Librarium Online Forums banner

Necrons--they Are Pain To Me

1K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Schwartzhell 
#1 ·
well im basically ticked off with them i have a tournament comeing up at my local club and i really want to good because some of the players are good there but there is one slight problem THER ARE NECRON PLAYERS-----and they have frikin monoliths i saw one of my freinds get pummeled by one he was IG but what brought a smile to my face was a space marine army smashing them to peices but i have tau as you would guess and would really like some info on how to kill them my enemy will have tomb spiders and normall troops and a monolith

thanks for help BLOBERT

#2 ·
Well don't worry too much about them coming at you in close assault. Necrons on the whole are slow and not very close combat orientated. Of course they have units that are geared towards hand-to-hand, but like you (Tau) they are better employed using there strength in numbers and guns.

You have Railguns so you should not need to worry too much about the Monolith, roll a 5 or 6 and you can penetrate it.

Necrons are annoying in their persistence, they just never seem to go away. Try to take out anything and everything that has We'll Be Back, and you'll be doing the best you can.

I would suggest concentrating as much firepower onto 1 Necron squad as you can and then move on to the next, then the next. They can only take so much!

wolfkin

#4 ·
Actually, he only has to roll a 4, 5, or 6 to pen the monolith (unless it has another newfound monolith rule) since the Railgun is an AP1 weapon, it will always pen. So, honestly, monoliths arent your problem.
What is the army's problem are going to be Destroyers for starters. They have good range, and will negate the saves on your firewarriors, very brutal. Secondly, the whole army is going to be fricking insane to kill with their good saves and the WBB rolls, I've never had much success fighting necrons. Also, don't be lulled into thinking that Necrons are a slow army. If anything, they can be played very very fast. All of their fast attacks can turbo-boost 24in, move 12, and assault 6. The rest of the main body can use Veil of Darkness from the Lord to deepstrike at whim all over the field, as well as teleport from a Monolith that can deepstrike as well.
That said, keep your hammerheads moving fast to avoid being scarab swarmed. Concentrate on taking the army out one unit at a time, especially if you can get a unit that doesnt have any similar unit types nearby, once all of a unit are dead and there are no others like them within 6in, they do not get the WBB roll, so its crucial to wipe them out.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Maus154@Jan 8 2005, 20:05
Actually, he only has to roll a 4, 5, or 6 to pen the monolith (unless it has another newfound monolith rule) since the Railgun is an AP1 weapon, it will always pen. So, honestly, monoliths arent your problem.
What is the army's problem are going to be Destroyers for starters. They have good range, and will negate the saves on your firewarriors, very brutal. Secondly, the whole army is going to be fricking insane to kill with their good saves and the WBB rolls, I've never had much success fighting necrons. Also, don't be lulled into thinking that Necrons are a slow army. If anything, they can be played very very fast. All of their fast attacks can turbo-boost 24in, move 12, and assault 6. The rest of the main body can use Veil of Darkness from the Lord to deepstrike at whim all over the field, as well as teleport from a Monolith that can deepstrike as well.
That said, keep your hammerheads moving fast to avoid being scarab swarmed. Concentrate on taking the army out one unit at a time, especially if you can get a unit that doesnt have any similar unit types nearby, once all of a unit are dead and there are no others like them within 6in, they do not get the WBB roll, so its crucial to wipe them out.
[snapback]297339[/snapback]​
I do believe the Monolith's special rule "Living Metal" makes it so that it doesn't matter if it is AP 1, though I'm not positive...

I agree, Hammerheads need to keep moving and need to have powerful guns. The plus of a Railgun is the insta-kills - use it vs. things like Destroyers. The Ion Cannon is good for negating saves, though it won't insta-kill them so they still might get back up.

Definitely concentrate your fire power, get rid of those units, as it will keep them from always standing back up. Only split your fire if you have to. Pathfinders with Rail Rifles could prove effective, if only for the possibility of killing a few models and pinning that unit.

#6 ·
Hmmm, I'm not really seeing anything in the FAQ on the AP1 against a monolith. The living metal only effects "extra dice and doubling" for penetration according to the FAQ. I think that the Railgun should still get an auto-pen whenever it rolls a 4 or higher. The only tau units effected by the living metal are fusion blasters and Farsight.
I wonder if TauMaster and I forgot to make pinning checks for the rail-rifles in our game, but in that one, the pathfinders were toast quickly. If a Necron player knows what the Pathfinders are, you can bet he's going to concentrate his destroyers on them first turn and they will die, no buts about that.
I can't emphasize enough the importance of finding a way to deal with the destroyers.

#7 ·
I don't want to admit it, but the pathfinder strategy doesn't work too well because any half-smart cron player will use their destroyers against them. It really sucks. You might be able to get away with living up to 3 turns, but the destroyers with their movement and gun range would be 36''(?) at least. A good way to counter that might to be to assult with kroot. The kroot should kill them with not too much of a problem. All the destroyers have to do is to miss their wbb roll once and their dead. If you were to use the path strategy, have them on one of the flanks (but especially not in the center) with the kroot very close in front of them.

#8 ·
The only models in the necron army with range greater than 24'' are destroyers and heavy destroyers so try to favour weapons like missile pods and plasma rifles over burst cannons and fusion blasters on your crisis suits (assuming you will use some). That way you should have at least a couple turns of free shooting to soften the necs up. Also some people said that necrons are not very good in close combat. I would just like to say that I have some (not many) necrons and thaey are quite good in close combat (especially compared to tau obviously). They have the same WS, S, T, and A as regular space marines so I (2) is really there only weak point except our fire warriors have the same I so it isn't really a problem for them. and if you ever get into cc with a nec lord (xxx stats removed by moderator) or wraiths (xxx stats removed by moderator xxx) I think it's quite safe to say: you are soooo dead.

#9 ·
Originally posted by crazyforcocoapuffs@Jan 9 2005, 15:18
The only models in the necron army with range greater than 24'' are destroyers and heavy destroyers...
[snapback]297878[/snapback]​
Even monoliths?!
Besides that point, you didn't factor in their movement. That'll lengthen their range substantially.

#10 ·
Originally posted by TAU Master@Jan 9 2005, 20:20
Even monoliths?!
Besides that point, you didn't factor in their movement. That'll lengthen their range substantially.

[snapback]298179[/snapback]​
Monoliths have two weapons. one (an ordnance) has 24'' range, and the other has 12'' range (although it fires d6 shots at every enemy unit in range which is good for the necs) and it can only move 6'' a turn (because of some special rule)
But like I said before, destroyers are a different story. They have 36'' range (both normal and heavy destroyers) and can move 12''.

#11 ·
most necron players put there troops like the roman soldiers palanx or something like that so use a markerlight to markerlight them then use a railgun submumition shot hit them and let them take there save and hope most of them DIE!!!

i got the best tatic for tau should i post it or not.. :hmm:

#12 ·
I would be happy to play a monolith, Railguns penetrating on a 4+ is great on something worth the expensive points it is. The main problem i find is the lack of instant death range weopons. The fact that (mathmaticaly) with average roling the same shots from fire warriors to kill 2 sm will only kill 1 necron, 18 pts instead of 30!! Crisis suits should gun for destroyers. Pulse rifles are good on the c'tan.

#13 ·
A good way to take on wraiths is kroot. I did the math and the kroot should kill, say a squad of 3 wraiths, 2 times over. They should also be good for taking on warriors that aren't around their lord. Look at page 6(?) in "Our Mechanized Forces" for a 1000pt army against super-mobile necrons. The kroot squads I made are cheap, and should beat warriors, wraiths, destroyers, anything, as long as they aren't ganged up on. The key is to take away their wbb save- so kill all of them and they won't come back. This is very good for small cron squads like wraiths and destroyers. With the kroot infiltrating, crons shouldn't be to hard to beat. Even if the kroot don't win, they must have tied up / killed something, otherwise it could have been shooting at you. You just have to catch them and not get shot at.

#14 ·
Well how is this game? What I would suggest, if it's 2000 pts, thaking 1 full unit of broadsides and 1 railhead and 1 ion cannon hammerhead. I believe that should have some killing power. 4 insta kills a turn. Although the broadsides are low on mobility.

I've never had a chance to play necrons so I could have no idea about what I am saying and if this would work. lol

#15 ·
A Necron player with some sense would never take a Monolith when there's a Hammerhead around. The Railgun is the biggest fear... :(
Oh, and the thing the living metal rule does, is that it makes weapons use their unaugmented strength + D6 only, for the penetration. So a Railgun would still penetrate on a 4.

Anywho, when I play Tau I always assault the FWs with my Scarabs. With the same CC stats (except with 2 more attacks, 2 more wounds, and a worse Save), Scarabs are such assassins.
FWs should also absolutely watch out for Destroyers as they shoot them to smithereens (atoms, to be exact) with their bigg gunz.

I personally would never equip Scarabs with Disruption Fields (glance on 6's), since even a full squad of 10 would have a hard time destroying a skimmer (the chances are 1/6 on the charge); I leave the skimmer-hunting to Heavy Destroyers. Scarabs are best used against FWs, and for tying up your lovely HQs.

Kroots aren't always good against Wraiths, since they need to be in quite big units to kill them. 3 Wraiths would kill 5 out of 10 Carnivores on the charge, saving most wounds with the Inv. Save and the WBB, and leaving the Kroots no option but to take a Morale check with their crappy Leadership. Failing that; the Initiative roll isn't too hard beat with 6 vs. 3...
Kroots should imho be used against normal Warriors (Infiltrating ones vs. Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers, and Scarabs).

Negating WBBs isn't the easiest thing for Tau, since there are only three weapons that can do this: Railgun (solid shot), Fusion blaster, and the Seeker Missiles (and maybe some power weapon I have overlooked when gazing through the codex). But you should try to fire these weapons on the important units (Lord with Resurrection Orb, Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers). And, if your opponent should bring Tomb Spyders, you'll have an even harder time negating WBBs. Try taking out these before they've created a wall of Scarabs to shield themselves with.

The skimmers should watch out for Heavy Destroyers, and big hordes of Warriors. Heavy Destroyers have nice strength on their guns, and with Gauss technology the Warriors'll glance anything in no-time.

If 3 Wraiths should be teamed up with a Destroyer Lord with a Warscythe, hide your HQ. With high strength on the Wraiths, and the no-Save-whatsoever-weapon on the Lord, they'll drop like flies.

Something that will also drop as flies are the cure Kor'vesa vs. Destroyers. Don't let them get anyway near.

I'd also advice against using Ethereals; the fast Fast Attack choices we have will take out such a blueskin in a matter of... turns.

Oh, Immortals are also something nice to play vs. Tau. Same AP as Destroyers, but a little weaker. I don't really know all things they can do since I don't field them myself, but they can do alot of damage if you don't look out.

Well, those are my (boring?) thoughts. :D

#16 ·
yeah, immortals are 3's and 2's no saves against firewarriors, but have a 24" range (assault 2). This means that *if* your firewarriors can shoot, then the immortals can walk 6 and shoot 24" the next round, watch out, a full 12 man firewarrior squad will be lucky to down 1 immortal a turn (statistically less than 1, more like .5), then the immortals will shoot (I'll use qty 5, which is equal points) 8 shots (giving you the 1 casualty) and kill 4.43 firewarriors statistically, then you have to take a morale check (don't flee off the board).

Destroyers on the otherhand can shoot firewarriors with impunity because they have 36" range. (6 destroyers is what I field if I can). 6 destroyers can shoot 18 shots, statistically killing 9.92 firewarriors each round, with impunity.

I've learned from my 1st game not to assault the kroot, I just get close and open fire, good chance that they will fail their morale, and flee off the board.

Justin

#17 ·
The only way a Monolith can do much damage is if they Deep Strike into the middle of your army, then teleport in a lot of warriors. I saw this happen to an Imperial Guard player, and the game was over in a handful of turns...it was quite humorous to watch. All the humans dying :)

#19 ·
Originally posted by Schwartzhell@Jan 12 2005, 17:04
The only way a Monolith can do much damage is if they Deep Strike into the middle of your army, then teleport in a lot of warriors. I saw this happen to an Imperial Guard player, and the game was over in a handful of turns...it was quite humorous to watch. All the humans dying :)
[snapback]300930[/snapback]​
youre right monoliths are a lot better when they deep strike, partly because they can only move 6'' a turn. so if they have to deploy it normally by the time it gets within 24'' (its max range) you will have been able to shoot at it a bit.

#20 ·
Or, if you do play static against a monolith, you spread out, that way, even if it does land, you won't have all your models close to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.