Gaunts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaunts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i already have 16 termagaunts with fleshborers and 16 hormagauns with scything talons. i just got 2 more boxes of gaunts and was wondering if i should just make more of the same listed above or add a squad with spinefist. and how do spine fists work in close combat? should i give spinefists to termagaunts or hormagaunts? please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spinefists are just like any other non-pistol in close combat. They don't do anything special.

I like spinefists over fleshborers for two reasons: I fight a lot of people with a bad save, so the spinefists better ap value actually matters! Second, and most importantly, they are cheaper. How many times in a battle will the Termagaunts get a chance to fire? With Fleet of Claw, it could very well be zero. Gaunts (no matter the brood) can't afford to sit back and fire because the enemy can still target past them. If they get into close combat, the enemy can no longer fire over them and your other, better, very fragile units can actually make it into close combat.

Never ever give hormagaunts anything but close combat weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hormies are perfferct the way they are but i would make the termies spine guants. i have seen people make leaping spine guants but i wouldnt myself.

im going for a brood of 32 fleshboars and 32 spine (pluse mutants vc termies & nods)
    then im just going to have 64 hormies pluse acid blood, large ,nods and rending

XG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i already have a squad of 16 termagaunts with fleshborers. should i just add the spineqaunt squad to this or make it seperate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All gaunts have to have the same weaponry in a brood (with the exception of Weapon Beast mutants).

Plus it makes rolling for damage easier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

I never use fleshborers, they are a less efficient choice than other weapons. Spinefists give you some fair AP and are cheap. For the price of 5 regular termagaunts I can have 7 spinegaunts.

Another fun trick with gaunts is to give them the toxin sacs to upgrade their strength. For just one point more than a standard termagaunt, you can have a spinegaunt with toxin sacs. It has the same rate of fire, but denies the armor save for a number of models and also has a higher strength in hand to hand combat. Gaunts with S 4 are nice to have, because they can manage to glance the weak armor points on a number of vehicles or dreadnoughts.

Surround a rhino or dreadnought with termagaunts and the Space Marine player will laugh. Surround it with toxin sac carrying gaunts and suddenly things are not so funny anymore. I actually use an enhanced version of the hormaguant (Terror Gaunts) with toxin sacs, because they are much more lethal. My spinegaunts (without the S upgrade) are there to be total fodder. But a mass of 32 spinegaunts, with hive nodes to give them an awesome leadership, is sure to get the other guy's attention. Plus, they are really inexpensive. The whole mass costs less than my Hive Tyrant and about as much as my Carnifexes.

Truthfully, in 1500 point games, I usually have about 24 of the spinegaunts and 18 of the "Terror Gaunts."
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have gaunts with Devourers, Toxin Sacs, and Enhanced senses. (They also have implant attack - but its only there for fluff at this point :/)

So take out the implant attack. You get a bunch of troops that are comperable to Guardians as far as shooting (2 shots STR 3 range 12" AP 6 with a BS of 4)

Costs like 11 pts without the implants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would give the Termagaunts spinefists , becuase hormagaunts are more aimed towards close combat anyways. As far as I can tell , Spinefists have no affect on H2H combat , so they will just make the Hormies more costly to field. I personally would choose Hormagaunts over Termagaunts any day , becuase they suit my army better , but unless your going with a close combat uber-specialized (as if Nids aren't focused enough , eh?) I guess you would need a couple of ranged attackers. Oh wait. Isn't that what the Venom Cannon and Warriors are for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gaunts are shock troops. make them fst and cheap. use them to tie up the enemey till you can get your genestealers or warriors or what ever els you have there.
    the only things guants will kill in hand th hand in tua.

XG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The only things guants will kill in hand th hand in tua."

Wha? =)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast