How Many Gaunts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there...
    Just wondering, on average, how many gaunts do you use in your armies? What kinds? I know Hormagaunts are a staple while Spinguants are the cheapest.
    In a 1,000
    In a 2,000
    In a 3.000
    I don't currently use Spinguants, prefering to stick to Hormagaunts/Scythgaunt. My usual opponet is CSMs and I don't find either very leathal. Then again, are they suppose to be?
    Currently, I've seen a trend to just ignore my gaunts and fire on the big ones. I've considered tring to mix it up and see if I couldn't make a gaunt leathal enough to take down a few CSMs (maybe by adding bio-plasma?). But this makes them around 15points per and really kills a swarm. But if they could kill off enough to make them a threat again, it would really throw my oppent for a loop.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use Spinegaunts (or Spinegants as i effectionally know them) as everyone does. as cheap units that have a fair bit of potential.
    Personally i like Shreadagaunts (Leaping, Toxin sacs, Talons) as an anti-marine unit, as they need 4s to hit and wound, in large numbers.
    I'm developing a unit of gaunts that have no name yet, they're leaping, with a devourer, toxin sacs, and extended carapiece. This makes them expensive, so i only want to use them in larger armies, but they can unleash a volley of alot of shots, and leaping into combat, immediatly after. So the enemy is showed with attacks. Useful against guard or orks. :shifty:
    All the non-leapers are usually spinegants...
    I wish they did leapers and runners in seperae box sets, coz for those of us who want lots of leapers, we gotta have an equil amount of termagants in our Hive, which suck...
    i use leapers mostly coz my army is getting less and less shooty all the time.
    9 Raveners with only Talons and a few with Renders, a pure taloned carnie, and winged warriors with talons. :lol:
    So i prefer fast CC gaunts, as the ranged weapons are too short in range to use properly, as most get shot down before they can even see the enemy... :realmad:
    Tolerance is Ignorance

<a href='http://www.freewebs.com/knoblarmaster/' target='_blank'>Knoblars rule</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently have 80 gaunts in my 1500 pt. list. However, to make room for another carni and to buy adr WS for my leapers, I expect to be down around 40-50.
    ________________W/L/T
    Hive Fleet Furi Kuri 32/21/4
    Tomb Kings: 8/5/2

Im in ur Halo, killin ur covernantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

my friend uses 24 of them in a 2k game, no upgrades at all. their gaunts, they are set at a low cost so that they can be treated as decoys, but still maintain deadly abilities in cc. use genestealers and the right mix of units with the gaunts and you wont need o much of any one thing...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

In 1000-1500pts, I try to take at least 40 Gaunts, preference on Leaping ones.

With my tactics, they&#39;re supposed to engage the enemy in CC to block LOS to the majority of my swarm and thus increase overall survivability of the more lethal creatures. If the Gaunts can actually inflict a few casualties, that&#39;s a bonus. (Y)

Of course, against something like IG and Tau the Gaunts can act as effective killers once they close the distance and have sufficient numbers remaining.

Uzi&#39;s Leapers:

Leap
    AdrG WS
    AdrG I

ScyTal

11pts

The way I build my Gaunts reflects my tactics and what I wish them to do:

Leaping for speed and enhanced engagement range.

AG WS to decrease amount of hits made by WS4 opponents, or increase amount of hits against WS3 opponents.

AG I to strike before most opponents, and simultaneously with Eldar & DE. Also increases probability to succesfully perform a Sweeping Advance.

ScyTal for enhanced CC effectiveness.

ToxSacs are nice, but rather expensive... And as said, my Gaunts aren&#39;t really supposed to kill as much as to just tie the enemy down. If they do kill lots of enemy, it will be due to Sweeping Advance. (Y)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hormagaunts are lethal against CSM. They&#39;re fast, they have leaping, and a full brood of them will get 96 attacks on a charge. Of course, when you crunch all the numbers, you get left with 8 wounding attacks, but that will take out most of a 10-man squad. When you figure in morale, you&#39;ve efectively dealt with the squad and can move to another one. However, you will take an average of 7-9 casualties on a charge (figureing that they are armed w/ bolters), so hey might actually win the cc, even though you killed a larger percentage of their troops. Am I a geek or what?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> They will shoot you and cut you up and step on the pieces and burn them and assemble the ashes and shoot them again and grind them into sand and scatter the sand into the sea and boil the sea away and gather the hardened remains and melt them into a rock and shoot the rock and burn what&#39;s left and launch the remains into the sun and...
    </div>
    **or**
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The most powerful gun in the galaxy won&#39;t help if your opponent if bashing your brains out with a rock</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at the minute i&#39;m using 64 (basically two battleforces worth) in 1500 points.
    half as you&#39;d expect are your bog standard spinegaunts. the leapers have leaping, scy tal, Adr (I) and i&#39;m debating whether to give them toxin sacs- &#39;cause after all 90% of my opponents are marines.
    i&#39;d say go for somewhere around 40+ in 1500 points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually did a kinda non-niddy thing some week ago
    where i putted in these gaunts :

Gaunt
    enhanced senses ,toxin sacs and a spinefist against
    chaos, which worked kinda good considering they hit on a 3+ and wound
    on a 3+, and then they can charge, &#33;, sure, not so good in cc, but hey
    those shoots aught to do something

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by Dias@Jan 20 2005, 20:29
    wound on a 3+
    --- ToxSacs and SFists don&#39;t quite wound Chaos Marines that easily...
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gaunt str 3 + toxic + spinefist = 5 str?
    and marines have 4 T , ( xept for deathguard)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast