Tau Newbie Faq - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tau Newbie Faq

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Ok, since we seem to get new repeated newbie threads asking similar questions on a daily basis, I figured I'd try to solve the problem and have some fun at the same time. So, here is...

The Tau Newbie FAQ V1.0

Q: HI!!! IM NOO TO TAU! HOW R U?! OMG!! THE TAU ARE SO AWESOME!!11!! LOL!!11!
    A: Uh...spelling and grammar, and an actial question would be nice.

Q: wat, u think yr too good for that?! *****. this is teh intenet, u cant tell me how to type, go to hell :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
    A: Uh...see above. Come back when you use grammar, spelling and actually have a question.

Q: Ok, fine, you win. Is this good enough.
    A: Yes. Thank you.

(Sorry, couldn't resisit. :lol

Q: I'm new. What should I buy?
    A: Well, before you buy anything, get the rulebook and codex and read them. That will save you much pain and suffering. Once you have those, a good start would be a Battleforce Box and a box of Fire Warriors. That will get you a good base that will work well in any playstyle. After that, you should pick a playstyle and get what you need for that.

Q: What are these playstyles you speak of?
    A: There are 3 distinct ones: Mech Tau, Trench (Static) Tau and somewhere inbetween. Mech Tau has it's own website here. Basically, it's all about mobility.
    Trench Tau is the opposite. It's about getting a good firing spot, opening fire, and not letting up, come hell or high water.
    General Tau is a mix between the two, and varies along the spectrum, but generally tends a little more towards Trench Tau.

Q: What do the grenade launchers on the Pulse Carbines do?
    A: They provide a really nice reason for them to cause pinning, and squat-all else.

Q: Is it just me, or do Kroot suck harder then an industrial-strength shop vac?
    A: It's just you. Trust me, everybody hates the Kroot when they first see them. However, once you take a good look at them, you'll realize how good they are.
    Quick Guide to Using Kroot:

1) Kroot are not high-power assault troops. They'll hit hard, but they have no or very little armor, and will get wacked back as hard as they hit. Use them to assault troops once you soften them up a bit with your Fire Warriors.

2) Keep them in forests. They'll outfight anything short of Catachans in forests, and even then they can give Catachans a run for their money. They can see further and move further then anyone else in forest.

3) Point for point, a Kroot has move offensive capability then a Fire Warrior. Just as accurate, a gun close to as powerful as the Pulse Rifle, better WS, I and S, and 3 points less. It's their lack of armor that really weakenes them.

4) Kroot Hounds. Bring 'em.

5) Krootoxes should stay in their rightful place-in blisters at the store. They're overpriced.

6) Kroot are really good at holding stuff. Nobody wants to charge them.

Q: Can a Crisis Suit carry two of the same weapons without twin-linking them?
    A: No. And we're not sure why.

Q: Is (Unit X) better then (Unit Y)?
    A: Don't ask. There are no two units that can be directly compared in our army. They all fill different roles. Kroot and Fire Warriors cannot be compared, Hammerheads and Broadsides cannot be compared, etc. Now. in comparison for fitting a role, then some units are obviously better. If you need a tank hunter, a Broadside will obviously do better then a Fire Warrior Team. But that's where the comparisons end.

Q: Is Bonding worth it?
    A: This is all a matter of opinion and playstyle. In Trench Tau, it is very much worth it-it keeps your men on the firing line longer. In Mech Tau, it's generally not. In General Tau, it's a toss-up. You'll have to play a few practice games to see.

Anyways, so ends V1.0. As new questions pop up, or if there's something I missed, I'll try and revise.
    PS: It'd be nice if this could be pinned...

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with the sentiment that hounds are worth it. The only time I would consider them worth it was if I was facing off against something that had plasma grenades (which only come on Eldar) and was I4 or less (and usually assaulty Eldar with plasma grenades are I5).

In all other circumstances, I'd rather spend the points on more Carnivores.

Good start though! Keep up the good work!
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Originally posted by T0nkaTruckDriver@Mar 7 2005, 16:27
    I disagree with the sentiment that hounds are worth it. The only time I would consider them worth it was if I was facing off against something that had plasma grenades (which only come on Eldar) and was I4 or less (and usually assaulty Eldar with plasma grenades are I5).

In all other circumstances, I'd rather spend the points on more Carnivores.
    Good start though! Keep up the good work!
    [snapback]346583[/snapback]
    Everyone has their opinion. (Y)

I personally disagree with you, so we're all even! Hounds are definitely worth it, getting all the benefits of the Kroot squad for even less points! Plus their neat special rule.

+ Reply to Thread