Re-starting Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-starting Tyranids

Oh lord...as soon as I think I'm perfectly comfortable with an army choice, something else gets my attention. I was a Tyranid player briefly before taking a hiatus from 40k. When I got back in, I hit up the Eldar and was very happy to stay exclusively with them until I saw some of the new Tyranid minis slated to come out. Now I'm inspired to restart them...its a good thing I didn't sell what I had on eBay...

So, just a few questions, some of which may be rendered invalid once the new codex comes out:

1. I like balanced forces the most...obviously Tyranids never lack in the anti-infantry dept., but what are some of the more effective Tyranid anti-tank weapons/combos beyond the Venom Cannon and Rending claws?

2. I prefer Hormagaunts/Scythegaunts to shooting gaunts...if all my gaunts are CC, will that retard the effectiveness of my horde (I know everyone swears by Spinegaunts)?

3. I am inclined to keep my main 1500 point army very basic, with a winged HT, loads of CC gaunts, some warriors, and one or two anti-tank creatures/broods...thoughts?

4. I want my Carnifexes to all carry weapons (so they're not useless till they reach CC)...of course a Venom Cannon and Barbed Strangler are good options (although I know some people like to warn against taking the Barbed Strangler)...but what about more obscure options for the Carnifex, like a Devourer or Deathspitter? I know the AP and range on those options are not great, but the Strength of each are amazing...four Str. 9 shots with the Devourer, and 1 Str. 11 blast with the Deathspitter.

5. I like the look of Ripper swarms, and to be different, I'm going to try and include a few of them (12 in broods of 6 bases each = 120 points). What is the general effectiveness of Rippers, and are there any recommended upgrades for them?

Thanks for any and all answers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

You really need to wait a few months until the new codex comes out.

okay, but here are some answers:

1.Really thats all Tyranids have besides just using monsterous creatures in cc to kill tanks

2.I think a balanced mix between Hormagaunts (or whatever cc gaunts you want) and spine gaunts because you can get a cheap average of about 7 points per gaunt and I can have a lot more but everyone has an opinion on this

Sorrey I dont have time to answer your other questions

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinegaunts aren't shooty, particularly, they're just there.

You can't have Str 11 weapons, ever.

Ripper swarms with rending claws can be just nasty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Ripper swarms are good in tying up units for several turns, the fact that their small targets often means they can easily get to the enemy lines should there be cover ( ever tried using 20 ripperswarms in a cityfight )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Welcome back to the Swarm, Houston... :cool:

1. You forgot the Warp Blast... Currently rather effective on Winged Tyrants which can get up-close-and-personal rather quick.

Then there's the age-old TMC in CC route to take, most often with Winged Tyrants (or the soon-to-be-gone Red Terror).

DSpitters and Devourers on Carnifexes can be decent, but lack range which is essential... Devourer Carnifexes are/were decent in Seeding Swarms.

2. Few people use Spinegaunts to actually shoot, so no worries there... They're just simple, cheap tie-up troops, and Your Scythegaunts will be more effective in CC. Reason most don't take Scythegaunts is because they don't want to convert the ScyTal, thus saving the ones they get for Leapers and putting the cheap SFists on walkers. If You've gone through the trouble of converting/acquiring ScyTal for all of Your Gaunts, more power to You!

Of course, reliable-ish rumours are that the ranged weapons are going to be made better, which most probably is going to be accompanied by a points hike which might result in the Scythegaunts (walking) becoming the cheapest Gaunt build... We shall see.

3. Sounds good.

4. I'd suggest fiddling around with magnets...

Then again, as said, they're planning to make ranged weapons better, so it could be the BStrangler will become a much better-rounded choice and a contender even if You choose to glue it on.

Whether or not 'Fexes may choose Devourers and DSpitters... We do not currently know. Hope so. =/

ATM, DSpitter and Devourer are fun alternatives, the lack of range being the major drawback for both, the DSpit also suffering from low ROF.

Note that according to the aforementioned reliable-ish rumours, Devourer will become AP -, considerably lessening its effectiveness against vehicles.

As for Your mistake on the DSpit Str, Codex page 8, left column, "Ranged Bio-weapons", second paragraph titled "Strength:", line eight: "Bio-weapons are limited..."

5. Rippers haven't found a place with my tactics, and thus I shun them in favour of IMO more effective choices... If You can use them to good effect with Your tactics, good for You!
    Last edited by Uzi-99; March 29th, 2005 at 21:25.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Everyone!

This is all great info, and I'll be sure to use it too good effect. I think that at the moment all my plans will be tentative until the new Codex comes out, then we'll all get to see what we have to play with. In the meantime, I can finish all my unpainted 'nid minis from my first foray as a member of the Hive Mind.

I'm really excited about trying out all the army list variations that have been rumoured, such as the Lightweight, Middleweight, and Heavyweight options. I think this Codex will blow us all away. Till then, I'll see you all around on here.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Monstrous Creatures do the trick here. It's pretty much all the Nids have except for Zoanthropes. If you can sneak a Zoanthrope close to the enemy behind a Carnifex or whatever, a well placed Warp Blast will annihilate any tank.

2. "I prefer Hormagaunts/Scythegaunts to shooting gaunts" - Me too. I don't really like the idea of bugs with guns. They will likely die faster although with leaping and fleet of foot they are amazingly fast. As a result the enemy has two choices - shoot the really fast scythegaunts or the big ones behind them. A decent sized group of Scythegaunts will kill a squad or marines/necrons. I only use scythegaunts. With a very ordinary BS and weak basic weapons I don't find the other types useful myself.

3. "I am inclined to keep my main 1500 point army very basic, with a winged HT, loads of CC gaunts, some warriors, and one or two anti-tank creatures/broods...thoughts?"
    - A Zoanthrope following behind only one or two Carnifex is good. Also Biovores are a pain in the ass for enemy infantry.
    I can't stress enough "Genestealers!"

4. Can't help you here. My Carnifex is purely CC. The Winged HT and Gaunts/Warriors normally tie the enemy up for him to get into battle. Either that and they all shoot him to peices freeing up the other troops.

5. "I like the look of Ripper swarms, and to be different, I'm going to try and include a few of them (12 in broods of 6 bases each = 120 points). What is the general effectiveness of Rippers, and are there any recommended upgrades for them?"
    I don't upgrade them at all and just sue them as is. They are cheap and a pain for enemy infantry, tieing them up for several turns while your MT's take a while to get there.
    Don't worry, it's only kinky the first time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Monstrous Creatures do the trick here. It's pretty much all the Nids have except for Zoanthropes. If you can sneak a Zoanthrope close to the enemy behind a Carnifex or whatever, a well placed Warp Blast will annihilate any tank.

well tyranids cant screen what so ever. but the idea is rather nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Astroth
    well tyranids cant screen what so ever. but the idea is rather nice
    --- Wrong... TMCs block LOS. Here I go again:

Tyranid FAQ completely rewords StBO, so that it no longer applies to LOS. Thus if something blocks LOS under 4thEd, it does so even if it is a Tyranid.

Tyranid FAQ states TMCs also follow 4thEd MC rules (and thus count as MCs).

4thEd rulebook states MCs block LOS.

Thus TMCs also block LOS.

Should be clear enough?
    Last edited by Uzi-99; March 31st, 2005 at 19:40.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

actually TMC do block LOS now in 4th

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast