Lictor Deployment Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bumped into an issue today after I revealed my Lictors. Basically I hid them in 2 different forest terrain peices. When I decided to reveal them I had them show up in the actual forest. My opponent says I have to be more specific to where they actually are in the forest. In other words what edge are they closest to. So for instance, if he had orcs on the east side if the forest terrain peice and I had a hidden lictor in that peice I couldn't simply have him show up at the eastern edge of the forest. The lictor deployment rules dont really specify this, it just says to pick an area of cover. So next time should I draw a mpa where the lictor us hidden and draw an X to where he is exactly on that terrain peice? I guess this makes sense because if I chose a huge building as hiding place it seems kind of unfair that I could just reveal him anywhere in the building. But then again he is an 80 point model.

Does this seem right to anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Well, the Codex does state to write down exactly where they are... But how exact is exact enough? Personally, I play that knowing the terrain piece is enough...

This is further corroborated by taking a look at how the Catachan Codex Ambush rules are worded (to which there's also a reference in the Lictor Secret Deployment). In those rules You divide the board into sections on paper, and then just mark which section the Ambushing unit is in, nothing more exact than that.

Of course, the Ambush rules are intended for Junglefight, in where the entire area is pretty much covered in terrain and thus marking the location with further details would be rather pointless.

Essentially, it's up to You and Your gaming group. I would vouch for the "terrain piece", but I am a Tyranid and it is a 80-pt model that is rather easy to kill in the end...
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, Tyranids rules have to be the most deabted codex for crying out loud! Now I 'm facing opponents who want exact locations of here in the terrrain the lictors actually are! Grrrrr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just sketch the board and then draw a 'close up' of the piece they are hidden in. It takes about 30 seconds, and prevents any arguments when they pop out and kill something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me, seeing what a Lictor essentially is, and what its supposed to do, that you should just pick the piece of terrain its in. Of course not a huge piece that encompasses half the board but a regualar clump of trees or whatever. The nature of the Lictor would be to sneak and stay hidden and travel through that bit of terrain looking for its chance to strike. To me, fluffily speaking, its not like a spider just sitting waiting for something to walk right up to it. It's more of hunter aggressor, it hides, sneaks, and then Strikes!
    I favor the side of the Lictor when playing a game, 'X' doesn't necessarily mark the spot of where they are, just the piece of terrain they are lurking in. I really hope to see that cleared up in the new codex, for a nid who's sole purpose is to sneak and ambush, having it sit in one spot while food is mere inches away seems a waste of points.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy and taste good with everything!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always just asked my oppnent to turn around while I got an exact measurement of where I wanted the Lictor(s) and wrote them down.
    The hive has a place for all, the biomass is all. Ware to those who fail to see the power that is the hive fleet. Take solace for those who fall to the hive are not lost, just changed for the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrain goes down. I pick up a tablet and write down where they both are. It'll look like this:

#1 = Left trees, top right corner.

#2 = Right rocks, bottom left corner.

There is no way in hell you can write EXACTLY where they are, but in most games where you can be no closer than 15" because of their deployment I will clarify by saying "against the 15" line" in my description. Its good form to say where they are in that cover though for purposes for revealing them by search or by auspex/psycher. You could also use the air force method and state that he's "in left trees, 5 o'clock position". Its really more of a way to keep you from cheating and saying that they are actually on the other side of the board.

Honestly I run into VERY few people who know how Lictors work exactly and often get looks of disbelief when they go down on the table. I just ask as they come out of hiding "Lictors come out. Do you know how they work?". If its a no, then I ask if they want to know. If they know in the first place, game on.

I haven't run into anyone who has ever asked to look at what I wrote. It would be rare for a random player to ask.

Drawing a map is a good solution but also a very obvious thing to do. If no one is looking at army lists and he doesn't know lictors are there, there is no way in hell I'm going to let him know by sketching a map for a few minutes. I'll talk to him and keep him distacted while I casually measure his deployment, writing and talking all the while. Lictors work 10x better if the opponent is unaware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always thought the best way was to stick something under the terrain it pops out of. That way its easy to prove you didnt suddenly move it.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

You can also tell an impartial third party (judge, someone hanging out) where you deployed the Lictors. No Map, no fuss.

I usually draw maps, but in games where I don't even use my Lictors, I draw a very detailed map and seemingly take forever to decide where I want to "hide" my Lictor. Then when my opponent moves a unit somewhere I don't want it, I make like I have a lousy poker face, trying to mask my excitement when he moves to where I have my supposed hidden Lictor. Not a tactic I would suggest often, as too much use would ruin it, but a fun one none the less.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked to the people heading the tournie and we agreed it's best that when I chose the terrain peice where I am hiding the Lictor that I be a bit more specific as to where he is in that peice. This is usually not a problem where I am hiding them in a small forest base, but imagine if I where top place him in a 12x24 building!! I would say that I should state something like eastern side in the north corner.

I think that is fair.

+ Reply to Thread