Help With Guardians - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need some good tactics for guardians as they always get shot shot up and can never get into range. I will mostly be playing agaisnt tau, chaos and imperial guard. please respond... (i am new to this site)

"if i catch you again ill kill the pig!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Use small squads of guardians, protected by a warlock with the conceal power, and stick a heavy waepon platform in with them. Shoot up the enemy with the heavt weapon, and forget ever using the catapults for anything else that colse perimiter defence. And by the way, don´t rely on guardians vs. tau.. Get some wild riders, scorps in wave serpents ect...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12-14 Gaurdians w/ a concealed warlock. Have 2 farseers with fortune,and 2 gaurdian squads,and thats one unkillable firebase

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I would say to take units of 20 with a warlock with conseal and a heavy weapon and like 3 units or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok... thank you for all of the help. keep those replies coming.

and by the way what does having a "cheesy" army mean???
    (keep in mind i am a noob)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For most armies,cheese means you have used the armies rules to abuse what kind of army is allowed,maximizing a few of your strenghts and taking as few weakness's as possible without any regard for sportsmanship or fluff....

Or,in the case of eldar,it means some 13 year old with space wolves or a ctan god and 2 monoliths got beat by you :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

"Cheese" is an expression used about armies that max out their killing power at all costs, mostly by taking several identical units, because they simply are the most effective. If I fielded 3 wraithlords in a 500 pts battle, I would be considered cheesy. Cheesy players are unpopular because their armies are very boring to play against, to say the least. Furthermore, most cheeseheads are the kind of player who know nothing what so ever about tactics, fluff and gaming expirience. In short: your average whining 10-year-old in the local gaming club...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you for that advice and explanation.
    now waht does fluff mean?
    again, your replies would be appreciated :wacko: :shifty: :ph34r: :rolleyes: :realmad: :mellow: :lol: :glare: :hmm: :blush: :blink: (N) (Y)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

the "fluff" is the gennerally the background story of the armies. The orc fluff ect. dictates that orcs are violent and agressive, and should rarely if ever be played overly defensive. The codexes and rulebooks are full of fluff, read and enjoy buddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally, Eldar Guardians can be used in a number of ways. The way that you use them should be chosen based on what will complement the rest of your army. Eg. how can you use them that will help to further advance your overall army strategy?

1. Large Squads, no Weapons Platform - Close to the 20-Guardian max allowed in squads, this unit can take many casualties before it loses effectiveness; it can be exposed to heavy fire and still survive for quite some time; a sledgehammer tactic, essentially; not many Eldar players employ this tactic because they don't like to use Guardians as "cannon-fodder".

2. Large Squads, Weapons Platform - A higly survivable firebase; large squad means enemy has to chew through a lot of troops before killing the heavy weapon; again, not often employed because most Eldar players like elite, survivable troops over sacrificing their men and women.

3. Mounted - in a Wave Serpent; not a great tactic as the max number of Guardians you can take is 10; better to fill those Wave Serpents with Aspect
    Warriors or, if you like, Dire Avengers; also means the squad can't take a heavy weapon platform.

4. Small Squads, no Weapons Platform - mostly useless; no survivability, no heavy punch; ill-advised to take a small guardian squad; only plus is that a squad like this often goes ignored and can be used to claim table quarters (but its even better to use a faster unit like a Vyper for that).

5. Small Squads with Weapon Platform - Easy way to stick more heavy weapons in your army; preferred way to field Guardians among a lot of Eldar players; not as survivable as larger squads, but cheaper in points; if you have 10 or so Guardians and a weapons platform, that's still a decent defendable firebase, and its more maneuverable than a larger squad; I prefer small squads of 8 Guardians, plus a platform and its 2 gunners, plus a Warlock with conceal. This 11 soul squad is very decent at getting the job done and surviving as well.

6. Storm Guardians - can be large or small squads, mounted or not; what can be said? Some Eldar players like them, others don't; Aspect Warriors are far better at CC, but Storm Guardians can take flamers and fusion guns - in my opinion, they certainly have their uses, but those uses are tricky to employ sometimes.

(BTW, sorry for the apparent bias in my suggestions - just working from my own observations)

Also, remember that no matter what role you use your Guardians in, they can all benefit from a Warlock with Conceal being added to the squad. Also, if you have the points, give your Warlock a Witchblade - basically the equivalent of having a Marine squad with a Sgt. wielding a Powerfist, which we all know is a handy strategy.

And lastly, USE COVER. Some Eldar players or non-Eldar players think Guardians suck because, basically, they're not as survivable as marines. Thing is, not many troops are, so don't compare them. Don't use them like marines. You can't march them up an open field in the face of heavy fire - they'll be decimated. Use them carefully. Use fleet of foot to move quickly between cover. Do not expose your Guardians to needless casualties when you can help it. You need to be cautious, but aggressive at the same time; when you see your opportunity, pounce and destroy.

Keep in mind one thing: most players don't regard Guardians too highly. This goes mostly for non-Eldar players. When looking at our stats, range, and low armour saves, they figure, as most of us have at some point, that Guardians will get cut down quick. This is one of the main reasons that the Eldar are considered a thinking-player's army. All of our units appear at first to be weak, but are actually very strong, so long as they are used properly.

This is a good thing, because it makes Eldar players somewhat rare and keeps our "club" full of elite, tactics-minded players, and we like it that way. The seemingly weak aspects of the Eldar stops a lot of players from starting them because these players want an obviously strong army. The way I see it, players who go for the strongest army aren't trying to challenge themselves. As such, they rely on their army lists and strong units to win, not tactics. They become lazy and sloppy. This gives us Eldar players, who have to earn every victory a leg up, because we can't afford to relax and rely on our armour or strong units. We have to use tactics, each and every time, to win. Its great to field an army that most players who are not in the know think is weak, then annihilate them with it.

In my opinion, the Eldar are possibly the best kept secret in 40k for this reason.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast