How big should a gaunt squad be? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

How big should a gaunt squad be?

Well the title basically says it all. right now i have a 1225 pt. list that has 2 squads of 24 ( you can see the list HERE )

Pretty soon i will be getting 2 more boxes of gaunts and was thinking of having squads of 20. That way I would have enough gaunts to have 4 squads of 20.

Thx in adavance for helping out a new nid player.

"I am the architect of fate!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

I personally advise Gaunt brood squad sizes of 16-20, because I personally feels it works out for me (16-20 is generally enough to outnumber the enemy without being unmanagably large in size).

Your experiences may differ, of course, but 16-20 is generally plenty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

well, i dont actually have any experience with them. So I appreciate your input.

thx Poptarts Ninja

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im no expert but if you've you could take what ever non gaunt troops(say 1 squard genestealers and 1 rippers) that leaves 4, and divide all your gaunts by 4 and thats it, you dont gain loads from big squads exept a bigger target. after you've divided by 4 even it up if you have mixed type so they're all same in each one, obviously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

hmmm,

Well i always thought that with gaunt squads, getting a relatively large squad (withought being too cumbersome) was a good thing, since it allows the squad to tie up the enemy longer.

Anyways, I was thinking that as soon as i get two more gaunt boxes, ill have 40 spine gaunts and 40 scythegaunts, then i would have 12 "stealers also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

81 (x2)

Big Jake, your thinking there is entirely correct. The bigger the squad, in general, the more line of sight it blocks once you get it into close combat. Taking a bunch of small groups can actually be a detrement, because even with hive nodes they suffer from morale failure more easily if they're out of Synapse Range (it does happen).

My advice remains 16-20 gaunts to a brood, to tie up line of sight, and also to make sure you can space them adiquately (so that they don't become Ordinance Bait (they already are, why push your luck by maxing out a squad that's just going to wind up in Formation Cluster Bleep?)). The majority goal of a Gaunt squad is to remain in combat for the turn in which they assault, and the bulk of the enemy's turn as well. Pack too many or too few Gaunts in a brood and you'll leave combat too soon (on your turn, rather than the enemy turn). If you end on the opponent's turn... you can assault again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i use 4 squads of 16. but thats because i own 64 gaunts and i tend to use all of them. I'd suggest 16 for combat gaunts and larger ones for your cheap filler gaunts, but thats because i use 12 pt gaunts and want to engage the enemy quickly and at more than one point. (12 pt gaunt squad vs guard squad= consolidation into second guard squad next round)
    but a big brood of cheap gaunts will mean that you block a lot of LOS with your combats, which is where your cheapo gaunts should aim to be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer using huge squads of 20-32 gaunts. You may think "wow this guy is crazy", but it has helped me win many combats. Plus I find opponents much more scared when they see a mass of gaunts coming towards them in oppose to two smaller squads. Mobility seems to be a problem occasionaly, but it doesn't slow me down for more than a turn if the problem even arrises. Also with smaller squads it's easier to fall back which can be a big problem. Genestealers make an entirely different story and I like to use them in mid sized arrangements for mobility sake.
    You call those cheap implants boobs?
    They aren't boobs, they're lies!

http://download.theforce.net/theater...orkman_480.mov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that between 12 and 18 works best for me. Bigger than that seems to draw more fire, smaller just isn't effective.

after reading the other guys, it sounds like 16 might be the magic number.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

86 (x7)

Mine: 16-24, though I must admit I rarely take more than 20 per brood.

The reason is that my Gaunts are tie-up troops, used in combination with other creatures... This means that most of the time I tend to engage a single enemy unit with multiple units of my own (Gaunts + killers) when possible, so the amount of Gaunts in any single brood isn't that important for the purposes of eating the enemy.

Having two broods of 16 instead of a single brood of 32 means I can engage two enemy units, certainly stopping shooting from those two and potentially blocking LOS to a much larger area than would be possible with a single brood.

Once the amount of Gaunts increases I myself would prefer 3 x 20 rather than 2 x 30, simply for the aforementioned reasons.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast