Heavy Support - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Support

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Support

I was recently looking at a discussion about the hammerhead and railguns, it got me thinking.

For my Heavy support choices I plan on having:

Hammerhead gunship with smart missiles and railgun
    Broadside team, one (maybe 2) with plasma rifles
    Hammerhead with ion cannon and missiles

Is the ion cannon worth getting? Is a team of 3 broadsides necessary? Know that I want some diversity in my army, and my most common opponents will be Eldar, Space Marines, Necrons, and Imperial Guard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ion is better against the smaller transports (rhinos, chimeras, and should be used for the wave serpant and falcon since that railgun is now str 8 against it..) but remember the railgun's sub munition rounds that good against all the troops that are not powered armored

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

While the Ion cannon would be good versus Necrons and any ther 3+ opponents, My advice is to simple make it so that you can switch between weapons in every game, make for great flexibilty, although I haven't the Ion Cannon yet....Damn IG!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

That seems too expensive to me anyway. I would just go a railhead and 2 broadsides and drop the other hammerhead or go two railheads and no broadsides.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike was talking about switching out between matches so I thought I'd link this article if anyone hasn't seen it yet(especially the topic starter).
    http://www.librarium-online.com/arti...howarticle=108

I love my little magnets.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play a lot of Tau armor and have never found smart missle system to be that useful. Sure the no line of sight thing is cool, but it really doesnt come up that often, its the same strength as the burst cannons, but with 2 less shots, normally your not going to be near enough to use them either. Hammerhead Rail guns are cool only against armies with very few 4+ saves, or lots of really mobile armor.

I use Ionheads very frequently, mostly because they have AP 3. I use them inconjunction with my pathfinders. I dont normally use them as anti-light tank, they can do it. I use ion heads in 40k in flash to save points.

Ionhead: Necrons(!), Anything with Power Armor, Eldar (sometimes).

Railhead: Nids, Guard, Dark Eldar, Eldar, Orks, other Tau

Most of the time I use 3 broadsides (or only 1 if I dont have the points), one with a shield gen, and two with target locks. I dont use plasma rifles or multitracker. I use them as turrets primarly. That works out pretty well. It can be a little risky, because if you lose one they have to take morale test and they can only move and shoot. But there more accurate and can produce a greater volume of fire power than the hammerhead. Normally I place my 'heads in cover first, let my opponet play his armor (if any) then, place my Broadsides accordingly.

Armor Tactics (for beginners)

Place your 'head behind cover during set up, since it can move 12" and shoot (if you are not useing multitrackers stop playing Tau), your just as efficient moving as you are sitting still. You can move far enough so it should not hurt you.

ALWAYS move more than six, its a Skimmer, your opponet can only get glancing hits.

Skimmers can pop up can shoot over terrain, for some reasons nobody remebers this. Be careful though, you will probably lose a 'head doing this

markerlights IGNORE(!!) cover saves. Now those pesky lictors/jungle fighters/rangers are dont get there nice little benefit. Plus Ion cannons hitting on a 2+ is a good thing.

Fish of Fury is fun, but in doesnt always kill everything. Use it as a clean up tactic, unless your sure. Try to get the nose of your fish about 6 inches away from the target, that way the enemy cannot charge next turn (unless they can move more than 12")
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'O Briguy
    I was recently looking at a discussion about the hammerhead and railguns, it got me thinking.

For my Heavy support choices I plan on having:

Hammerhead gunship with smart missiles and railgun
    Broadside team, one (maybe 2) with plasma rifles
    Hammerhead with ion cannon and missiles

Is the ion cannon worth getting? Is a team of 3 broadsides necessary? Know that I want some diversity in my army, and my most common opponents will be Eldar, Space Marines, Necrons, and Imperial Guard.
    Sounds like a very good heavy support section. (No krootox, you must be mad...) I would maybe give the ionhead burst cannons
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

"Skimmers can pop up can shoot over terrain, for some reasons nobody remebers this. Be careful though, you will probably lose a 'head doing this"

Where's it say that? I assume you mean ALL terain? I also assume it's like searchlights, in that it can be shot by anything in range the next turn?

"Fish of Fury is fun, but in doesnt always kill everything. Use it as a clean up tactic, unless your sure. Try to get the nose of your fish about 6 inches away from the target, that way the enemy cannot charge next turn (unless they can move more than 12")"
    If you do FoF and kill everything it's no longer a FoF.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psteve
    What do you mean?

And yes skimmers can "pop" up above the terrain and shoot at anything in range (being in area terrain still applies though). A searchlight is a good comparison, if to do this, everything may draw line of sight. Unfortunetly, I dont know where it is in the new rule book, dont own a copy.
    Who brings a Hammerhead to a 500 point fight?!
    -Local 'Nid Player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by psteve
    psteve is my new hero!

Badger, the Fish of Fury is a tactic that relies on using the Devilfish chassis to block assault to a unit of Firewarriors that just dismounted within rapid-fire range. If all you're doing is unloading your Firewarriors to rapid-fire and kill of the last few stragglers and don't care about being assaulted (because there won't be anyone left) then you're executing a Rapid-Fire Firewarrior Drop, not a Fish of Fury.

Every time your Firewarriors jump out of their transport, it's not automatically a FoF. It's really a nit-picky bit of semantics (and a pet peeve of mine), but it's only a FoF if you're actually using the Devilfish Chassis to block return assaults.
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast