium- to-large battles.
    8 pathfinders, 3 rail rifles, shas’ui, HW target lock, bonded(?) devilfish, dis. pod, multi tracker……253pts (bonded)
    Prior to the first turn, they get to make an extra move, so move them out preferably on a hill or in a building on you’re inner left or right flank so they can operate efficiently, but so that they aren’t the main targets to get shot at. Now they’re in position. If the enemy gets first turn, then lay low and make sure that they don’t get targeted (that’s why you need to choose a position carefully). On your turn your leader can/will target something else for your crisis suits. The rest of your squad that has markerlights will target an advancing necron or SM squad and ‘light ‘em up’. Finally the three rail rifles will use the markerlight’s hits and easily kill 2-3 SMurfs a turn. Any unused markerlight shots could be used by a crisis or seeker. So you have 3 shas’o BS equalivant marine hunting shots, crisis shots coming from nowhere and possibly seekers firing away, all because of one squad. And all in just one turn. It should work well against slow squads.
    So what do you guys think? I’m gonna write an army list soon for ‘crons and SMurfs and post in the army list section using this tactic.
    PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

The only thing that is stopping you from being what you can be is what you think other people think about you.
    ----------------------------------------
    If you could say one thing to the world, what would it be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by TAU Master@Jan 1 2005, 00:15
    * SNIP *
    On your turn your leader can/will target something else for your crisis suits. The rest of your squad that has markerlights will target an advancing necron or SM squad and ‘light ‘em up’. Finally the three rail rifles will use the markerlight’s hits and easily kill 2-3 SMurfs a turn. Any unused markerlight shots could be used by a crisis or seeker. So you have 3 shas’o BS equalivant marine hunting shots, crisis shots coming from nowhere and possibly seekers firing away, all because of one squad. And all in just one turn. * It should work well against slow squads.
    So what do you guys think? I’m gonna write an army list soon for ‘crons and SMurfs and post in the army list section using this tactic.
    PS: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!*

[snapback]290483[/snapback]
    OK, the problem is that can't be done. The unit fires at once, even the shas'ui with the markerlight & target lock. Thus anyone in this unit cannot take advantage of the markerlight fired by this unit. So the idea of using the rail rifles with the painted bonus from markerlights fired from within the same unit can't be done. They can set up the hits for someone else, however.

In this case you'd almost do better with a pair pathfinder units, using one to help light up targets for the other. Come to think of it, no matter how stupid it sounds - I wonder if you can use a markerlight bonus with a markerlight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be kinda pointless. "Oh, look! Red team has that squad lit up. Now we can waste their markerlight, which is all ready there, to shoot our markerlight at!"
    Tau'n Expeditionary force:
    W/L/T
    Marines:4/1/1
    IG:2/0/0
    Chaos:1/1/0

Iron Warriors:
    W/L/T
    Marines:3/0/1
    IG:0/0/1
    Tau:0/1/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The general tactic of using two pathfinders to support each other sounds interesting. Given their ability to move into posistions with the devilfish, this could be used to get at the flanks of vehicles that are out of LOS for the heavier rail weapons. Someone else can elaborate futher. I just thought it was an interesting idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CRAP!!!!! :realmad: I knew there was something wrong with it. But I guess that it would work with 2 pathfinder squads cooperating with each other. So my strategy could only work in larger games. But let me change it slightly; I'll use the markerlight shots for other crisis suits. Now that I think about it, I'd rather use them for crisis suits. Oh well, but it's not that big of a loss. It should still work well vs. 3+ armies.
    The only thing that is stopping you from being what you can be is what you think other people think about you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warpaw, I intended my last post to be before yours, but I'll elaborate in this one. The two squads will get an extra move, so deploy them like I said, one in the inner left flank, and the other in the inner right flank. Don't deploy them too far ahead, maybe 10''-14'' past the board edge. This gives you falling back room if the enemy gets too close. If any squads move down the center, than they're dead. The markerlight shots will light them up for crisis suits, and the rail rifles will chew 'em up. If a squad is out of range for one group of pathfinders than the crisis on that flank will help out to kill them, and/or they could launch seekers for heavy enemys and tanks. Paathfinders are a very good support squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does sound like an interesting idea indeed. Unless your packing some serious firepower, though, two full squads of Pathfinders is a waste. For that to be truly effective you would need something like 3 Ionheads, several Crisis Suits, and something else. Otherwise you're wasting markerlights on Str 5 shots. We want to be using marker lights with high Str or low AP weapons. You really never want to use rail rifles with markerlights. It's good if alot of your marker light shots hit, but, IMHO, there's always a better weapon to use.
    Two small squads has the option of manuver but I find that once I move my pathfinders to a spot they stay there. I also pefer not to use rail rifles just because that extra markerlight shot can make the difference between a dead Landraider or a angry Landraider. That's just me though.
    TOGIT and Roll To Wound. Any group or store wants to challenge us come to our forum and tell us. Our group of gamers is getting stale and were all jumping for a new challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, BadKarma, you need to read shaggai's post about it not being possible. And also the rail rifle is a high strength, low AP weapon, and not str 5. About the extra markerlight shot, 2 squads will have more than enough shots (8 normal shots and 2 leader shots).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the one thing is that you want the markerlights to paint hard targets (i.e. vehicles) while the rail rifles go after hardened infantry (read: Space Marines). Which is one of the main reasons that you would want to buy the Target Lock Interface for the rifles and use it even at the risk of casulaties from the TLI. Once all the seeker missiles and/or hard targets are gone, then you can go about painting infantry squads and whatever else is left - and the rail rifles can become just another weapon to use.

If you really wanted to get a better hit chance with the rail rifles, you might choose to upgrade a FW to a shas'ui w/markerlight. That way when his squad fires at a soft target, one of your railguns in the pathfinder squad can use the bonus. This would require multiple FW squads (with shas'ui w/ markerlights) if you wanted multiple railguns in a pathfinder squad to gain a bonus. Perhaps it might be a waste, but then again a rail rifle fired under a TLI with a bonus will either hit or kill the firing trooper - not a bad gamble compared to the 50% hit, 33% miss and 16% dead when fired normally with the TLI.

Overall however, the entire thing becomes an exercise with redunancy, optimizing fire, and a huge amount of points which could have been better placed elsewhere, at least in my opinion.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by shaggai@Jan 2 2005, 00:56
    Well, the one thing is that you want the markerlights to paint hard targets (i.e. vehicles) while the rail rifles go after hardened infantry (read: Space Marines). Which is one of the main reasons that you would want to buy the Target Lock Interface for the rifles and use it even at the risk of casulaties from the TLI. Once all the seeker missiles and/or hard targets are gone, then you can go about painting infantry squads and whatever else is left - and the rail rifles can become just another weapon to use.

If you really wanted to get a better hit chance with the rail rifles, you might choose to upgrade a FW to a shas'ui w/markerlight. That way when his squad fires at a soft target, one of your railguns in the pathfinder squad can use the bonus. This would require multiple FW squads (with shas'ui w/ markerlights) if you wanted multiple railguns in a pathfinder squad to gain a bonus. Perhaps it might be a waste, but then again a rail rifle fired under a TLI with a bonus will either hit or kill the firing trooper - not a bad gamble compared to the 50% hit, 33% miss and 16% dead when fired normally with the TLI.

Overall however, the entire thing becomes an exercise with redunancy, optimizing fire, and a huge amount of points which could have been better placed elsewhere, at least in my opinion.
    [snapback]291147[/snapback]
    Not exactly, shaggai, as for painting "hard" targets - is a unit of snipers or some other unit that can cause a lot of damage hiding in very good cover not a "hard" target? I would probably paint them first, as a BS4 Railgun from a Hammerhead won't benefit very much from the Markerlight's 2+ to hit - but it's submunitions will work WONDERS on the infiltrators over there and by ignoring their cover with a markerlight, it would be a tasty hit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast