Necron Weaknesses - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone. In an attempt to assuage the constant bitching and moaning that many necron players fall victim too, I've decided to attempt to construct a list of necron weaknesses that people seem to constantly deny that they have. As such, with each listing, let's hear if you agree/disagree and why that is. Additionally, I'd like to hear your own suggestions for necron weaknesses. Heh, now, myself being a necron player, I am KEENLY aware of what weaknesses they have. Let's see how many I can bring to light:

--Points Cost - The Necron army probably has some of the most expensive base and higher quality units out of any of the other armies. That being said, each necron unit is now slightly more precious and anytime a necron gets killed, the army takes a bigger hit than most other armies, both in terms of points and numbers (as now there are precious few left)

-- Low Initiative - Let's face it, Necrons are lazy, apathetic bastards who'd rather be gorging themselves on the bodies and souls of the fallen Imperium, than fighting their sorry asses. The vast majority of necron units have low initiative, with the exception of the HQ and the Wraiths. A wise opponent knows well to take advantage of this fact in close combat; first strike it ALWAYS the advantageous position. I can even recount a time when a 20 man squad of warriors got oblitered by a squad of 10 terminators, or 2 squads of 5, I forget =( The result of that hth kill fest subsequently caused my army to phase out as the bulk of it had just been destroyed in one fell swoop.

-- No Long Range Weapons - Max range on any of the necron weapons is 36" and even then it's few and far between. Many other armies, if not all, have extremely powerful weapons that are far outside the range of the necron weaponry. A good opponent knows to take advantage of this and attempt to get his army placed such that he/she can still lob shots at the opposing player while they minimize the amount of return fire they'll take. Additionally, it's important that the necron army advances closer to the enemy to maximize their firepower which, given some of the armies out there that are proficient in HtH combat, can be quite devastating to an army.

-- Speed - Necrons are slow mofo's. Granted they have units that can move 12" in a turn and assault 6, but in order for a detatchment of necrons to be fully effective, they must slow down and stick together with the rest of the group. Any necron player would know what I'm talking about: you generally set up lines of warriors in front and put your destroyers and other big guns in the back. These destroyers can move 12", but in order to be kept safe they must move along with the slower, more cumbersome warrior unit. In other words, it takes a long time for the necrons to move and get in range for their weaponry to be fully effective. Excellent commanders know that they need to take their time before they can bring the pain, and might likewise do what they can to take advantage of this fact.

-- Lack of Variety - With necron players, you ALWAYS know what they're going to field; ALWAYS. If you don't, then you havn't been doing your reading. Most other armies have at least some degree of flexibility and choice that they may exercise. Other armies are customizable to either the player's strategic style or personal preferences. Not so with a necron army. Looking back over the codex. we have a grand total of 12, yes count em, 12 choices that we can field for our army, including the monolith and the c'tan. Um, w00t?

-- EXTREME Interdependability - The Necrons are EXTREMELY interdependent upon one another. It is true that each unit has they're own special abilities and things that only they can do. BUT ONLY THEY CAN DO THEM. Think of what happens if a Lord gets destroyed, or better yet, The Monolith? You lose all the unique abilities that much of your army relies on to survive and continue fighting. It is quite true that the necrons pack a punch, but their system is so inflexible that if it springs a leak anywhere, it could be quite devastating to the army.

-- Power in Numbers (or Lack thereof) - Many necron players have preached to other players that the warriors are the way to go; you must destroy the warriors to make an army phase out, and I keep thinking, DUH. Necron Warriors more than any other unit make up the bulk of the necron army. They also happen to be the most fragile unit of the entire necron army. Good players know that if by massing all of you fire on a squad of necron warriors, and thus destroying that squad, chances are they will not get to come back. You will have just blown a major hole in the necron army and sent them plummeting toward phase out. Warriors are the key.

-- PHASE OUT - If it hasn't been said once, I'll say it again. PHASE OUT! Phase Out is THE core necron weakness. As just described above, phase out can be reached using the above modus operandi. Bear in mind that the necrons must leave if only 25% of their army remains. The best way to make sure that they get wittled down is to have your army concentrate all they can on a squad of warriors until they are dead and stay dead. It may even require you to ignore the monolith and C'tan, as you must concentrate on keeping at the warriors or other necrons.

Well, that's all I can think of for the moment, and I'm quite sure I left quite a bit out. At any rate, let's hear what you guys have to say.

Timbo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

three other things, two of which are mostly benifical to marine type armys
    Crons barly have any ap 3 weapons or better. Infact I think theirs two or three, the heavy gauss cannon, the particle whip, and the staff of light. Thats good news for our 3+ friends.
    Second, only ONE weapon in cc that ignores saves, the war scyhte, and only lords and pariahs get it, again, good news for those with with good saves
    and third, one attack, the majorty of the army has only one attack, couple that with you will be getting your saves from those attacks, and crons arn't really that good in cc, add in their short range weapons, and well the crons are in trouble, especially against CC armys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

I disagree on two points. Cost and Range.

Cost: Yes 18 points is expensive for the basic troop. But that's all. Other armies add wargear and options up to 20-25 points per infantry model.

Range: You have Destroyers (and tankbusting Hvy Destroyers) zipping around at 12' a turn with heavy weapons that fire 36'. What's not to like?
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wooo 36 inches on two models... yay... take chaos for instance, you can get 48 inch weapons in your basic squads, also, again, the 12 inches don't really help, as you generaly want them to be with your main force.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take Tau for instance... Their basic troop has a weapon of ST5 and range of 30". Additionally, up to half of that squad can take carbines which cause the wounded squad to take a pinning test. Woo indeed.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea but the necron player at my sotre fiedls about 2 squads of warriors, a lord on destryoer body andlike 10-15 destroyers. so far, noboyd has beat him.

rnage isnt an issue when u can veil units across the board.
    <insert witty remark here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, lesse, let&#39;s go with 2 full squads of warriors, a full loaded lord (destroyer body, phase shiter, resurrection orb) and 15 Destroyers. Lesse, that comes to about 1670 points. And NO ONE at your store as a 1670 point force that can beat them? Impossible, I say Heh. The people at your store havn&#39;t listened to our advice, have they

And the veil is a crappy piece of necron equipment. Each time you want to teleport, you have to use the deep strike rules to find out where you land. You all too often run the risk of landing off the board, onto terrain, onto enemy troops or getting lost in the warp on the roll of a snake eyes. And even if you do land and manage to get some shooting done, the army will turn and blast you out of the water before you have the chance to get away again. Heh, all in all, the veil ain&#39;t what it&#39;s cracked up to be

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys are dumbasses, necorns dont need to be mobile or have reely long ranged weapons, they got viel of darkness, necrons are 4 experianced players becuase of ther limits in numbers, like teh other day i used 32 worriors 8 scarabs 2 lords and 3 destroyersallied with 2 small squads of gardians and 2 reapers, and i took out a entire 2000 piotn army of chaos with abadon.

chaos are eazily the best army so u cant brag about how good u are with them cuz u have no excuse to lose using one ,ther so ***** easy to use"ooh we have range 48 weapons in out basic squads" slayer u suck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys are dumbasses, necorns dont need to be mobile or have reely long ranged weapons, they got viel of darkness, necrons are 4 experianced players becuase of ther limits in numbers, like teh other day i used 32 worriors 8 scarabs 2 lords and 3 destroyersallied with 2 small squads of gardians and 2 reapers, and i took out a entire 2000 piotn army of chaos with abadon.

chaos are eazily the best army so u cant brag about how good u are with them cuz u have no excuse to lose using one ,ther so ***** easy to use"ooh we have range 48 weapons in out basic squads"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is about necrons, not choas...goto the chaos forum if u want to brag.
    when i fielded my salamanders agaisnt him. whenver i got within 24 inches of him, my transports where destryoed. then he would unload his destryoers in to the guys. not onyl has he been undeafeated at my store, but also in every tourney he has been in.
    <insert witty remark here>

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast