New - De Army + Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

I'm new. I've been playing with Dark Eldar for 5 months by now and first of all I'd like to say: Awesome army. I've read some topics where a lot of people were disrespecting DE. The models are pretty cool and not ugly like most of them say. Maybe not a high detail level but what the hell, they are dark, they are evil. Who said they have to be perfect?? Everyone is picking SM anyhow, but they are just too boring. This is my first army and I would hate it to play another army because they would be just too slow. Not much fluff, but that doesn't matter.

I'm upgrading to 1500 pts and these are the main things that I use in my army. If there are any suggestions be my guest!!!

HQ

Dracon - Shadow Field - Agoniser - Hell Mask -xtra cc
    with 7 incubi
    2 warriors with splinter cannons
    mounted in Raider with Night Shield + Dark Lance

Haemonculi 3 (independent characters attached to unit) - 3 destructors
    with sybarite and raider crew
    2 blasters + Desintegrator

(I'm now converting an extra dracon on a jetbike, but I would give him the Shadow Field instead)

TROOPS

Warriors on foot 12
    + 2 dark lances (staying in the back in a building or so - "sniper squad")

ELITES

This will be two raiders with wyches + haywire etc

FAST ATTACK

- squad jetbikes with often a dracon as leader ( depending on game )
    2 blasters (squad of 7)

- Hellions with succubus ( 7 )

HEAVY SUPPORT

Ravager with 3 dark lances
    talos

I have an extra spot for heavy. NO scourges! but I can"t choose between extra ravager of extra talos trough webway portal for example.

This is and will be the main part of my army. Some feedback would be nice!!!

Questions:
    1)If I give my lord a drug dispenser can he assault 12 inch with his retinue. Is this for the whole unit he's in? And does this work too if he's in a jetbike squad?
    2)Agoniser or powerweapon?
    3)What is best to deepstrike? caus I tried a lot of deepstrike and it was most of it one disaster. can't to dirt.
    4)Wath vehicle upgrades do U use?

Thanks.

Eldar are dying, so why won't we help them a little bit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing I have to say: Lists belong in the list section.

Answers to Questions:

1: No, if he has the drugs he and he only may assault 12"
    2: I only give reavers PW's because they're S4. Personally I will either equipt all non jetbike character with an agonizer n'ccw. or Punisher n'T. Helm.
    3: Personally, I never deepstrike, I'm a strong convert to the WWP.
    4: Mainly if it's for raiders I don't equipped them with anything extra because I know they're going to die. However, I've always wanted to put the horror/terrorfex on the ravager because I figure they deal enough damage that this may become effective.

Review:
    Drop the Hellions. Period, I've never found them useful and doubt I ever will. I think a reaver squad of 7 is too big so I think it'd be better to have two squads of 5 with blasters.

Troops! You only have one squad.

With the heavy supports I'd either go 2 Ravagers or 2 Talos's. Reason being because I think you'll find the Talos will spend most of the game running forward. So if you're using the Talos have something to entice the enemy to come to you. Instead of going with a raider strong army which you take the battle to him.

HQ. Drop things from this because the bulk of your points is in the HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude you use 7 incubis and a lord and put them into a raider? Thats like asking to be shot with a big target mark on the vehichle. It will not only swallow ALOt of points it will be hard to get into CC and I doubt if they will get there points back.

Same counts for hamos I dont see there use even if they join your wych squads and warriors.

Like the dude said you only have 12 warriors in a box you get 16 and if you buy 2 blisters with dl's you should have 20 enough for 2 sniper squads.

Now my personal opinion and some of the other might disagree with me but the ravager aint that good as you migh think. Sure it has 3 DL's or dissies but it will get shot down really fast so I suggest dropping it turning it into a raider or something.

Also you want 3 heavy's but theres no real structure in your army. Wich tactic do you use? Since the 4th edition im adicted to WWP portals lately. Ive not lost till now with my WWP army. Your talos is slow and wont be of THAT much use if you can't get him close. Dont focus on the heavy focus on your TROOPS. Your troops are the core of the army and as far as I see your core is not even the minimum requirments you need to field your army. Get warriors wyches and start reading tacticas about WWP's.

also deepstriking sucks if you use screaming jets (theres no other way your deepstriking or with hellions) you will see it is a deathtrap because you CANT assault when you deepstrike thats why you need to play on pure speed with DE.

If you want a heavy then take another talos some warriors let the hamos join the squads carrying WWP's (so you can still use him) and make a WWP army.

I only play for 7 months now but I figured most part of this all out after 6-7 batlles our warriors is your main strenght and if you use it right there will be batlles were you will get minimum losses.

However with that statement out of the way, I would say listen to ArchonBjorn. He has a really good tendency to not say stupid things and give bad advice.
    Learn from yesterday.
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow
    -Archonbjorn-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks for the reviews. I didn't use the heamonculi so far yet. But what option should I take. My second troop as an extra sniper squad and what do I do then with the raider. Where should I put my haemonculi then?

If there are too much incubi to put on a raider. What else should I do? Drop some or thinking about another solution?

WWP is a thing that I will use for sure, but once I have all the models I need.

I agree with the jetbikes and I agree that deepstriking this army is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the reviews but some more advice would be welcome guys. It's sure appreciated!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I should of said this before. But maybe you should browse the army lists section and read the comments we've been giving there. There's a fair amount of lists to read and this will save us from repeating the same answers.

Haemonculi: Destructor always, anything else is up to you

Incubi: the reason we don't like the huge squads is the over kill. Yeah if they don't get shot down and make it into closecombat they'll each average one dead marine for their four attacks. so most likely with the lord they'll wipe out whole squads a turn. The only probably is after finishing off one squad they most likely won't be consilidating into another and will then be eating alot of bullets.....I generally take squads of five so they do a dent on my turn, and hopefully finish them off on my opponents turn. Then you can move them however you want.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Originally posted by Blackened_Soul@Mar 10 2005, 086
    Ok, thanks for the reviews. I didn't use the heamonculi so far yet. But what option should I take. My second troop as an extra sniper squad and what do I do then with the raider. Where should I put my haemonculi then?

If there are too much incubi to put on a raider. What else should I do? Drop some or thinking about another solution?

WWP is a thing that I will use for sure, but once I have all the models I need.

I agree with the jetbikes and I agree that deepstriking this army is asking for trouble.

Thanks for the reviews but some more advice would be welcome guys. It's sure appreciated!!
    [snapback]348888[/snapback]
    Seven incubi is too much. Full stop. not to be put on a raider, just at all. You never need more than 5 (have a look at thte tactica at teh top for full reasons).

Most stuff has already been said, I would put disintegrators on your ravager instead of dark lances.... they will be more useful more often.

The haemonculi I'm not so sure about.. I don't really like them

The RJB's I'd make two units, one 3 and one 4 each with 2 blasters adn a succubus with power weapon, drop the hellions unless you are one of the few who are actually able to use them effectively (I'm not)

Sniper squads should be 10 men only.

Get some splinter cannons for your raider squads (how many of these are there?)

Don't take Haywire grenades for wyches, they are a waste of points you have DL's for vehicles.

Make sure your wycehs have the following

1) Wyche Weapons

2) A succubus

3) Wyche Weapons

4) An agoniser (on the succubus, see 2))

5) Wyche weapons

Oh and remember your wyche weapons. You may want to take plasma grenades fro them if you have the spare poitns as these can be very useful when you want to assault enemies in cover.

To your questions

1) The drugs only affect him and in addition YOU CANNOT USE 12" CHARGE ON A JETBIKE at all, ever. This is why I don't like RJB's on my lord they slow you down your charge goes from a whopping 27-32" assuming you ride a raider, 19-24" if you don't to a paltry 18" on a bike, slower even thatn a footsloggin lord... don't like it.

Although you can take the 12" assault drug whilst with a retinue, jsut everyone else can only assault 6, however if you are 8 inches away you can assault further and retain unit coherency, admittedly only your lord can fight, but if you need more than that on a first turn of combat you've got issues.

2) Agoniser or Punisher on foot depending on style of lord, Power weapon on a bike, always.

3) Never deep strike.

4) Occassionaly night shield on ravager. Horrorfexes can be handy, if you have spare points (and count as defensive). Slave snares if I am in fro a 'silly list' never anything else to be fair.

I would suggest you read the tacitca article at the top its not yet complete, but has some good advice in it unit by unit. *Smug look*. Everyone whos contributed has made valid points and its generally pretty sound advice. Warriors are the best unit in 40k, and therefore in your army... take many.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut the incs down to 3-4 and fill the rest with warriors with SC. Also with the points you got left from scrapping those incs get warriors. 3 hamos are to much imo they aint THAT usefull. Sure there fun now and then flaming squads with a destructor on a bike but hes to vulnereble and its gonna be very difficult to get his pts back. Go for the main units wyches warriors raiders lord and jetbikes dont go for the fancy stuff altough 1 talos is ussaly usefull for scaring of opponents on one flank and in combination with the WWP ive seen them ripping whole armies with just 2 of them ^^.

However with that statement out of the way, I would say listen to ArchonBjorn. He has a really good tendency to not say stupid things and give bad advice.
    Learn from yesterday.
    Live for today
    Hope for tomorrow
    -Archonbjorn-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice!!! thanks a lot guys. I'm checking the army lists now and they are helpfull indeed. It's cool to get advice without being called stupid for the faults beginners make. In a week or two I will post my new army list after I played a battle with it.

Thanks again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's cool to get advice without being called stupid for the faults beginners make.
    I don't think anyone here will ever call you stupid just for beginner mistakes.

But the problem with the internet is you can't hear the persons voice to hear the sarcasim. So you just have to be careful when you write things because it can easily be read as insulting.

Plus you'll see board member coming in to stop the arguements because they waste bandwidth, detract away from the purpose of the topic, and are quite pointless. Yeah, I'm getting off topic.....

PS: remember the army list section next time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing I don't like about your list is the lack of troops (beside the fact you need 2 to even have a legal army). I personally try to shoot for a minimum of 35-40% of my force org in troop choices.

Never was a fan of mixing warriors/Incubi in a retinue. But thats just a personal preference on my part. Drop the NS on the HQs Raider. But I'd say put it on the Ravager. Have them on mine.

When you get your Wyches don't bother with Haywire grenades. Do you want a HtH unit busting tanks? PG/WW and perhaps a Blaster or two will do fine.

As with most others here, I haven't been able to make Hellions work for me either. I recently converted one of mine to carry a Blaster to include in my Wyche Cult but haven't used it yet to guage the effectiveness of the squad. My plan for these guys will be to use them to support a Wyche squad in CC and then use the Hit and Run ability to jump out and then back in gaining the +1 attack and STR bonus again.

OK I must be in the minority here. I think Haemis are a great addition to a DE army and at a minimum take 2 in every game. With the Destructor you have a 50-50 chance of wounding every SM under the template and a 50-50 shot of vaporizing them on the variable AP roll. Even better odds with non-power armored armies.

Played a WWP army for the last couple of weeks and found that a Haemi with 5 grots in a Raider (upgraded with scaling nets) was the main reason for success. I ran the Raider up and droppped the squad off in the middle of cover. With a cover save keeping them from getting vaporized and multiple wounds I could get the WWP close enough so units coming out of it were in HtH immediately. Cheaper in the long run than a couple of 15-20 man warrior squad getting shot to pieces trying to FoF and then standing still for a turn getting hammered.
    Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary. You know you probably won't like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast