Bio-acid mines and scattering - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bio-acid mines and scattering

When a bio-acid mine goes off you roll a scatter die and put the template in the direction of the arrow, right? Well, if the enemy has just moved within 2" of the mine or if the mine has drifted into the enemy, there's only maybe a 90 degree arc that would result in the mine splatting the unit that it blew up on; the other 270 degrees would all be a waste of a mine. If there's a 33% chance of rolling a Hit on the scatter die (2 faces have Hit on them, right?) and a 25% chance of the template pointing in a useful direction, that means there's only a 49% chance of the template hitting that unit. And that's *after* the mine actually contacts the enemy somehow, which certainly isn't a sure thing. After all that, is the bio-acid mine even worth it? When you guys use them, are you counting on them landing on a tank when you shoot them and then just writing them off if they miss and begin wandering the table?

--Ditchdigger

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Member Brother Captain Shadow Dragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be rude and double up on your question but is it 2" or 1" for the mine to go off? Or any of the three mines to go off?

Earth> USA> NewYork> Schenectady> My Pants
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x4)

2" if the enemy squad shoots, contact otherwise.

As far as effectivness goes, the Bio-acid mines work best against large armies or armies with alot of tanks (IG). But that's the drawback (and bonus) of all the mines. They aren't very accurate at all, but they never truley "miss". If they don't land bang on target and they drift, they mine is still a threat, as it could drift into enemy units or vehicles. I played a Marine player once and my Bio-Acid mines missed his Razorback completely, but drifted fairly close to it. He figured the odds were on his side and just drove over them on his turn. He lost the Razorback and 2 of the 6 guys inside (since I got a penning explosion). After that, he was wary of the mines that missed and hung out on the board.

It all depends on your playing style. You can use mines (even with their tendancy to drift) to form bottlenecks. Force your opponent to either shoot/charge through the oncoming Gaunt swarms, or shoot/charge through the spore mine field and not get to shoot at those swarming Gaunts.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually why dont you just place a spore mine in the middle of the unit (can place mines within 1'' of a enemy model) tehn if it scatters its gonna hit a enemy unti no matter what + on a hit you can direct it to cover the most units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the explosion of a mine doesn't scatter. u use the scatter dice to determine the direction the mine drifts.
    every unit under the small blast template is hit automaticly, the partially covered are on a 4+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by vindicator
    the explosion of a mine doesn't scatter. u use the scatter dice to determine the direction the mine drifts.
    --- Wrong... For Bio-Acid the procedure is different and You must roll scatter to determine which direction the template is pointed at.

If we had been discussing Poison or Frag, You would've been partially correct.

To make a quick recap, again:

You use scatter die to determine initial deviation when launching Spore mines of all types.

You use scatter die to determine direction for drifting Spore mines of all types.

You use scatter die to determine direction the template is pointed at upon the detonation of a Bio-Acid Spore mine.
    Last edited by Uzi-99; April 8th, 2005 at 00:20.
    "The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all biomatter consumed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be devoured."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x3)

While you guys are talking about spore mines I have three questions.

First can I put my spore mine in the middle of a vehicle, or does it have to be touching the outer edge?

Second when I am moving the spore mine it explodes if it contacts another model in the middle of trave right? so if I have to move 5 inches due south and there is a guy 3 inches due south of me I pop right when I get to him, and then roll scatter if I am bio acid or lay down the template for poison; I don't move my mine 5 inches and not pop it because it isn't touching him when it stops?

Third and this one is a little cheap, but do you think it is shady play if I model my spore mines on the medium size bases? it seems totally within the rules, and I think you could do some cool conversions of gaurdsmen being melted by acid...and how cool would the conversion have to be for people to not complain about taking advatage of pretty loose rule?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10
    First can I put my spore mine in the middle of a vehicle, or does it have to be touching the outer edge?
    You can put your spore mine anywhere you want to.

Second when I am moving the spore mine it explodes if it contacts another model in the middle of trave right? so if I have to move 5 inches due south and there is a guy 3 inches due south of me I pop right when I get to him, and then roll scatter if I am bio acid or lay down the template for poison; I don't move my mine 5 inches and not pop it because it isn't touching him when it stops?
    The mine only counts as exploding if it is in contact with an enemy model where it stops moving. Don't think of it as landing and then drifting, think of it as being aimed at a point on the board, and the wind carries it a bit before it lands.

Third and this one is a little cheap, but do you think it is shady play if I model my spore mines on the medium size bases? it seems totally within the rules, and I think you could do some cool conversions of gaurdsmen being melted by acid...and how cool would the conversion have to be for people to not complain about taking advatage of pretty loose rule?
    That is indeed a pretty loose rule. I personally don't think it's legal, as my understanding is you can put a model on any size base, so long as it is not smaller than the one it came with. Since spore mines aren't truly models but markers for ammunition, I'd say you are stuck with the base they came with. Just my interpretation though.
    Gyauayuayuayua! Ja! Ve vill crush da little girly men in deir little girl men awrmor! Ve vill see owur enemies driven befowur us, und hear da lahmentaytions of deir wemen. Und from owur home planet, de stayte uf Califowurnia, ve vill lawunch owur mighty offensive. Even if you kill us, ve'll be bach!! Gyauayauyauyauyau!

-Arnoldunit Schwarzenecronegger; when questioned about the impending doom he would rain down upon the heads of his doomed enemies.

Member Brother Captain Shadow Dragon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so during drifting if the mine passes another model because it is only 3" away and you rolled a five it does not detonate? What I'm saying is that the mine was shot and initial drift calculated. Then the next turn it begins to drift around the table. So if it contacts any enemy model at that point it goes off right? Since it is now drifting on the ground no mater what you roll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x4)

nichodemus10, I'm sorry. I misread your second question. Brother Captain Shadow Dragon has it correct. If you are moving the mine on a drift turn and it touches an enemy model before it moves the full movement, then yes it pops. I thought you were asking if on the initial shot and drift if it popped. Sorry about that. :rolleyes:

+ Reply to Thread