Forge World Drones - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'm thinking of scratchbuilding some Heavy Gun Drones and Markerlight Drones for use (Like hell am I buying them, I'm saving that money for a pair of XV89s&#33, but I was wondering if they're any good. I don't have Imperial Armor Update 2004 yet, but, giving that they're armed with Burst Cannons in both types, they sound like they could be a powerful addition to a Gun Drone Squad, giving some extra punch. Plus, the Markerlight Drones could save me from putting Markerlights on my Fire Warrior and Stealth Team leaders.

So, opinions, statements of pith and merit and whatnot?

Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.... I'm considering doing the same. The problem is that you need spare drones and LOTS of small burst cannons to get the job done. Not to mention the armor update book from Forgeworld. Considering that they are basically drones with a beefed up weapon and cost, I WOULD NOT use them. If I were you, I'd download the free rules on Tetras and Piranhas and try to scratch build those. In my experiences, they are much more useful (at least Tetras, see my thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they are very expensive, but if you need small burst cannons just put spare hammerhead ones on the crisis suits (MASSIVE BURST CANNONS!!&#33, and use crisis ones on the drones
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the main problem I have with the heavy gun drones that prevents me from using them is that they are a heavy support choice. When the choice comes between a hammerhead, broadside, or gun drone squadron, the HGD's will rarely get taken. At a 1000 points, its too hard to fit in the 100 points necessary for the HGD's of a reasonable squad size, and at 1850 you're already using up your three Heavy support choices for more important units. Perhaps in the middle range you could field the HGDs

As far as putting the markerlights on them, the HGD will not reliably enough hit with a markerlight to make it a worthwhile proposition. Plus, the markerlight is a heavy weapon, so it reduces the HGD's tactical flexibility dramatically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd considered using Heavy Gun Drones with Markerlights in small games (where my Heavy slots aren't full anyway) in order to get a few markerlights without having to pay for an entire squad of 'finders. However after looking at their rules I rejected them for the same reason Maus did... they're BS2 and the markerlights aren't twinlinked. Plus, the survivability of Gun Drones depends a lot on their JSJ ability... which is lost when you put a heavy weapon on them. If you're looking for a small number of markerlights to use in low point games, I'd recommend a few Tetras. They're a lot more useful IMO.
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

They're Heavy Support choices!? Screw that! I don't have enough of those to begin with!
    Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me.

Member of the Canadian Clan, eh.
    Mech Tau Cadre: 2000 points, needs paint and magnets.
    Paladins of Avalon (SW):-1500 points, needs paint.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

+ Reply to Thread