Tyranids in Take and Hold type missions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids in Take and Hold type missions?

I've played two games in a row now where the objective was either "be the closest to the objective at the end of the game" or "have the most models on the objective at the end of the game." That's fine and dandy for most races, but Tyranids are fragile! They're basically an entire army of shock troops -- they hit hard, they hit fast, and if they don't kill the enemy pretty quick they crumble. So how the heck are they going to hang around on an objective getting hailed on by an amused Marine player who's formed his marines into a nice semicircle around the objective like a firing squad?

Anybody have any good tactics for holding objectives like this?

--Ditchdigger

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually I just ignore the mission and tries to kill of as many models as I can... nids don't know how to 'hold' objectives... thy know kill

but if you want to play by the mission objectives try and place shootly fexes/tyrants there... it's the best I can come up with. It should be fairly hard to take out 2 shootly fexes that stands on a objective. As they can't focus all their firepower on your fexex since you'll probably engage them with tons of gaunts and such.

But for me I usually try and hunt down my opponents rather than hold objectives... it's more fun that way ;P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x3)

The whole point of all of the shock troops is to clear the way for the TMC's. If you can't hold with them then you aren't going to do well in other scenarios. The rediculous speed of gaunts, especially leaping and backed up by leaping warriors, means that you can get to combat as fast as you like, hold the enemy off, and let the Hive Tyrant and Carnifi stroll in and kill whats left behind directly around the objective. I've played plenty of 'capture this' missions in local store campaigns, and they don't trouble me any more than any other kind of mission. Every mission boils down to who can kill who the best, if you think about it.
    --Monsieur

"Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours"
    -Zen proverb
    Have you been touched?
    Pirate's Haven

USE TEH REP BUTTON

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best tactic for take and hold missions is like the others said, (2000 pts tho)

Charge in everything as normal - Gaunts, stealers, warriors etc.

Send my flying tyrant down one flank wint a good bit o' support.

Greater shooty fexes, maim any serious threat to thier existance before leaving cover and then walk to the center of the board/objective.

Just play as if your in a seek and destroy mission untill around turn 4. By now you should have one side of the enemys board in your excusive control.

If the opponant is rolling for reserves, hook the tyrant towards the middle and keep the opjective with 2 Fexes and tyrant. Any deep striking troops nearby will cop 8 VC shots and a warp blast then 3 monsterous creatures in assault. If there are no more threats to the objectibe in the form of bikes/ DS'ers then the tyrant is better in CC.

Use the remainder of your gaunts and stealers to form a screen of CC between the objective and the other army. With 8 to 12 wounds of T6, 2+ saves on the objective. the game will be yours.

My last two opponants in take and hold - (Death guard and Blood angels) both stated they could not win by turn 4 as I had removed most of there scoring units and parked two greater shooty fexes and 8 stealers on the objective.

HA.

+ Reply to Thread