The Powerful Space Marines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing this game as the tau for some time now, and the only army I have a problem with is the space marines. The few friends that I play with seem to have a few problems with the space marines themselves, but my buddy who plays them says that we are really the only ones.

The space marines simply seem to be overpowered in my mind.

To start it off: The assassins that he can choose. I can't stand playing against a single unit that can cost 120 points and under, yet can easily take out 300 points a game at the least. They can do the equivilent of deep strike without error, then move, shoot AND ASSAULT the turn the decide to jump in. This means they can run up to my broadsides after shooting some of his potentially damaging weapons and get in to melee. The assassin has a 4+ invunerable save and can jump away, shoot and charge back into battle every turn (with 50% chance to fail). Meanwhile I can't take out this 2W unit that is always in assault beacuse I can't shoot it. I can't keep kroot guarding the entire army.

Secondly, the space marines are just way too versitile. They can use SO MANY different units, with SO MANY different options, they can field an army with balistics that match if not surpass mine. They can stick their str 9 ap 2 laz-cannons all over the place, and with balistic skill 4, that gives them a definite edge. Sure, railguns have 10 str, but they are up against armor 14 land raiders, while the str 9 weapons are up against armor 13 hammerheads. Both glance on 4s. The range rarely comes into play, as the laz-cannons have plenty, railguns just have excessive range.

I'll say tau have some fine weaponry, but the space marines have some stuff that comes pretty damn close. That bs 4 really does make a difference.

I'm really OK with terminators and dreadnots, though I realize they are extremley powerful. They can be countered by crisis suites, even though they are just as threatening.

I'm not quite sure if I'm just a loser bitching about things that I don't understand, and I'm not saying that the space marines are so broken that they are going to win every time. I'm saying that the space marines have an edge. My friend is constantly pulling rules out of chapter approved, and other codexes that give him yet another unit or option that will help him a little more. I'll happily accept advice and voices from the other side. Try to keep the Miller-bashing down, though.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is why we have the points system. and the assasins just totaly rule...get over it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Errrrrr, yea. Space marines are too good for their points cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a bloody cry alexmiller and go and re-write your army list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my God slickis! That must be one of the funniest replies I have ever seen here on LO!!!
    Master Belial

'But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominions are in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. All the spirits that are associated with him are but angels of destruction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Hahahahaha, good one slickis *cant stop laughing* lol
    Btw, the SM list arent that good, its one of the most basic list around and SM arent the only guys that can have lascannons in every squad, The IG can have more lascannons and still have points over for some nasty tanks, which also got a lascannon or two.
    "As I walk through the valley of LO I fear no spammer, because I got the power to ban"

Of Trui and Gay

A Chaos Space Marines Diary

Svenska Rackham Sidan

troopseses!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what it sound like you have to do is simply remake your army list to do what you want it to do, and that’s fight SM. get alot of heavy stuff in as well as alot a basic fire warriors. SM are not cheep, they cost quite alot of points to field the basic models. and SM big drawback IS that they are so basic. your guys focus on long range combat, well what do SM focus on, other than some specific chapters, nothing. so they may possible be more versatile, but they cost more per models, and they dont really specialize in anything in particular. so all you need to do is change your tactics or army list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off: OUCH, slickis. That was miller-bashing the extreme.

Secondly, it seems to me that space marines can build their army list to do whatever they want it to do. If they want to outshoot the tau, they can do it with 6" less range. They have weapons with 4 str instead of 5, does not make a damn difference, since they still need 3+ to wound. The difference in bs and armor save does make a big impact on the game. Laz cannons have str 9 instead of 10? They're up against armor 13 instead of armor 12, they still glance on a 4+. Its easier and cheaper to get a laz cannon then a railgun.

And Vindkall, I'm not talking pure balistics, anyway. but if you do think its close when it comes down to shooting, Then the melee will certainly tip the scale for space marines.

And, everyone, at least acknowlege the assassin thing! I just can't see that damn thing being fair.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you do know that any imperial army gets them, not just space marines. And I do think that they are fair, they are good, but they do cost 95+ points. They are good but they aren’t THAT good. Name me one assassin skill that’s is horrible outrageous for its point cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't played against an assasin, but I can sympathize with alex there.

I don't even know what all the assasin rules are, but if they can have regular movement and shooting, and deepstrike without error, then it does sound like one assasin can easily get into your rear and tear about your vulnerable stuff. There's a reason that regular deepstrike stuff has such a margin for error, if it didn't then nobody's rear would be safe. For an army like the tau that is so dependent on shooting and so vulnerable in CC, that's an even bigger issue.

On the other hand, like I said, I don't know what the assasin rules are, and 95-120 pts, whatever it is, doesn't sound cheap.

As for SMS being unfair, well I agree that they're more versatile, but almost any army is more versatile than the tau, it's not just the rines. And I wouldn't say that the rines versatility really weakens their ability to specialize, they definetely aren't the best CC army, but they're darn good. Quality armor, high stats and power weapons make sure that they can compete with the best of other armies. And they can be one of the best shooting armies, without a doubt. Lots of room for heavy weapons, the high BS to use em well, and they're tough so in a straight on slug fest they can take more punishment than others.

I don't see how people can argue this, pretty much every 40k player I know recognizes that SMs are the noob army. I'm not saying they're not cool, or unbeatable, but they can do everything really well.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast