Alitoch Sniper Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alitoch Sniper Army

Ok in the past i had two armies Alitoch (sp?) craft world and Blood Angels. I was losing games with both so i decided to focus on just one till I won with it. This has been achieved to some extent so I am going back to my alitoch.

I have right now
    22 rangers
    a box of guardians w/ three weapons platforms
    6 dire evengers w/ exarch
    8 banshees w/ exarch
    6 scorpions w/ exarch
    6 wraith guard w/ warlock
    6 dark reapers w/ exarch
    1 war walker w/ scatter and BL
    1 Falcon
    1 Fire Prism
    1 Vyper w/ BL
    1 Farseer on jet bike w/ 3 more jet bikes

At the time I guess i had too much money so I just bought any squad that sounded good. What are your guys thoughts on what should stay what should go? I am thinking that i need a wraith lord. I never used the wraith guard that much. The Fire Prism isnt as good a model any more IMO and I am thinking I will do something with it.

If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can farseers ride jetbikes?
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x3)

Increase the Scorps to a full unit, get (or convert) a wave serpent for the Banshees (assuming you use scorpions or Banshees, as opposed to your pathfinders, I'm not sure which would be better), put 2 of the same weapon on the War Walker, and generally ignore the Dire Avengers, Wraith guard, Fire Prism and jet bikes (though if you went through the trouble of converting a Farseer onto a jet bike, keep it and try it out). A wraith lord will probably help out, though if you don't have the money you can field 3 HS as it is.
    Everything I have told you, even this, is a lie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowcatX
    Increase the Scorps to a full unit, get (or convert) a wave serpent for the Banshees (assuming you use scorpions or Banshees, as opposed to your pathfinders, I'm not sure which would be better), put 2 of the same weapon on the War Walker, and generally ignore the Dire Avengers, Wraith guard, Fire Prism and jet bikes (though if you went through the trouble of converting a Farseer onto a jet bike, keep it and try it out). A wraith lord will probably help out, though if you don't have the money you can field 3 HS as it is.
    I think for the time being I will use a fire prism without the gun as a wave serpent. I was going to put the scorpions in the serpent with the exarch. I was also thinking would the scorpion's phoenix lord might be a good HQ. If I did that would I be able to put it in the falcon or would I need a wave serpent? I am thinking that i will scrap my farseer on bike since 1 it isnt painted 2 it isnt that good 3 the harlaquin mask I got for it I am thinking i will put on a wraithlord.
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rangers are your freind.

Wow a ranger force?! I have never feilded a true Alaitoc ranger army but I LOVE my rangers.

With 22 ranger models I'd go with two 8 strong ranger squads and one 5 strong path finder squad. This gives you 3 "other " choices. If your local game play area has a good supply of terrain make sure you try and get something Impassible on the board in a good firing position to put those pathfinders in so they can strut their stuff with relative immunity to assult and shooting.

What platforms do you have btw? If you are a smurf fighter you know starcannons and such, but I think a BIG 20 strong guardian squad with conceal marching up the board may help with your getting a good showing. Leave the platforms at home and relie on the War Walker and Reapers for the firepower. Maybe, if you can, get it another War Walker with twin starcannons or Bright lances. Swap out the Vyper's gun if you can. I never use the open topped Vypers as they are WAY to fragile for my tastes.

I would use both the Falcon and the Prism as Wave serpants. Pick up a few more scorpians and a couple of banshees and smack them into what ever is giving that block of guardians a hard time. Those three units working in concert should be able to out shoot and out fight most comers and the old one unit work over of rangers pin, guardians shoot, then assult with an aspect typicaly get you a wiped bad guy.

Farseer on a jet bike has potential as a bother some unit for the enemy, but I think it would be to tempting a target. Throw the Farseer in the guardian squad so he can fortune and guide them as they advance so you can really up their potential.

Oh and remember most of all, if your Rangers are threatened by CC run AWAY and fire those dinky pistols. Prefeably you run through difficult terrain and can out distance them with the rangers. You'd be amazed how often I forget that my rangers even have the pistols, but every once and awhile I have gotten more than a few enemies by a lucky shuriken round in the temple. The odds are better of that than winning a CC with rangers.

Just my ideas. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Ultwe gaurdian; April 22nd, 2005 at 04:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultwe gaurdian
    Wow a ranger force?! I have never feilded a true Alaitoc ranger army but I LOVE my rangers.

With 22 ranger models I'd go with two 8 strong ranger squads and one 5 strong path finder squad. This gives you 3 "other " choices.
    I really like the alaitoc list because you HAVE to take two ranger squads before anything else. You can then take an additional 6 squads of troops if you want. The pathfinders are elites though.

What platforms do you have btw? If you are a smurf fighter you know starcannons and such, but I think a BIG 20 strong guardian squad with conceal marching up the board may help with your getting a good showing. Leave the platforms at home and relie on the War Walker and Reapers for the firepower. Maybe, if you can, get it another War Walker with twin starcannons or Bright lances. Swap out the Vyper's gun if you can. I never use the open topped Vypers as they are WAY to fragile for my tastes.
    I have a scatter laser, missle launcher and a starcannon. I got them on ebay so I didnt really have a choice. I am going to play a couple of games first see where I am lacking and add platforms acordingly. I am also thinking that I might use a dire avengers squad instead of the guardians squad you talked about. I think that DA would be a better 20 member squad. I like the vyper for the same reason that i like land speeders. they move fast and claim objectives. They move 12 and can only be glanced. They are designed to drop tanks from far enough away that troops cant kill them. Yes if you want to waste all the shots from a falcon, predator, hammer head on killing one fine means a more valuable target lives.

I would use both the Falcon and the Prism as Wave serpants. Pick up a few more scorpians and a couple of banshees and smack them into what ever is giving that block of guardians a hard time. Those three units working in concert should be able to out shoot and out fight most comers and the old one unit work over of rangers pin, guardians shoot, then assult with an aspect typicaly get you a wiped bad guy.
    The thing I am wondering about is do I need all that mobile CC. Banshees in a wave serpent are epensive. Putting scorpions in a falcon means that the falcon flies around killin stuff and when the enemy gets to close you pop them out and fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know as ranger force that it would be tempting to use more rangers, but with the abundance of high leadership and psycology immune armies out there more static rangers kinda get wasted. Unless you are fighting IG or Orcs pinning just gets walked through. The regular rangers only saving grace to me is the AP 1 shots you get on those sixes while moving through difficult terrain to avoid CC, and being able to infaltrate at the start. I typicaly set my rangers up in a good fire arch take a shot and move. Take another shot move again. This is how real world snipers do it and it works just as well in 40k. In a six turn game the rangers get 3 or 4 shots. Great! As they are so expensive at 19 points a model I hate to lose them in CC when they can make a nuisence of themselves the whole game, and if it is a objective game they can always grab/contest an objective/quarter or two instead of shooting those last two turns.

Dire Avengers are okay for troops, but as you can only have 10 in a squad and no conceal with a warlock, expect casualties as any opponet will see them as just gun fodder. IMO the 20 Guardians I mentioned get so overlooked. Without a heavy platform, but the Farseer and warlock conceal/fortune combo they can take a licking, keep pressing forward at a great pace ( fleet of foot Rocks!), and 40 shuriken shots with guide wipes out units in one volley. Even terminators fail with that many rolls. As I play Ulthwe I do not have the option of alot of aspects so I have learned to love my guardians so I may be biased towards them. Nothing like seeing an opponents face when you get to re-roll those cover saves and keep half the squad around every time he shoots at them. As we can no longer use our vehicles as a screen I always like to keep a big squad around to be a target and soak up shots. Dire avengers get the re-roll on a better armor save but most weapons negate it anyway...

And the two CC units are what I would recomend to you. As you have plenty of anti-tank in War Walkers or Vypers and "Wave Serpants" if you use twin linked brightlances on one. And the big unit of guardians will get into CC at some point. You'll want good CC units with the numbers behind them to pull them out. Now that said, I am not saying smash the scorps and the banshees into any old melee the guardians get themselves into. Use the threat of it to make your opponent hesitate to charge the guardians to get their shots off. While the serpents make a big nuisance of themselves popping tanks and mowing down troops from twin-linked Starcannon shots.

Small units of CC work in Blood Angels because they are rock hard. Eldar on the other hand... even our CC aspects fold in CC if they do not have a good number behind them. A six model strong unit of scorpions is well... dead to anything. Even tactical squads can wipe them with ease, now that we lost the option to get out and charge. Four shooting casualties and bye bye scorps as they run off.

If you insist on the falcon, use a 6 strong Fire Dragon squad. They can get out and zap the baddies with melta death, and with an exarch with burning fist can do some CC damage to whatever is not a boiling puddle of goo. Although why you would even worry about CC on a Falcon is beyond me. If the enemy gets close fly off and around them ( or through tank shock can be fun). As a skimmer it cannot be hit in CC on anything but a six, and if it was moving fast the last turn, any CC hit is a glance anyway. ( btw I use a Falcon and a Wave serpent and if I feel nasty another Falcon or a Fire prism in my Ulthwe army in 1750 points. Falcons rule.) The wave serpants just seem more "fluffy" for an Alaitoc army, as a mobile gurilla force responding to a ranger's call to take action.

Lastly, as a former Smurf player, the land speeders you are used to are not open topped. So you may have never had the disgrace of a bolter pistol shooting down your speeder. :lol: The war Walkers may be just as fragile, but the two shots at least can get your points back if you play them smart. Before the BGB I always used an un-occupied transport to claim those objectives, but one Vyper to grab one is not a bad idea. Of coarse I always take out Vypers first just for that reason in objective Take and Holds and Quarters games. Not a hard thing to do either as they get a +1 on the glancing hits chart every time you get past the armor.

Just my two cents hope it helps. Have fun.

+ Reply to Thread