Help Vs. Necrons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, here are the tau that i own: (i know its a bit small, lacking in battlesuits... some are things i got from friends and all...)

24 FW (12 pulse rifles, 12 pulse carbines, 2 shas'ui with markerlights and hardwired target locks, all fw have both types of grenades, forming 2 units of 12, both units bonded)

8 pathfinders (3 rail rifles, all pathfinders have both grenades, bonded, one shas'ui)

1 devilfish (fully loaded with modifications)

1 hammerhead (probably will an ion cannon, but i can understand using a rail rifle becasue he has told me that he trys to keep tight ranks in order to prevent LoS against his destroyers and a submunition could help improve my chances of taking one down... and a smart missile system, along with a full set of mods... 235 points or somthin.... lol)

3 stealth suits (one shas'vre with markerlight and hard wired target lock, bonded)

1 xv8 (missile pod, plasma rifle, fielded as shas'o, has a multi tracker on model... not sure of anything else to hardwire... kind of feel stupid though, should have loaded a shiled now that i think about it...)

(I am going for maximum ammount of points here... btw... lol)

8 gun drones

for special characters i own...
    aun'shi
    o'shovah (and yes, i understand i can't field the gun drones or aun'shi if i field him... i probably will not either... 8 t/l pulse carbines that have tau jetpacks on them seem useful to me...)

Im gonna be playing necrons fairly soon...
    I also have friends who play as chas, blood angels, and IG...(they might even be helping against the necrons...lol)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few problems with your list.
    -first, you can't use aun'ahui with o'shovah
    -next, you cant use the gun drone squads with o'shovah
    -third, you can not have three hqs
    -also, you have no broadsides ( a must for tau )
    -last, why in the world do you have 8 pathfinders, when you only have 1 hammerhead and 0 broadsides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as i said, im somwhat poor, and i know, i dont intend to field all of those hq units at the same time, i just own them to have a more complete list.... I know i cant field the drones as a unti with o'shovah, do u think im a fscking idiot....

also... from what ive read, a hammerhead is probably more useful due to its mobility, and im not made of money, so i cant just go out and buy 3 to 6 broadsides... im suprised u didnt think my xv8 count was too low... i need more of them if anything... and the 8 patfinders are just for a full unit anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you were to field pathfinders, I'd field the minimum so that they're mostly a railrifle team.

Gun drones aren't very good shooters, (a TL weapon with BS 2 only has a 56% chance of scoring a hit, barely better than a FW), but they're cheap and mobile as you said. Still, I'd ditch em and use O'Shovah. You have no broadsides, few stealth suits, and no kroot, making you a prime candidate for some new crisis suits and a farsight enclave army, imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I forgot about the phase out thing. Be sure to concentrate fire on warriors, to make him phase out when you kill off 75% of them. If he has a lord w/ ressurection orb, be sure to take him out immediately w/ markelights and railguns. Im pretty sure he wont be using a monilith in a 1000 point battle, so ur ok there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, he has like a destoryer lord with rez orb... his main idea is to have a tight formation of warriors so he can push up the line with them, while keeping his destoryers/heavy destroyers behind them (apparently they are less than twice the soze so LoS can't be traced either...) so i am thinking using the submuntion with my hammerhead is my best chance at casuing a phase out (sure its a bit weaker, but with his rez orb... not really helpful, still gonna get the WBB... even goin for the lord and he gets the WBB even if i hit him with a weapon that is twice its toughness...).

He has the Nightbringer... but I don't think hes gonna field it... I hope he won't... I did a test where I assumed I had 5 broadsides (about the same point cost as the nightbringer) and began shooting at it from 72" and it moved every turn and all... and it won ... prehaps poor die rolls... but thats scary to me...

Yeah.. I know, i need XV8s and broadsides, but hey, im outta cash for a while...

thx for the info on the drones...
    with the pathfinders though, im trying to maximize my points anyway... I think I can use every model I can field, so 4 other guys in the pathfinder squad can at least markerlight for other units, say the stealth team.. or fire the carbines if the enemy gets too close...

Yeah... O'Shovah is fun anyway... ive used him to kill whole squads of space marines...don't mind having to deploy the drones as like their semi normal bodygaurd purpose anyway...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he's gonna group his necron warriors together then you might want to ignore them at the start. The standard trick against necrons is to force phase out, but if he is going to sacrifice his strategy to keep em bunched then I'd reccomend trying to get around them to bring down the destroyers etc. Even if you can't shoot over the warriors, the fact that he has them bunched up means that he is leaving you lots of room to maneuver, ideal for a tau army with lots of crisis suits.

I wouldn't take vehicles though, gauss weapons and their glancing hits are just too dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey uh... im still not fully aware of rail rifle rules... don't have the WD, correct me if im wrong, its a range 36" s6 ap3 heavy 1 causes pinning tests, weapon that costs 10 points, and up to 3 pathfinders in a squad can take it, it can also be loaded with a target lock for 7(?) points, if it has a target lock, it can overheat like a plasma weapon... thx...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think what you need to do, because he is bunching all of his guys together, is get a good amount of fire warriors to try to take out as much as possible and try and force a phase out. and because the necrons are such poor assaulters you will want a good amount of kroot to take out his guys in close combat where he has no control, or power. and yes broadsides are a MUST. if you don’t have any well, you have no chance to survive make your time. Well good luck, and happy hunting.

Closed Thread