Tau Ethereal...outdated? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Recently I was a little surprised when the Space Marine Commander in the new SM codex gets so much good for a little extra points with no penalties compared to our Ethereal.

    The new Marine Commander gives the entire army his leadership (that would include his allies if I am not wrong) and they can use it for all Leadership-based tests. If he dies nothing happens to the marines.

    Ethereal costs less points and he allows all Tau units to re-roll morale checks that does not include leadership tests like the new target-priority test and pinning tests. If he dies all Tau units may leg it...

    These two HQ choices offer very different leadership-based bonuses but in my opinion the Ethereal is less compelling due to the risks involved. What do you think?


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member joebloggs1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    346
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    12 (x1)

    Originally posted by dethray@Mar 9 2005, 14:55
    Recently I was a little surprised when the Space Marine Commander in the new SM codex gets so much good for a little extra points with no penalties compared to our Ethereal.

    The new Marine Commander gives the entire army his leadership (that would include his allies if I am not wrong) and they can use it for all Leadership-based tests. If he dies nothing happens to the marines.

    Ethereal costs less points and he allows all Tau units to re-roll morale checks that does not include leadership tests like the new target-priority test and pinning tests. If he dies all Tau units may leg it...

    These two HQ choices offer very different leadership-based bonuses but in my opinion the Ethereal is less compelling due to the risks involved. What do you think?
    [snapback]347691[/snapback]
    I agree. The etheral DEFINATELY needs re-doing.
    At least get rid of the rule that makes the army freak out when he dies.
    Chaos - 11W 0L 0D
    Orks - 8W 0L 0D
    Tyranids - 8W 0L 0D

  4. #3
    Member ^raven^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dedham
    Age
    34
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x1)

    Originally posted by dethray@Mar 9 2005, 00:25
    Recently I was a little surprised when the Space Marine Commander in the new SM codex gets so much good for a little extra points with no penalties compared to our Ethereal.

    The new Marine Commander gives the entire army his leadership (that would include his allies if I am not wrong) and they can use it for all Leadership-based tests. If he dies nothing happens to the marines.

    Ethereal costs less points and he allows all Tau units to re-roll morale checks that does not include leadership tests like the new target-priority test and pinning tests. If he dies all Tau units may leg it...

    These two HQ choices offer very different leadership-based bonuses but in my opinion the Ethereal is less compelling due to the risks involved. What do you think?
    [snapback]347691[/snapback]
    I absolutely 210% concur. As a former Tau player, I gave up 40k when edition 3.5 came out, I feel that armies with earlier "4th edition" codices are relatively speaking getting shafted in comparison to those armies with newer codices such as the Space Marines.

    I enjoy the Ethereal but obviously it is a model not to take lightly and to always babysit. That is why I rarely use it instead going for a Shas'el or Shas'o. I think this is unfortunate but I guess we'll have to wait until edition 4 (aka what everyone will call edition 5) for this to be rectified in some manner.


    Jon
    Playing: BFG, Starship Troopers, GMC1, B5: ACTA, WFB, LoTR, Warmachine, FoW, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Heroclix, M:TG, and YGO.

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x0)

    I understand all your frustrations, friends, but here's the deal: Most of the codices, if not all, are going to be re-written for 4th edition due to the inclusion of so many new aspects to the game. Look at the Tyranids, they need a serious rewrite themselves. That fact alone is what gave me pause on starting my 'Nid force. Right now they just want to put the Space Marines in the limelight for a while because they got shafted HARD in the 3rd Ed. Codex when the chapter traits system was eliminated instead of being revised as it should have been. Just be patient, it may take longer than we'd all prefer, but I'm sure there are plenty of treats for us all on the way from GW.

  6. #5
    Member ^raven^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dedham
    Age
    34
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x1)

    Originally posted by MrBaronIsBack@Mar 9 2005, 00:47
    I understand all your frustrations, friends, but here's the deal: Most of the codices, if not all, are going to be re-written for 4th edition due to the inclusion of so many new aspects to the game. Look at the Tyranids, they need a serious rewrite themselves. That fact alone is what gave me pause on starting my 'Nid force. Right now they just want to put the Space Marines in the limelight for a while because they got shafted HARD in the 3rd Ed. Codex when the chapter traits system was eliminated instead of being revised as it should have been. Just be patient, it may take longer than we'd all prefer, but I'm sure there are plenty of treats for us all on the way from GW.
    [snapback]347702[/snapback]
    Considering I'm out of 40k now I'm sure my comments don't carry as much weight as they would normally. But, I think it is sorta crappy that an army who has a 4th edition codex (edition 3.5) already needs a new 4th edition codex. I understand wanting to get marines out and don't blame GW because marines are their version of Gap bottoms. But, still....


    Jon
    Playing: BFG, Starship Troopers, GMC1, B5: ACTA, WFB, LoTR, Warmachine, FoW, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Heroclix, M:TG, and YGO.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Age
    31
    Posts
    771
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    -61 (x0)

    Also, remember that (while I agree that the Rites of Battle ability on the space marine commander is generally better) the Ethereal's re-roll ability does have one distinct advantage for the tau over simply high leadership. Namely, when you want to get your people out of melee (and their deaths, obviously, are worth it, which they usually are)
    you can re-roll even passed checks and thus increase the likely-hood of ending combat when you want to. High leadership just tends to make combat last longer.

  8. #7
    Member ^raven^'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dedham
    Age
    34
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    6 (x1)

    Originally posted by Bean@Mar 9 2005, 01:25
    Also, remember that (while I agree that the Rites of Battle ability on the space marine commander is generally better) the Ethereal's re-roll ability does have one distinct advantage for the tau over simply high leadership. Namely, when you want to get your people out of melee (and their deaths, obviously, are worth it, which they usually are)
    you can re-roll even passed checks and thus increase the likely-hood of ending combat when you want to. High leadership just tends to make combat last longer.
    [snapback]347717[/snapback]
    That's true but I'm unsure if that is worth putting Ethereals on par with the SM HQ. Just not sure about this one.


    Jon
    Playing: BFG, Starship Troopers, GMC1, B5: ACTA, WFB, LoTR, Warmachine, FoW, Pirates of the Spanish Main, Heroclix, M:TG, and YGO.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reputation
    2 (x1)

    Originally posted by Bean@Mar 9 2005, 14:25
    Also, remember that (while I agree that the Rites of Battle ability on the space marine commander is generally better) the Ethereal's re-roll ability does have one distinct advantage for the tau over simply high leadership. Namely, when you want to get your people out of melee (and their deaths, obviously, are worth it, which they usually are)
    you can re-roll even passed checks and thus increase the likely-hood of ending combat when you want to. High leadership just tends to make combat last longer.
    [snapback]347717[/snapback]
    I am quite sure that is pointless now. A Tau unit in combat may actually last LONGER than one that tries to run in 4th edition. Since our Initiative is so low, other armies have an advantage when they sweep us. In the past both roll 2D6 (suits were even more slippery in 3rd ed, with a 3D6&#33 so its fair game... Now I am afraid the Tau(amongst other low I armies) gets the shorter end of the stick.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Nashville,TN
    Age
    27
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    in fear of being overrun and killed instead of maybe(!&#33 killling something in cc instead of running and not even gettting a kill ....

  11. #10
    Senior Member willysnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cleethorpes
    Age
    27
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    4 (x1)

    i personally think that sm are too powerful anyway. But captains, libraians, thry take the biscuit. Try more play testing games workshop!!!
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts