Magnetised Heavy-d - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone ever successfully magnetised the heavy-d gun, so that you can use it as a regular destroyer?

I am tempted to try it now that I have a good source for strong magnets (kjmagnetics.com).

I'd be interested to know what size/strength magnet you used on each side and how you kept the gun from swiveling down.

Thanks!
    Justin

Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

I'm in the same process, using rare earth magnets. Friend used 1/8" ones for his space marines. I'm going to try 1/16" since the Destroyer arms are pretty small...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used the 1/16" ones, they aren't strong enough to hold the regular destroyer gun on consistently, not a chance on the heavy-d's gun. Maybe the ones you are getting are more powerfull, let me know how it goes.

Justin
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

I had an extra destroyer upper torso from my destroyer lord, so i magnetized the torso to the body on one of my h destroyers, so it can be a destroyer or h destroyer. no, i used a nail head on the body, so im not sure if it is as strong as magnet on magnet, but when i put the h dest torso on the body, it sagged tot eh right, as the gun is so darn heavy (maybe thats why its called the heavy ggause canon). So I had to add a pin to keep in from tilting, and even then it has to be inserted just right. I guess this doen't help you much, but its just my story...

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting, never thought about magnetising the torso. This would work, since I have an extra torso from my destroyer lord. I've used my magnets to mount the whole heavy-d on the flying base (had to use a few to get enough power).

Too bad this would only work for 1 model (since I don't have extra heavy-d torso's lying around), I was thinking of doing more than that.

Thanks for the info!
    Justin
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe you could avoid magnets and use pinning, but not glue it, so you can un pin the thing and put a different one in. Or oyu could go online and by the destroyers body sprue....
    Back from a long adventure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input!

I'd be afraid that the pinning would wear out frequently.

The destroyer body sprue *is* the destroyer, so your pretty much buying the whole model at that point.

I was trying to get away with just buying the $4.00 bits for the heavy-d's gun, and getting to magnetise it with a standard destroyer. Unless someone has been successful in doing so, I'm just gonna have to buy the models.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Justin
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey J,

Been pondering that for a while now...

I just use the blue or yellow 'post-it' putties... they hold quite well.

I bought a bunch of rare-earth magnets and they are STRONG! I think it'll work for you.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D1Y1

The only problem I see is that unlike the space marine arms and shoulders, the Destroyer arm is VERY small... it won't "hide" the magnet as well...

Let us know if it works and how it worked... I've pretty much given up on the idea since I would have to either drill through the body or cut off the "round" part of the destroyer arm to put a flat disc on...

I'll stick with putty for now... It's not like I'll use more than 4 Heavy D and 8 Destroyers *all* the time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kryzak@Feb 8 2005, 20:15
    Hey J,

Been pondering that for a while now...

I just use the blue or yellow 'post-it' putties... they hold quite well.

I bought a bunch of rare-earth magnets and they are STRONG! I think it'll work for you.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D1Y1

The only problem I see is that unlike the space marine arms and shoulders, the Destroyer arm is VERY small... it won't "hide" the magnet as well...

Let us know if it works and how it worked... I've pretty much given up on the idea since I would have to either drill through the body or cut off the "round" part of the destroyer arm to put a flat disc on...

I'll stick with putty for now... It's not like I'll use more than 4 Heavy D and 8 Destroyers *all* the time...
    [snapback]324141[/snapback]
    those are the same magnets I bought. the 1/16" doesn't even hold on a destroyer gun with consistency (a little vibration, and it slumps down). I don't think I'll be able to get a strong enough magnet..

I'll just probably buy the models . Oh well, no-one ever got into this game thinking it was a cheap hobby, eh?

Justin
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh really? that sucks...

well, just do what I did (or something similar)

9 Destroyers, 1 Heavy D

convert to:

3 Heavy D, 7 Destroyers

One more box of Battle Force coming, 3 more Destroyers for a final conversion of:

4 Heavy D, 9 Destroyers.

I'll get 2 more bits so I can *potentially* do your 6 Heavy D list, and I'll still have 7 Destroyers... but in almost any game I'll play under 2000 pts, I would have at most 8 destroyers and 4 Heavy Ds... so all is well. only 1 or 2 Destroyer bodies will have to use putty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast