I'm A Newbie Witha Newbie Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well I'm a newbie with a newbie army who hasn't really gotten a chance to play the game. I've hade no experience in the table top games and I think I've been ripped off (DAMN YOU GW&#33 I already painted my whole army and my gaunts are pretty point heavy.... Like really point heavy so I think I wanna change it, but dont really wanna take off all the stuff on my hormies....

14 Hormagaunts with adrenal glands (Ws I) Extended carapace, toxin sacs- 196 pts
    16 termagants with enhanced senses-144 pts
    1 hive tyrant- Warp blast, scything talons, lash whips, and the rest of the biomorphs (adrenal glands, toxin sacs, the works)- 176(I think)

I think I'm gonna redo it, and I'm primarily going against Necron, space marines, and chaos space marines.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok just keep the termagaunts as they are (or better yet give them spne fist makes them even cheaper) as they are cannon fodder,
    you hormagaunts either lose the extra iniative or the carapace to bring their points down.Your tyrant is ok, my gfs tyrant has four scything talons and wings, its horrendous.
    it should lower the points of what you have significantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

Well, you can definetly lose the Ex Carapace on the Gaunts. 5+ won't save you from much except HtH, and your number of attacks will do a better job of increasing your survivability in HtH (less attacks back mean less potential wounds).

As fas as physically changing the gaunts, don't worry about it. If you've glued on the Ext Carapace and Adrenal glands, just leave them on. It'll make the model look more dynamic, and 9 times out of 10 opponents don't know what the glands and sacs do anyway, so they probably won't even notice them.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you should lower your termagaunts pouints. use some spinefists. it will make a 5 pts model. this would balance the points with your hormagaunts. if you want a walking tyrant take that whip of and get im a venom canon. otherwise make a mutable get im some biomorphs like toxin sacs enhaced senses... give im 2 pairs of scything talons and put some wings on him. if you have enough points get warp blast and psychic scream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Welcome to the Swarm! (Y)

Originally posted by abigsheep@Jan 27 2005, 160
    I already painted my whole army and my gaunts are pretty point heavy....
    --- Big mistake... Never assemble Tyranids without checking with others first, especially due to the multitude of ways You can botch Mutable Tyranids.

CC Gaunts(?): Note, these are not Hormagaunts, but Mutable Genus Gaunts... Thus come up with a name of Your own to avoid confusing people.

Leaping? Bioweapons?

As has been said, the ExtCar is pointless, since Your Gaunts still die as easily at range against most opponents. If You've already modeled it, no prob, just don't pay the points and don't use it.

AdrG WS and I are IMO useful, and I take them on my Gaunts to increase survivability and lethality.

ToxSac I don't bother with, IMO they make Gaunts too expensive... And for my tactics, Gaunt-inflicted casualties are just a bonus, their main reason for existing is a CC screen.

Shooty Gaunts: Again, these are Mutable Genus, not Codex Termagaunts.

Gaunt shooting sucks, thus most go with the cheapest sucker... Which ATM is the Spinefist (Gaunt + SFist).

The crud range means that Termas aren't that good due to potential targets being already in CC, and most often You'll just want to Fleet instead of shooting simply to engage the enemy in CC to stop them from blasting the rest of Your army to bits.

Hive Tyrant: For a walking Tyrant, I wouldn't take LshWhps... Guards will have the same effect and increase survivability otherwise as well.

Instead, if walking, I'd suggest a VCannon for a ranged attack with decent range... Combined with the WBlast, You have the possibilty to take out most stuff in the game relatively easily.

Right now isn't that good a time to start Tyranids, unless You don't mind the upcoming 4thEd Codex potentially changing the effectiveness of most of Your stuff.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your tyrant, you should have either VC and ScyTal OR wing and 2x ScyTal. Spinegaunts are ultimately the best gaunt because:
    a) They're cheap cannon fodder
    b) They can peirce armor
    and
    c) They can cover your other small creatures (LOS not priority test)
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> They will shoot you and cut you up and step on the pieces and burn them and assemble the ashes and shoot them again and grind them into sand and scatter the sand into the sea and boil the sea away and gather the hardened remains and melt them into a rock and shoot the rock and burn what&#39;s left and launch the remains into the sun and...
    </div>
    **or**
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The most powerful gun in the galaxy won&#39;t help if your opponent if bashing your brains out with a rock</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, thankfully, I haven&#39;t put my Hive Tyrant together. I&#39;m still considering what to do. but I&#39;m still worried about my gaunts. I guess I can take off the enhanced senses, but I aint bothering with taking the toxin sacs or extended carapace. So I guess I&#39;m gonna have to revamp my Tyrant.

Tyrant
    with all the biomorph upgrades, VC, Scything talons, Warpblast- 179

But now I only have 431 points I think. What should I do with the rest of those points?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by abigsheep@Jan 28 2005, 00:59
    toxin sacs or extended carapace.
    --- ToxSacs are ok, just as long as You have AdrG I to boost effectiveness.

As for the ExtCar, as said, just don&#39;t pay the points and don&#39;t use the upgraded save... You don&#39;t need to remove the plates themselves.

Tyrant
    with all the biomorph upgrades, VC, Scything talons, Warpblast- 179
    --- Looks like 181pts to me.

But now I only have 431 points I think. What should I do with the rest of those points?
    --- 500pts? 1000pts? 1500pts?

For a 500pt list, I&#39;d suggest following Combat Patrol/40Kin40min restrictions (assuming Your opponent will as well), which will make the Tyrant illegal. The restrictions are simply to make a smaller game balanced, but if You don&#39;t have the models to field anything else, then stick with normal rules (and thus keep the Tyrant).

For 1000pts, I&#39;d include a second brood of Leaping Gaunts and probably a Carnifex, possibly a smallish brood of &#39;Stealers or Warriors as well.

For 1500pts, round out with pretty much what You like, as long as the biomorph build is sensible. =)
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

+ Reply to Thread