Hd's Vs Tombspiders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all...
    I want to start on my Heavy Support for my Necrons soon. I know I want a Monolith dispite the risk taking one. But that leaves 2 more HS slots to fill up. (I try to make one complete FoC, around 3k)
    Seeing the posts about HD's being so good is making me reconsider only taking one HD squad of 3. My orginal plan for HS is 1)Monolith 2)Tombspider squad of 2 3)Heavy Destroyer squad of 3.
    So, in your opinion... would you use 2 HD squads and drop the spider?
    As far as the usual armies I face. Chaos Space Marines is the MAIN opponet. (Sometimes I face DarkAngels, Spacewolves.... rarely a Dark Eldar). But CSM is the opponet I'll need to beat.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

well it depends on what you want

HD's are the necron termie/MC killers for ranged shooting
    the TS is the big nasty mc which if it gets into combat could tie up a unit for turns at an end (not to mention extending your wwb range)

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you should rprobably get those 2 tomb spyders. They are great for making sure you don&#39;t lose a WBB roll when your oponent wipes out an entire warrior squad. Aside from that, they do seem a bit useless as you rarely have more than one unit of similar models besides warriors. However, it is also great for a counter attack. It is very large and hard to kill, and if it is a bit slow and innacurate, every wack that hits smashes the oponent to bits.
    Necron will stand for eternity.Their race has survived aeons by trading their very souls for metal bodies. Now, they will live on through eternity and will vanquish all life from our universe.For they are Necron. Flesh is weak. The machine will rise&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tomb spyders are fun, and I almost always field them. *but* I *always* field Heavy destroyers. Basically, HD&#39;s take care of gamebreaking units. necrons have a hard time with 2+ saves, and MC&#39;s. Tomb spyders are cool (maybe I&#39;m just wasting points in them, but I like em), but HD&#39;s are a must-have in any *balanced* army list.

JMHO of course.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by justinb67@Jan 16 2005, 00:39
    tomb spyders are fun, and I almost always field them. *but* I *always* field Heavy destroyers. Basically, HD&#39;s take care of gamebreaking units. necrons have a hard time with 2+ saves, and MC&#39;s. Tomb spyders are cool (maybe I&#39;m just wasting points in them, but I like em), but HD&#39;s are a must-have in any *balanced* army list.

JMHO of course.

Justin
    [snapback]304140[/snapback]
    Agree completely. However, I wouldn&#39;t bother HD&#39;s against Dark Eldar, Tau and Orcs. In my experience (perhaps I haven&#39;t played against the right units yet?) they don&#39;t really have 2+ saves, and you can slaughter them with regular Destroyers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the spyders as everything in the army can glance a tank on a 6
    i find basic troops or a unit of normal destroyers is best against vehicles as
    the h destoryers only get 1 chance each a unit of normal destroyers get a toatal of 12 shots or 10 warriors can have upto 20 shots to try and take it out.

As far as necrons go the spyder is quite a good cc unit [despite what some ppl may say] dont be put of by WS2 this only means u need a 4+ to hit against most things you can be hit easily but at T6 W3 sv3+ not really a concern and no instant kills. plus a spyder counts as a monsterous creature, can create scarab swams and allow wwb rolls if a whole unit of &#39;crons gets dead. all this for less points than a h destroyer and if u have a unit of 2/3 they can act as independant characters.

so that leaves termies unless you are fighting some one with a massive unit of terminators you dont really need to worry a good unit [4] desroyers should be able to take out at least 1 per turn.

my HS is
    1)Monolith
    2)Tombspider squad of 3
    3)Heavy Destroyer squad of 3.
    It&#39;s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. -- Muhammad Ali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by couch_goblin@Jan 17 2005, 09:53
    Get the spyders as everything in the army can glance a tank on a 6
    i find basic troops or a unit of normal destroyers is best against vehicles as
    the h destoryers only get 1 chance each a unit of normal destroyers get a toatal of 12 shots or 10 warriors can have upto 20 shots to try and take it out.
    [snapback]305093[/snapback]
    As it has been said before, the most important reason to use Heavy Destroyers is the ability to penetrate every armor save in the game. The most ideal situation is against an army which deploys units with 2+ saves as well as some vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try bringing one heavy and one tomb spyder. I have found this to be really good since they can easily make back their points. Plus it is really easy to keep a single model alive hiding it with terrain and even if a unit can shoot at it a lot of the time they don&#39;t since they don&#39;t want to waste a bunch of shots just to kill one model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by havok735@Jan 17 2005, 18:55
    Try bringing one heavy and one tomb spyder. I have found this to be really good since they can easily make back their points. Plus it is really easy to keep a single model alive hiding it with terrain and even if a unit can shoot at it a lot of the time they don&#39;t since they don&#39;t want to waste a bunch of shots just to kill one model.
    [snapback]305233[/snapback]

death of the heavy is never really the low point as they are not really that pricy.
    1 h destroyer on its own I often find is very inaccurate. even @ 3+ to hit i find u usually get at least couple of wasted turns. if you really need h destroyers have 2 or 3 at least. but thats just me
    It&#39;s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. -- Muhammad Ali

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Bablar@Jan 17 2005, 16:22
    As it has been said before, the most important reason to use Heavy Destroyers is the ability to penetrate every armor save in the game. The most ideal situation is against an army which deploys units with 2+ saves as well as some vehicles.
    [snapback]305111[/snapback]
    absolutly thats y I have 3 in my list. but if u are short of points i would always go for the spyders

+ Reply to Thread