Help Me Make A Tourny List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need help for an upcoming tourny, and i still am not that good with me nids, so...
    This is what i have, i need help making a 1000 pt list with them. It is very unlikely i will buy anything more, cept gaunts possibly. Not much cash....

1 hive tyrant, main part assembled, can have whatever weapons you suggest (i figured out a really easy way to take them off and such...)

2 gaurds

3 warriors (same thing about weapons)

20 termagaunts
    8 non assembled non leaper gants from the box, 8 assembled leapers with STs

18 genestealers

2 zoanthropes
    1 carni(whatever you want for weapons, see how nice I am)
    3 biovores, with a LOT of spore mines.

Back from a long adventure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Originally posted by theredkitty@Mar 19 2005, 086
    I need help for an upcoming tourny, and i still am not that good with me nids, so... This is what i have, i need help making a 1000 pt list with them. It is very unlikely i will buy anything more, cept gaunts possibly.
    --- Will this tournament be before or after May? Just asking, since the 4thEd Codex is on its way...

I'd definitely suggest buying Gaunts, especially more Leaping ones. If You don't want the walking shooting ones, then check if You can mail-order some Hormagaunt sprues from the GW online store, phoneline or via Your local GW retailer.

Hive Tyrant: So You're already able to change weapons later if 4thEd brings changes? Good! (Y)

For a walking Tyrant, I'd take a VCannon (or two) since it will need the range to be effective. A single VCannon with WBlast can also be handy, especially if the tournament agrees on the ability of firing both WB and a ranged bioweapon in the same turn as per the 4thEd MC rules... But I wouldn't count on that one. In case You can't shoot both, then VCannon for long-range anti-vehicle work (AV 10-12) and use the WBlast against SM and the like at short range, focused to deal with AV 13-14.

Guards: Wouldn't take in this small a game, the points can be used on other stuff... But tournaments might require them, since many players outfit their armies with anti-SM firepower, which quite often has AP enough to deal with the Tyrant as well (Plasma, Starcannons, etc). Up to You.

Warriors: You need to make the decision of whether You want CC or ranged Warriors: CC Warriors can deal with pretty much anything when in CC, ranged ones best dealing with AV10-12 vehicles and light infantry ('Nids, IG, DE, some Eldar, Orks).

Termagaunts: Ok enough, but if You can, change them to Spinegaunts... Might not be an option for You, though.

Leaping Gaunts: More... I suggest at least 2x16, with one Hive Node per brood. You have 8 already, so You'd need to buy 6 Hormagaunt sprues (4 Gaunts per sprue) to get the rest.

At the very least, I'd up the single brood to 16... That would mean buying another box of Gaunts, which would mean You get 16 Leapers and 16 walking Gaunts. Equipping those walkers with Spinefists, You get considerably cheaper mass than the Termagaunts.

Genestealers: I wouldn't take too many of these if I didn't have 2 Leapagaunt broods to support them... If You do take them, I'd suggest one brood of 8-10. Perhaps full brood of 12 if You really can't afford more Gaunts, but expect some to die.

Zoanthropes: Solid against SM-type opponents. Remember to use the TMCs as living shields.

Carnifex: VCannon or two, if You expect to see AV13-14 vehicles... I myself probably wouldn't take one in this small a game, but You never know.

Biovores: Solid against non-SM, personally I'd take them with Poison and Bio-Acid for all-around effectiveness... Poison does most often as well as Frag, so I find Frag isn't a necessity.

Now, try to build up Your list and then we can tell You what parts of it will be decent for a tourney, and what won't.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tourny is before may, its like in a week from today (sat 26). Heres what i thinking, o and tourny is against lots of sm (how original), no eldar, csm, some necros, tyranids, gaurd, and orcs. They are using the 4thed rules for everything and the GW revised rules for everyone. O and i got some more gaunts from a friend who is letting me borrow.

Walking tyrant, ST, VC, warp blast and psyic scream

3 leaping cc warriors, RC and ST, init, ws, st, and ext carapce upgrade.

8 stealers with nothing extra.

16 leapers with a node, st and ws upgrade.

2warp blast zoanys

dual vc carni with extended carapace

3 biovore, 2 acid 1 poisin.

I decided to make it xtra marine/marine type killy, becuase theres lots of them to fight (like 30ish people in the tourny, about 20 are marine/scm/necrons). How does it look?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you give your carnifex enhanced senses. A BS of 2 isn't that effective. I try to take 3 of the same mine for my biovores, either posion, bio-acid, or both. Otherwise, it looks okay. It's a tough choice between thropes and guard, but it's your decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carni is the one from the codex, no special upgrades on it, so it already comes with bs3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Tyrant: Go Mutable, or list the biomorphs if You already have!

Warriors: I'd suggest FlsHks to top them off, if You can afford it.

Genestealers: Decent... Just remember, tourneys tend to be notorious for lack of terrain.

Leaping Gaunts: I'd take the Init biomorph, or switch the WS for the Init... I find the Init is nigh essential, at least for my Gaunts since it means they can strike before SM/CSM and will be much more likely to Sweeping Advance when victorious against Necrons.

Zoans: As before.

Carnifex: As before.

Biovores: I'd take them all with the same type of Spore mines, P+BA, but You probably won't be able to afford them.

All in all, I'd say the list looks pretty decent.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i can easily switch for initiative cuase its same pts (for gaunts), i have just enough pts for the flsHooks on the warriors, tyrant is mutaded to have ws, bs, str, init, and extended. With what i already put on him. Genestealers should be ok, the terrain guys are going to put at least 3-5 pieces of largish area terrain on each board (6 by 4 boards, largish is like 6 inch by 6 inch or larger), so it should be fine. And if not then the stealers will draw a lot of fire for a round but it will save my guys for a round i guess. The carni also takes a lot so the stealers might get in fast enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a walking Tyrant, I'd take a VCannon (or two) since it will need the range to be effective. A single VCannon with WBlast can also be handy, especially if the tournament agrees on the ability of firing both WB and a ranged bioweapon in the same turn as per the 4thEd MC rules... But I wouldn't count on that one. In case You can't shoot both, then VCannon for long-range anti-vehicle work (AV 10-12) and use the WBlast against SM and the like at short range, focused to deal with AV 13-14.
    in the codex it says under hive mind powers ...instead of A ranged bio-weapon.

Zoanthropes: Solid against SM-type opponents. Remember to use the TMCs as living shields.
    Shoot the big one says that only terrain and combat block LoS for tyranids. i haven't seen the faq so if its in there tell me.
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the codex it says under hive mind powers ...instead of A ranged bio-weapon.
    We know this, and have discussed it already. However, in the 4th ed rules, you are allowed to fire 2 bioweapons in the same turn. Hence, it could/should be one bioweapon and a warp blast if you&#39;d like.

Shoot the big one says that only terrain and combat block LoS for tyranids. i haven&#39;t seen the faq so if its in there tell me.
    Yes, it&#39;s in the FAQ.

As a general rule of thumb, don&#39;t try to correct Uzi on the rules. He knows em better than anyone else I&#39;ve seen on these forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another good rule of thumb. Read the FAQ before you post, so your not spamming about all these rules that are no longer in effect, then saying you haven&#39;t read the fact. Heres the FAQ, read it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast