Librarium Online Forums banner

Barbed Stranglers

1K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  HiveChimera 
#1 ·
Well im using a carnifex and i decided to try with a barbed strangler on it. Well i shot a seer council with the two farseers in it and the guy failed all his saves, which ment the whole squad was killed becuase of the double toughness, but that was the only time i have used it so far, so i wanted to know what you all think.

#3 ·
well in battles ive desrtoyed tons of sm with the duel barbed stranglers. It comes down to luck. your chance on hitting with both weapons is still 4+(or 5+ if mutated crapy) both ways its ok i guess,(except 5+). I fight alot of demonhunter's, sm's, tau. so ap4 and a ap- doesnt matter to me just the barb is cheaper and wounds alot. so what ever...

good hunting.. (Y)

#4 ·
Sorry for sounding rude, theredkitty, but You are aware this forum has a Search function? I've beaten this horse to death more times than I can remember... ^_^

Here's a couple of interesting threads on the subject...

Carnifex Combinations, entire post.

SW Vs Tyranids, 2nd page, last post by me.

If they work for You, good. With my tactics, I wouldn't use BStranglers... I find the Carnifex much better with long-range anti-vehicle capability afforded by the VCannon. (Y)

#6 ·
Originally posted by theredkitty@Feb 2 2005, 22:28
yea well, i guess i could have used it....  But now you all get to post more!
and spam up the forums more, and you also get to anoy people. congratulations.

#7 ·
I agree with what has been said, it depends on circumstances. If your playing armies who only get 5+ saves, its great. However against marines I have been frustrated many times when they make six or seven saves. Having said that my local warhammer guru stroe manager loves them. Have fun playtesting all the options:)

Llews

#8 ·
For those too lazy to use the search button (or Uzi's handy dandy links), here is a quick down and dirty on the Stranger-Fex, the VC-Fex, and BioVores. To figure Double weapon Fexes, just double my hit/miss numbers (% will be the same)

Hitting:
The BS Fex will miss 50% of his shots. 1 Shot a turn = 1 hit every other turn

The VC Fex will miss 50% of his shots. 2 Shots a turn = 1 hit every turn

The Biovore will never "miss" his shots, he just might not hit immediatly. Missed spores remain a threat and move randomly until destroyed or detonated.

Wounding:
The BS Fex will wound most enemies on a 2+, they get to make their saves. It will glance weak armor fairly easily, tough armor you'll need 5s or 6s (1 shot a turn, you do the math)

The VC Fex will wound, at worst, on a 3+ (if anyone knows of a critter with a 10 T, let me know). SM and better will get their armor save, Tau and worse will just get splicked. It will glance weak armor on 2+, and tougher armor can be glanced 50% of the time.

The Biovore, using poison, will wound everything 50% of the time, regardless of who you are shooting. SM and better get a save, Tau and worse choke to death.
using BioAcid, the Vore has a chance to pen even the toughest of armor, but it being so random (where it lands, where is shoots, what its strength is), its not very reliable.

Cost:
The Biovore with mines is the most expensive, the VC is next, and the BS is last. The BS is the most cost effective of the three, but you get what you pay for.

In summation, use the VC against vehicles and the Vore with Poison against troops.

#10 ·
i really dont use those biovores that much now, (unlucky), so im using those zoanthropes (2+ yes). in conclsuion im to lazy to change my fex....

good hunting

#11 ·
I'm thinking of making a quad Barbed Strangler Fex. He'd be a close combat Fex though, for realizing the futility of shooting a Strangler, he'd just weild them like clubs in melee. Shave off the "shooting" arms and use Biovore arms to clutch the Strangler by the cannon, and he should be good to go. I'll call him the Strangling Dervish.

#12 ·
Originally posted by Gojiratoho@Feb 3 2005, 05:40

Cost:
The Biovore with mines is the most expensive, the VC is next, and the BS is last. The BS is the most cost effective of the three, but you get what you pay for.

In summation, use the VC against vehicles and the Vore with Poison against troops.
[snapback]319866[/snapback]​
Not so if the other person rolls well... dual BS will give you one shot per turn on a Carni... bit pie plate, covers 4-5 people, 2-4 others will have to dodge (unless you do the MAX 2" between everyone and string out in a line, which isn't always possible on a smaller board). If the dodges hit, you'll get 6-9 hits, wounding on 2+ for most troops...

happened to me two turns in a row... he fired 2 shots per turn, 3 of those shots hit, each one resulted in 6-8 *hits* and pretty much all wounding, and me failing 1/2 of the saves... Lost like, 8-10 Necron warriors in 2 turns, just from BS alone...

So yeah, if you can roll over 4+ very well, and if your opponent can't roll saves to save his life, then the BS will work VERY well...

#13 ·
Well sure, add in the luck factor and every gun in the game turns into something Scaramanga would be proud to shoot people with, but looking at the cold, hard statistics, the BS is on the low end of the Tyranid ranged totem pole.

#15 ·
I guess it's just against the Necrons, both VC and poison spore mines aren't the most useful because we still get saves and don't have any vehicles except for the Monolith...
You dont get WBB! The BS against heavy destroyers is stupendously inaccurate, wont be hitting more than one model usually, and still lets them stand back up. I have fried many destroyers with the VC.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Baratos@Feb 3 2005, 15:17
You dont get WBB! The BS against heavy destroyers is stupendously inaccurate, wont be hitting more than one model usually, and still lets them stand back up. I have fried many destroyers with the VC.
[snapback]320237[/snapback]​
Oops, my bad, I meant with a Res Orb... where my warriors usually are =)

#17 ·
BS on a Carnifex who happens to have upgraded ballistic skill, will hit half the time. One shot, statistically, will hit. OK so we're hitting Necron warriors. If you spaced out like a smart guy, I will be covering 1-3 for sure and what like 3-5 partials. Once thats out of the way, roll 2+ to wound. You get an armor save, a marine armor save. If you fail that you drop, and you get back up on your incredibly forgiving res orb/tomb spider-super-duper-I'm-not-dead-yet-save. Monolith going down first turn because my Dual VC Carnifex said so is a huge blow to Necrons. Every Tyranid player should have one in their list.

Against something like orc or ig, yeah it can be alright. You'll be doing everything the same accept you're counting on them having a bad armor save. Against armies with bad armor, there are tanks to kill, hence dual VC's. Leave the anti troop to the poison mines. AP4 vs Ap-, your call.

Just don't use it guys. I want to love it but it just doesn't work. Seems to be a common theme. (genestealers, lictors, raveners, cc carnifex, zoanthrope)

#18 ·
Originally posted by Pyre@Feb 4 2005, 17:01
If you fail that you drop, and you get back up on your incredibly forgiving res orb/tomb spider-super-duper-I'm-not-dead-yet-save.
--- Only the ResOrb, I'm afraid... ;)

Tomb Spiders only remove the requirement of having the same sort of friendly model within close range, and Monolith Teleportation only allows "additional" WBB if the unit was eligible for WBB in the first place (just failed their rolls). InstaKilled&CC Armour-negated casualties outside of ResOrb range aren't eligible for WBB, thus TSpyders and Monolith 'Porting has no effect.

Thus to WBB against InstaDeath&CC Armour-negating attacks, the Necron must have a ResOrb.

Still, I find it rare to find Necron units of any worth outside of ResOrb range... Luckily Sweeping Advance wipes them out nicely, without needing to bother with WBB rolls. 8)

#19 ·
Originally posted by Pyre@Feb 4 2005, 11:01
Just don't use it guys. I want to love it but it just doesn't work. Seems to be a common theme. (genestealers, lictors, raveners, cc carnifex, zoanthrope)
[snapback]320625[/snapback]​

I'll have you know I've used ALL the things you've mentioned there, and to good effect! It's more a circumstantial matter.

If you're against fast things, be fast (raveners).

If against armored things, crack them open (VC, Zoanthrope, Rending Claws).

If against many, throw pie plates (BS, DS, Warp Blast)!

It's all a matter of the right tool for the job. ^_^

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.