Need help vs Black templars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help vs Black templars

Hi
    i have fought like 5 times against the black templars and i always lose

They Shoot me down with plasma cannons, and when they come in close combat, they hack and slash me with a number of power weapons and fists

what is a good army list and tactics to defeat thosee.....****

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah, it's a 2000 point game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

How much plasma is your opponent packing and what units are they in? Ten cannons? If that's the case I'd be surprised if 2-3 of the cannons didn't overheat. Plasma cannons are heavy weapons so the entire squad has to be standing still for the cannon to fire. If he's moving his tactical squads and firing the cannons he's cheating.

Not much you can do about the plasma cannons from your end except keep a resurrection orb handy and spacing your guys apart to minimise contact with the blast template.

I find the best way to deal with power weapons is to gun them down before they get to you. Maybe use destroyers to do this?
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to deal with them is in close combat with Tomb Spyders. I sh*t you not.

Tomb Spyders own space marines in the assault phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Plus only devestators can carry plasma cannons if im not mistaken my SM knowledge is a little rusty. Deffinetly check this out. if they are plasma guns and he is using them as cannons beat his @$$ cause he is massively abusing the rules.

You may also want to consider using a destroyer lord with a warsythe and tell your opponet what the warsythe does and make sure he understands and fears it.

Or you should try deep striking units such as scarabs and flayed ones to tie his fire support up in cc.

or you may want to consider a monolith or (dare i say it ) 2 monoliths and use the flux arc to maximum effect by placing them in the middle of thier battle lines while you keep your troops off the field in reserves or pull them out of cc. Or you could use the particle whip to devastating effect especially if you have 2 monoliths. This will put a major dent in your wallet.
    If you take the monolith you might want to take phariahs and a regular lord with out the orb and teleport them right into the thickest part of his army to hack and slash them apart warsythes, warsythes, warsythes. No save of any kind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactical squads can carry a plasma cannon (a single one) unless there is some special limit/exception for Black Templar. Every tactical squad may take a single heavy weapon and single special weapon (I usually fill them out with a plasma cannon and a plasma gun). Even if some overheat, it's not a huge deal -- as a SM player, I almost never worry about plasma killing my marines. Yeah, every couple of games I'll lose one with 4 or so plasma weapons in an army (including the increased risk with rapid firing plasma guns), but that 3+ armor save is very reliable to protect from overheating.

As far as beating them, you'll probably want 2 Lords with Res Orbs, maybe a unit of wraiths since they'll do decent in CC with their invulnerable save, and try to keep the rest of your army close to the Lords and get into range, and bring a destroyer unit or two for some fire support. With res orbs nearby, you'll have a better increased chance to survive against the power weapons, but chances are you still won't survive close combat with them. Winning the firefight is your best bet, I think -- cc against a lot of power weapon toting weapons doesn't sound good for your necrons.

That's the best I can suggest for you -- I don't play necrons, but I thought I'd just clear up that bit about tactical squads & heavy weapons.
    Sithlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

yeah if they have a lot of power weapon units you want scarabs for lots of wounds and wriths for their save along with a destroyer lord with an orb and warsythe and that will contain or kill your power weapon problem and your monolith or deep strikeing flayed ones will keep the squads in cc.

If they use a lot of small squads you may want to split your fire to drop the squads to about 25% then any shots at them will make them run for their lives.

If they use large squads your best bet is to tie as many of them up in cc while mass gauss fireing the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only little problem is that black templars don't run for there lifes, they after mine, if they have made 25% casulties, they run 1d6 woward the closest enemy.... not really handy don't you think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

All the more reason they need to die BEFORE they get to you.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u might want to post your list, so we could get a better idea of how you play.

Justin
    Wednesday nights at GW (Ontario Mills in Ontario, CA)
    W/L/T
    14/3/0

Latest Victims
    4-7-05 - SoB 1200, S&D Omega, Opponent was new.
    4-7-05 - ME! Chris beats me again with his space wolves (he is a good palyer without his eldar).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast