New Tau N00b - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Thread: New Tau N00b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wellim about done with my chaos army and soon i will be a tau player.
    Now i mustk now hwat to buy, all im plannign buying first is 2 boxes of fire warriors but im not sure about an HQ choice. The ethereals suck, but al there is really is special characters like o shovah and on shi'. Im plannign on spending 100 bux in about a month to get me started please help.
    By the way im getting lots of broadsides

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, you should get a XV8 for your HQ. Personally I think you should spend your money on broadsides, and from the look of them, kroot are fairly good (3 attacks in assult when charging). I just bought some pathfinders and some rail rifles, so i dont know how well those work. XV8's for elites are also very good, the plasma rifle will probably be your bread and butter weapon for taking out most enemies. Personally, I dislike the idea of twin linking the guns (just means they hit more... not good for more killing), so a weapon like a fussion blaster or missile pod i think work well on them. I have yet to use stelath teams effectively ( i forgot to do the thing where they are harder to hit while playing doh&#33. A devilfish might be ok, but they just have too few weapons. Hammerheads are fairly good, but I would go for a broadside team with 3 suits over 1 tank anyday. Kroot in general will be your guys to use in order to prevent ur fire warriors from getting raped in cc (that low LD and the almost promise of losing an assult isnt fun, thats why etherals are somwhat useful). Not sure about kroot shapers... ya get the armor save and all, but no advance if ya win the assult is pretty bad, but then again, thats what the kroot hounds are for. A krootox is probably a waste of money and points, but a range 48 rapid fire gun sounds fun. Drone teams are interesting... not too sure if they are good, t/l pulse carbines could be useful (but the t/l only makes up for their 2 bs, but the ppinning test is fun), and the tau jetpack really adds to their usefullness. Pathfinders just got the rail rifles, and Im not sure how good those are... Seeker missiles seem fairly good, great for takin out light vehicles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well how big are you planning to make your army?
    -If 2000 or under, get commander farsight. He kicks ass, it takes a 6-man terminator squad to take him down usually. But he will not go down w/ out a fight. If you are playing necrons, space marines, chaos, or SOB, get lost of crisis w/ plasma and missle pods. Against armies like orks, nids, eldar, dark elday, IG, get lots and lost of fire warriors. Give them the ork fighter upgrade 2, so they are not a total lost cause in CC. Also get the new unit: pathfinedr w/ rail rifle 36" rand, str 6, AP 3, heavy 1 (the perfect space marine killer). Broadside teams are the obvious choice, so stock up on those suckers (be sure to give some target lock). Also I would highly reccommend stealth suits (with the ork fighter upgrade, they can beat space marines in CC). A hammerhead is also a must. With farsight, u cant use kroot, etherals, or gun drone squads. But what a big loss that is, :lol: .
    -for over 2000 id go with whatever the hell that character before me said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think all that much of broadsides, personally. They're expensive, immobile/unflexible, and not very tough to kill. A twin linked rail gun is an awesome vehicle killer, but vehicles can always move and shoot, meaning that the vehicles can potentially stay out of the broadside's LOS, and still remain combat effective. The SMS makes for a nice auxillary weapon, except for its short range, and the broadside's ballistic skill.

I'm not saying that broadsides are useless, far from it, I'm just disagreeing with this,
    Personally I think you should spend your money on broadsides
    . XV8's can make decent vehicle hunters, and hammerheads offer more flexibility than broadsides for the price, at least imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammerheads are far more flexible than Broadsides and are far more mobile, but if you but Broadsides in a large fire corridor, screened by fire warriors/kroot and they will do more damage so Hammerheads are better if your enemy is unpredictiable but Broadsides are stronger, also look out for Basilisk, Vanquishers and various other tank busting long-range weapons. You should quickly destroy these threats with the infiltrating stealth team with markerlights combo or the Deepstriking Crisis Battlesuits with Twin-Linked Fusion Blasters. It is sometimes a good idea to keep your Hammerhead in reserve so it isn't lost to early as it is a great all round Tank.

Ps. Hammerheads in most cases be equiped with Railguns and SMS as this can pose a huge threat to infantry and tanks alike and may also fire at things out of sight (great for taking out Imperial Guard mortar teams :lol: )

cebwj

Buy list...

1 Xv8 Battlesuit (for Shas'O) or commander Farsight.
    3-6 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits (2 bodyguards)
    5 Stealthsuits
    24-36 fire warriors
    2 or 3 broadside Battlesuits
    1 hammerhead gunship

Thats a good and fairly large army...

Well you could start with.

1 Xv8 Battlesuit (for Shas'O) or commander Farsight.
    2 Crisis Battlesuits (bodyguards)
    24 firewarriors
    1 broadside battlesuit OR 1 hammerhead...

That works for most missions ( so you can try Tau out...)
    hope it helps...
    send a messege if u need help...

-CEBWJ :a

cebwj

OHHH YEAHHH DONT USE KROOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!&#33 ;!!!!!!!!!!!!!!&#33 ;
    EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!& #33;!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen to that brother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not use kroot
    Want a website built to show off your miniatures? We recommend www.reaperwebdesign.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

buy everything! hahaha

a lot of battle suits
    get tons of battle suits
    crisis are more flexible

Closed Thread