Librarium Online Forums banner

Pros And Cons Of Tau

5K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  smoking (plasma) gun 
#1 ·
K I am thinking of starting a Tau army and I would like some information about them and see if It's worth it. All posts are greatly appreciated :D .

#4 ·
It is an army that requires tactical finese, due to our high degree of mobility, along with high fire power.

It require super memorization of a thousand different units and wargear though, as out codex is fairly simple, too simple if you as some people.

We have the best gun in the game. Possibly the tank in the game (depends on how you're measuring, it's us or the Falcons).

Fire Warriors are simple and effective.

If you're good with jumping your suits back and forth (using the 6" assault move), you can totally make your opponent cry. (getting eaten up by AP2 weaponry and then never getting a shot back really sucks :D )

Oh, and everything kills you in cc. That's okay, it's actually very liberateting. Some dude will be telling you how tooled up his chaplain is, and how it'll totally kill you in cc, and you won't care, it woulda killed you anyway. And, you have simple solution, don't let them get you in cc, which is very doable.

#5 ·
pros: best fire power in the game, good armour, good mobility, decent leadership, and totally awesome looking.

cons: high points cost for tanks and elites, absolutely horrible at hand to hand.

if you have an ounce of skill you can easily compensate for the lack of cc finesse, by utilizing the pros i listed.

#6 ·
Originally posted by TITAN@Feb 3 2005, 21:40
K I am thinking of starting a Tau army and I would like some information about them and see if It's worth it. All posts are greatly appreciated :D .
[snapback]320379[/snapback]​
Alright, well, I'll do my best to help you out here. Kay? Let's see.

Pros:

1) Highest power, longest range basic troop gun in the game.

2) Great versatility in several cases.

3) Strongest weapon in the game (Railgun).

4) Pretty strong vehicles.

5) Decent armour saves.

6) Jetpacks and our "pop in, shoot, pop back out" tactic.

Cons:

1) They are all but doomed once in CC.

2) High points cost for a single model (Crisis suits can be around 65-80 points each).

3) More strategy is required than, say, a Space Marine army.

4) Very, very, very small armoury.

#8 ·
Originally posted by crazyforcocoapuffs@Feb 4 2005, 12:22
we may have a small armoury but with our crisis suits we have a lot of different weapon combos available
[snapback]320793[/snapback]​
And with every other army's troops, they have a lot of different weapon combos available, too.

We can't take heavy weapons in normal squads.

We can't take special weapons in normal squads (I don't consider the Carbine a special weapon).

Almost every other army CAN, however. The Crisis Suits by no means make up for that.

Plus, those armies also have at least three times as much wargear as Tau.

Not complaining, just proving the point. ^_^

#9 ·
ok, heres a little stratagy of mine, that makes for an arguably all round army.

it involves lots of firepower (easy enough considering) through fire woriors (lots of them) various battle suits and 1 or 2 hammerheads along with one hell of a angry pack of kroot.

its simple realy. just casualy sit back and shoot then just as your opponent inevitably gets close enough to assult you move fire worriors back and form a big line of prtective Kroot trust me 20 of these guys with a shaper isn't going to die that easy.

this works best against assulting armies such as nids and orks.

i also have a question, can aun'shi join a kroot squad?

#10 ·
Originally posted by white scar@Feb 4 2005, 12:36

it involves lots of firepower (easy enough considering) through fire woriors (lots of them) various battle suits and 1 or 2 hammerheads along with one hell of a angry pack of kroot.

its simple realy. just casualy sit back and shoot then just as your opponent inevitably gets close enough to assult you move fire worriors back and form a big line of prtective Kroot trust me 20 of these guys with a shaper isn't going to die that easy.

[snapback]320811[/snapback]​
Okay, let's see here.

One, 20 Kroot with a Shaper will die, very easily, actually. Unless THEY get the assault.

If I were the enemy, I wouldn't assault the Kroot - oh no, I'd use my little rapid firing guns and shoot them all to death. Which wouldn't be so hard. Then, of course, if it's 'Nids or Orks - if they get the assault, generally they will kill the majority of the Kroot because they'll have almost the same numbers, more attacks, and Kroot have a horrible save. Kroto must get the assault, otherwise they will be taking heavy casualties.

And as for Aun'shi joining Kroot, yes, he may. However, I am not certain if this will make them "Fearless" like it would a Tau unit. I don't see where it says he cannot join Kroot.

#11 ·
ok, but i think you missed the point of the kroot. their not their to win it for you just buy your big guns more time to retreat and shoot some more.

and from my experiances 20 kroot can generaly survive 2 posibly 3 turns befour thet die.

(sorry for spelling im slightly dislecsic)

#12 ·
Originally posted by white scar@Feb 4 2005, 12:53
ok, but i think you missed the point of the kroot. their not their to win it for you just buy your big guns more time to retreat and shoot some more.

and from my experiances 20 kroot can generaly survive 2 posibly 3 turns befour thet die.
(sorry for spelling im slightly dislecsic)
[snapback]320833[/snapback]​
Then it was either bad rolls or bad tactics on your opponent's part.

20 Kroot + Shaper takes away a bit of a chunk, points wise. They should be used as much more than a meat shield.

#13 ·
Originally posted by white scar@Feb 4 2005, 14:36

[snapback]320811[/snapback]​
With kroot the goal is to COUNTER-charge if you're going to have them defend the the FW. FW are actually much harder targets, and much better meat shields than Kroot. Plus, you can get them photon grenades. So, the thing to do is actually to take the enemy assault on the chest of the FW, with the kroot behind them. They're photon grenades will reduce the enemy's attacks by one each, and they're harder armor will mean a significant number survive. Then you charge in with the Kroot, and each on the gets an extra attack. Hopefully, that leaves your FW free to shoot next turn.

#14 ·
The countercharging Kroot work pretty well, but personally I tend to infiltrate them into cover near objectives to begin the game. With the rest of the army mobile or long ranged enough to move into supporting positions fairly quickly, a pack of Kroot can really just chill in a little wooded area for the whole game--they'll outshoot pretty much any other unit in the game (point for point) because of the cover save, and if it does come to close combat, it's not too difficult to move them out and get the assault, or even just take weather the assault, which, in cover, they can manage just fine.

#15 ·
The countercharging Kroot work pretty well, but personally I tend to infiltrate them into cover near objectives to begin the game. With the rest of the army mobile or long ranged enough to move into supporting positions fairly quickly, a pack of Kroot can really just chill in a little wooded area for the whole game--they'll outshoot pretty much any other unit in the game (point for point) because of the cover save, and if it does come to close combat, it's not too difficult to move them out and get the assault, or even just take weather the assault, which, in cover, they can manage just fine.

#16 ·
I don't charge with my Kroot at all. Against marines, you're not going to strike first, so I'd much rather sit in my woods, wait till they get within 12", rapid fire them and let them assault me, at which point I strike first (for being in cover) with 2 attacks each. And after all that, even if I do lose combat... it was a 98 pt unit.

#17 ·
definate pro of tau- free 6" assault move in any direction
it's so useful for hit and run attacks with things like burst cannons!
Great stuff really.

#18 ·
Originally posted by T0nkaTruckDriver@Feb 4 2005, 20:41
I don't charge with my Kroot at all. Against marines, you're not going to strike first, so I'd much rather sit in my woods, wait till they get within 12", rapid fire them and let them assault me, at which point I strike first (for being in cover) with 2 attacks each. And after all that, even if I do lose combat... it was a 98 pt unit.
[snapback]321206[/snapback]​
That strategy works really well especially if you stay around 7'' or 8'' away from the edge of the forest. Because of their fieldcraft ability they can fire at enemy units for a little while and the opponent cant fire back. Of course you cant do this forever but its really demoralizing for an opponent to not be able to kill 7 (or 8 ) point models while they fill him with little holes.

#19 ·
if i am defending against an enemy i will deploy my battle suit(s) behind a forest so long as it is not more than 8 inches wide, i walk(not jump) into the forest then at the end of the turn jump back out, this really annoys people who think that they are on a table where battle suits can not jump over cover then jump back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.