Some Questions From A New Member - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, a question I put up on the rules board. I didn't get a quick reply though so I thought I'd put it up here.

Q. If a Tau commander is accompanied by Drones can he be targeted as a
    separate unit.
    A. Yes he can, because of this the Commander should try to join another unit to
    avoid being picked on.
    That's from the tau Q&A from the GW site, I guess it was printed in a WD issue.

I don't understand how that can be... Do drones really not block for your Hq units? The codex clearly says that drones always take the hits when possible, so I don't see why commanders should be exempt from this. I assume I must be misunderstanding, but I don't see how.

-Another thing, does anybody ever make good use of the kroot field craft? It seems to me that the ability to shoot out of 12" of wood is a big deal, (as long as you play somewhere with big forest pieces for your table), as it renders them totally invulnerable to all fire except ordinance barrages, it gives them a huge invul save from the barrages, and it makes them pretty safe from assault as every unit will either be slowed down when entering the woods, or suffer casualties while landing/riding through it. In fact, I was wondering if this makes the krootox valuable. I saw no mention of this in the various krootox threads I've seen. But a krootox makes a nice turret deep in a forest, totally safe from counter fire. (I'm assuming that all kroot get the values of field craft, is that a mistake on my part?)

-Also, I'd like to know who uses devilfish for their troops? They can be used to claim objectives in most missions right? But on most tables I'd think that you just wouldn't have enough room to move your firewarriors around... All you can do is get closer to them with the fish, unless they're a small force, and that hardly seems helpful. (granted I see how small units, like pathfinders, can benefit, but I'm not sure about the practicality of it for bigger units).

-Pulse carbines. I've seen alot of army lists with over half of a tau fire warrior group armed with carbines, is this legal? It is required that half of your total fire warrior troops use rifles? But it doesn't matter on a unit to unit basis?

-Lastly, marker lights? How many people use these? Other than for seeker missiles, they seem like a waste to me. They're heavy 1, they still depend on the BS 3, so they just seem like a waste to me if you use them to spot for broadsides/tanks.

that's all I've come up with so far, thanks in advance for any tips.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Question 1 : Yes, they can be targeted, because they form a unit of their own. So the commander doesnt count as independent charachter when he has drones. But he can still join other units.

Question 2 : Well, the fieldcraft ability do alot more than just letting them shoot throught 12" of wood. The Kroot doesnt have to do any Difficult Terrain rolls and get +1 cover save, and i dont see why you whouldnt use these abilities, they are all great. But the abilitie to shoot through 12" of wood is really great, you could advance your kroot behind cover and shoot at the enemys, which i think is great tactic, and if they get close youll only charge them through the woods.

Question 3 : I dont think that it is effective to use devilfishs, if you dont play on larger tables and can use that speed, get some more fire warriors instead¨

Question 4 : No, it isnt legal, it states in the Firewarrior entry that up to half of the fire warriors (round factions down) can have pulse carbines. So in a 10 man squad 5 can have carbines and in 9 man squad 4 can have carbines.

Question 5 : Dont think there are a meaning of using them (except if you have Seeker Missiles) as targeter for hammerheads and broadsides, unless you cant target something else than a tank. If its Pathfinders that has the targeter, use carbines instead and try to pin units.
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"

Of Trui and Gay

A Chaos Space Marines Diary

Svenska Rackham Sidan

troopseses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x3)

everything Vindkall said is perfect apart from his answer to question 5, I find that Infiltrating stealth teams with markerlight can quickly mark tanks and launch the seeker missiles, more often than not taking out the Tank/Dreadnought
    You cannot win, for to fight us is to give us power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Yeah, I forgot about that upgrade option, but I still think its rather useless on pathfinders, much better to just try to pin units instead
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"

Of Trui and Gay

A Chaos Space Marines Diary

Svenska Rackham Sidan

troopseses!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1 : Yes, they can be targeted, because they form a unit of their own. So the commander doesnt count as independent charachter when he has drones. But he can still join other units.
    Humph, I must be daft, because I'm still confused. You're saying "yes they can be targeted", meaning that the commanders can be targeted seperately? (seperately from their drones that is) Or do you mean that the drones can be targeted?

It seems to me that the enemy should only be able to target the HQ unit in general, like other HQ units, and the tau player gets to distribute hits to his drones as per the codex rules. If they commanders aren't IC then they can't be targetted I think, so I assume that's what you meant but I'm not clear yet. (and I still don't see what the official Q&A I quoted was referring to.

Question 2 : Well, the fieldcraft ability do alot more than just letting them shoot throught 12" of wood. The Kroot doesnt have to do any Difficult Terrain rolls and get +1 cover save, and i dont see why you whouldnt use these abilities, they are all great. But the abilitie to shoot through 12" of wood is really great, you could advance your kroot behind cover and shoot at the enemys, which i think is great tactic, and if they get close youll only charge them through the woods.
    Yep, I was considering the other stuff too. Thanks for the reassurance though. I've seen so many people claiming that the kroot suck that I was worried that I was over estimating their usefulness.

everything Vindkall said is perfect apart from his answer to question 5, I find that Infiltrating stealth teams with markerlight can quickly mark tanks and launch the seeker missiles, more often than not taking out the Tank/Dreadnought
    Thanks. I hadn't really considered this because stealthsuits are so weak, but now that I think about the marker lights 36" range, and the fact that nobody can target the stealthsuits at 36" unless they're really lucky, it doesn't sound so bad.

thanks for the quick replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they'll soon make a Q&A to address issues of the Q&As....

Personally, I feel that if you drop 30 points to have two weak-arse drones follow you around, you should be able to use them for their PROPER USE. I suppose maybe GW thought this made them too powerful... *chuckles sarcastically* Pardon if I find that ridiculous.
    Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about targeting the commander and not the drones are a mistake!
    you can only Target the unit in you'r chase the commander AND the drones..
    so you'r drones will die first!!! :a
    For the greater good!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the the way it seems to me, or at least the way it should be... but what was the Q&A talking about then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think u target the commander by himself if he is alone and as long as the weapon firing at him isn't a vindicare assassin that can choose his target, u can always use the drone to intercept the shot and make the save in place of the commander

Closed Thread