Us Vs. Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Us Vs. Eldar

Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are we expected to beat Eldar. I played against my friend yesterday, between his Fire Prism, multiple bright lances and star cannons, I was mowed down before I got to him. My stealers were actually able to get onto his Wraithlord, but guess what! w/o the str. upgrade it's impossible to hurt it.

Thanks for any tips. I've only been playing for about 2 weeks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Eldar are difficult to beat. They can outshoot us (of course), and they can out-assault us (with striking scorpions). You have to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes.

It would be very useful to know what your army list looks like, and what exactly your opponent used.

Generally, you need big bugs with venom cannons in order to deal with pesky skimmers which you can hardly catch in close combat. Biovores are great against eldar. Be sure to have some hormagaunts, these have a longer charge range than gurdians can shoot (6" move+12" weapon range).

Just a note, your genestealers *could* have hurt that wraithlord, even without that strength upgrade. With their rending claws they just need three sixes at the to hit rolls and the WL is gone - with their rending claws they can wound absolutely anything (a monolith being the only exception), completely bypassing the toughness with these special hits.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always, use terrain to your advantage. You can move through it better (for the most part) and they can't shoot through it.

My first game against Eldar I got slaughtered because I let him set up the board and, naturally, he set it up to his advantage.

Biovores are also a good choice. Poison mines are good for their ability to take out war walkers (which are a favorite of my Eldar friend), and they have a decent, non-LOS attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, eldar dont have that many blast template weapons, so try running your swarm in a column down the side of board, forcing him to move the bulk of his forces to one side also...

with him trying to move over, you should serve your eldar with a sprinkling of Lictor in the middle (make him a bit more scared to run about the place), pepper the middle with poison mines (maybe shoot at dense units near your column/spearhead formation to 'cover' your attack with spore mines) and with a bit of luck things should go your way...

just make sure to have a large rending brood for any big things like a wraithlord or seer council.. also, try not to land within shooting range of a phat guardian squad without cover, even though this is common sense and goes without saying, many people underestimate large guardian squad's shooting ability... i know i have once or twice

anyway good luck, do the hive mind proud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he uses heavy antigrav platforms a unit of 12-16 gargoyles deepstriking on there heads will take a chunk out of his fire power.
    or a second hq choice of tyrant guard to protect a carnifex with a strangler will mess up grav tanks and poek holes in foot units.
    but no matter what they have FoF so count on CC to happen fast if you can hide behind and in terrain.

XG

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im an ulthwe player and happened to wander intop nid country and so ill lend a little advice.

eldar's beiggest weakness is their toughness, and str. thats why they dont like combat and rely on big things for combat. i dont knwo much about bugs but i belive that the lil uns can assult 12 or yu can give em upgrade to assult 12. do that. that way u can stayt away from the 12 catapults(nids worse enemy, next to flmaers) and then still be able to assult from outside or that 12 range. u will easily rip apart a guardian squad since they ahve low armor.

for writhlords, vemon cannons will hurt. they are str 10 so u wound on a 2 and no saves. field 2 and just pummelt he writhlords until they go down. the wriathlrods weakness is no inv save so anything thats ap 1 or 2 will hurt it. and since we rely so much on writhlords for combat that will severly crippple our chances

as for seer coucils(which are awesome) throw huge amounts of lil 'uns at it and allt he re rollable 4+inv saves wont dot hem any good. also the seer coucil has VERY few attacks. on the charge they get 3 a piece thats onyl like 15 attacks, compared to yur 30. plus their witchblades arent power weapons, onyl wound on a 2+ and what help is that against guants.

i hope this helps and good luck.

oh i forgot, watch out for 3 war walkers with 6 scatter lasers/star cannons. thatll put a damper on just about anything,.
    <insert witty remark here>

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Just a note: venom cannons do not negate a WL&#39;s armour save.

jwu

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wats its ap? im sry for the mistake then i thought it was ap2
    <insert witty remark here>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VC&#39;s have an AP of 4. An overcharged Warp Blast has an AP of 2, that may have hit you. Some people load their Tyrants up with both.

Him
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend and I are both new to the game, but he tends to take in more money than I, the college student, so he got a far greater selection to play with. I had my Hive Tyrant, with VC, and S. Talons, all possible mutations, Warp Field and Blast for Psychic Powers, and mutated with Wings for the 12" move. In addition to that, I had two units of 6 genestealers with S. Talons, 2 Zoanthropes with Warp Blast, and a Ravener, with a Deathspitter I believe.

He had a Psychic guy of somesort with some throwable lance that triples his strenght, a Fire Prism, a Wraith Lord, two basic troops of 5 each, and a vyper I think, maybe a Falcon too. Can&#39;t remember exactly.

Our point totals came out to be around the 670 area if I remember correctly, his might have been a little higher.

In response to the answer of the Wraith Lord. From my impression of rending claws, if it hits on a 6, they get no armor save, and if against vehicles you get an extra d6 for armor penetration. A wraith lords toughness is 8, a genestealers strength is 4. 4S vs. 4T = 4 to wound. 4S vs. 5T = 5 to wound. 4S vs. 6 or 7T = 6 to wound. 4S vs. 8T = 7 to wound (impossible on a d6). Rending claws does nothing to bring down a units toughness that I&#39;m aware of. Please correct me if I&#39;m wrong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast