Crons Vs. Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crons Vs. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play with necrons and my freind plays eldar. the only thing i have trouble with is his wraithlord. advice on how to beat it would be helpful

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Veil of Darkness and the Monolith are essential in pulling your units out of close combat with howling banshees, wraithlords, avatars, etc...

Necron Armies are very HQ dependant unfortunately, and losing a lord early in the game can cripple the entire army. You need to protect your Lord at all costs, Veil of Darkness only becomes more useful as the game progresses; the less units your enemy has on the board the better VoD becomes. Because you have more options in terms of where to teleport.

Aside from massed Gauss fire at 18"-24" your only real alternative is Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers, but it's unlikely they will survive late in the game, and targetting a Wraithlord early on with your Destroyers is what the Eldar player wants.

My advice is: ignore the Wraithlord until its an immediate threat. Focus on killing the Eldar players AP3 weapons (Starcannons, Reaper Launchers, etc...). Force his units to make leadership checks and they will run off the board. Generally against Necrons they will take a large number of small units to maximize on support platforms... reducing them to 50% is pretty easy.

If you have to, charge the damn thing with Warriors and Flayed Ones just to delay it from reaching your more critical units. Just make sure theres a res orb nearby.

Wraithlords are probably the single most undercosted model in the game, and they have a near Ctan stat line. I really hope they make them cost a lot more in the next eldar codex. For 75 points, it makes Nightbringer and Deceiver look like complete jokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you check you'll know that the Wraithlord needs to take a heavy weapon. Most often this is a bright lance or star cannon which raises the wraithlords cost up to 120pts. 120pts is pretty comparable to a dreadnaught's point cost. Some might consider that the wraithlord has 3 wounds... however consider that the dreadnaught is almost immune to sniper fire and can't be hurt by vehicular explosions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khobai
    Wraithlords are probably the single most undercosted model in the game, and they have a near Ctan stat line. I really hope they make them cost a lot more in the next eldar codex. For 75 points, it makes Nightbringer and Deceiver look like complete jokes.
    every army has a weakness. for necrons it happens to be a severe lack of ability in dealing with monstrous creatures, TMC's, Wraithlords and Daemon princes seem to give you lot problems. my advice is to get a bunch of heavy destroyers. these guys are probably your best bet. that and you could get a c'tan. put that against the wraithlord and it (wraithlord) won't stand a chance.
    and a wraithlord isn't that bad. you guys get a skimming landraider with an AP3 ordnance template that ignores lance weapons whilst still being cheaper than said raider... how do you think us eldar feel about that? dark eldar get that even worse, their best heavy weapon glances your monolith on a 6.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wraithlords are just as survivable as monoliths vs S9 weapons and more survivable than monoliths vs S10 weapons. Not to mention AP1 weapons do nothing to a Wraithlord where they always penetrate the Monolith.

And for 235 points, and what that means to phase out, you should get a vehicle as tough as the monolith. Wraithlords being just as tough at 75 points is unbalanced.
    Last edited by Khobai; March 27th, 2005 at 04:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Khobai
    And for 235 points, and what that means to phase out, you should get a vehicle as tough as the monolith. Wraithlords being just as tough at 75 points is unbalanced.
    stop saying that! the minimum a wraithlord is is 100 pts, and thats with a crap heavy weapon that i've never actually seen mounted on one. ever.

off the top of my head I can't think of that many ranged S 10 weapons. there's a tau railgun, and some nid stuff...
    a monolith is much more survivable than a wraithlord against a lot of stuff, missiles, melta shots. its immune to plasma and anything <S8 its immune to sniper fire, its much harder to hurt in cc due to the fact its a skimmer.
    MC's get no bonus, where they still get a bonus vs the wraith (no armour sv)
    and lets not forget, the monolith can have troops leave it, it can give you in effect an extra wwb roll and DE have a real hard time hurting it, whereas a wych squad will annihilate a wraithlord. (agoniser)
    now i admit 3 wraithlords is cheesy and there should really be a cap, but personally i only ever use one, and its actually an essential part of my army (ok, not essential, its just a big fire magnet, I don't actually rely on it ever getting into cc or doing anything else for that matter), and just last game i played it got wiped out by plasma fire.

how many times has plasma killed your monolith?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even at 120 points, with a starcannon, wraithlords are overpowered. they are tougher and more heavily armed than vehicles twice their cost. I would much prefer my monolith had toughness and 3 wounds, than a crappy armor value... having your monolith die to one lucky shot is really demoralizing. especially when you have to watch a unit that costs half as much, absorb three times as much firepower.

An eldar army using 3 wraithlords.... its completely impossible to beat with Necrons. Necrons just dont have any decent AP2 or AP3 firepower, and last I checked necrons dont get gauss sniper rifles.
    Last edited by Khobai; March 28th, 2005 at 16:26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a friend who also plays eldar and he nomarlly takes 2 wraithlords, i ahave found that the best thing to do is get as many troops as i can with in rapid fire range and unload. remember even 6's can wound, and if your dice are with you, you can take them out rather quickly.

it also helps to have a regular lord with Vod & orb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It takes 81 shots on average from Gauss Flayers to kill a Wraithlord. not good odds.

Conversely it only takes 7 shots from a Heavy Gauss Cannon.

One thing I learned a long time ago about Necrons is that you cannot rely on the Gauss rule to kill things. You still need to pick the right weapons. Against wraithlords the gauss rule is pretty useless in fact... the gauss rule is really only good vs vehicles.

You need to take at least 4 heavy destroyers to have an effective wraithlord killing squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to take down the WL necron players have pretty much only 3 decently effective options 1. ignore it untill it gets really close then mass guass flayer fire and hope you get lucky. 2. asign a squad of 3 HD's to destroy it, note these cost more than the points of a wraithlord, and will spend the entire game just taking it down, but it will take out a unit that can effortlessly destroy more than the cost of 3 HD's through shooting and CC. 3.if your enemy is taking 2or 3 you might consider a ctan, as they can easily dispence with wraithlords, and will actually justify its points if it takes out three with heavy weapons, altough WL's are normaly scattered if your oponent is smart, so this might not work as ctan's are slow.

in my opinion, the fact that necron players have to resort to such drastic measures to take out an eighty point model is a sign that both necrons lack sufficient cheap heavy weapons, and that the wraithlord is overpowered.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast