Need help with paint scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help with paint scheme

Hey all, Im a new Tau player (just bought codex and i like what i see) I switched over from necrons to them (werent my type) I like armies that can sit back and blast away all day!

However i am having trouble finding a colour scheme that i like The one in the codex upsets me greatly) If it woundnt be too much trouble could u guys either describe a neat colour scheme you saw or post a pic, id like some inspiration!

Cheers

Power corrupts... Absolute Power is kinda neat though...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.

Now that would be and amazing Tau army.

-Invic
    Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFacelessOne
    I like armies that can sit back and blast away all day!
    You might not be as impressed with your Tau in this role as you might expect. Perhaps consider all-infantry Imperial Guard?

In 4th edition, Tau really need to take advantage of their mobility options to be effective. Yes they're a shooty army, but they don't have the cheap cost (IG) or durability (Marines) to sit still and shoot. Tau in 4th edition are all about mobility.

For a more detailed description of this idea, check out this. If you like what you see, feel free to investigate some of the links in my signature. Good luck and welcome to the Greater Good!

In any case, here's some photos of my Tau.

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone on these forums linked me to this about half a year ago. It's not perfect, but it's helpful.
    http://www.sabbers.cx/colour/

Personally, I've been tooling with either Red/Black on the Fire Warriors and XV-8s, and Black/Red on the Gun Drones and XV-15s. Yes yes, I know, "Oooh, look at the Blood Angel wanna-be Tau". I've heard it already.

It's either that or an urban camo theme. White, Powder Blue, Dark Grey, Black, and what-not. Like the second one on top here.

I'm colorblind though, so it makes thing tough.
    Last edited by The Celestial; April 26th, 2005 at 06:03.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

do something different. I have silver and black as main colors and each type of FoS has is own color.

Pics of my color sceme can be found here:
    http://miketehfox.deviantart.com/

Be creative!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Nah I wouldn't risk it. Have you seen the aqua teal guys? Very wrong. I'll give the guy lots of credit, but in my opinion the codex colour and the black/white colour are the only two that work. So, try the black/white colour scheme.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would just experiment...

There was an article in white dwarf a few months ago about painting marines, could you adapt some of those ideas? I dont like camoflauge on fw, it doesnt look mass produced enough, if you see what i mean...
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, in case anyone was wondering, I meant using the color-sceme of the camo. Not actually paint the models camo. Althought I have seem some good H-Heads with the black/white/grey camo.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno whether you checked the "showcase" in the codex on page 48, or just the "color schemes" page on 44... Personally I'm using Keith Robertson's scheme from the showcase, the red and orange. Of course, since it's the first army I'm ever painting, I'm floundering along... anyway, I found an old article by Keith describing how to paint the scheme, if you're interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Personally, I find the best thing to paint Tau with is ink. It makes it esspecially easy to paint FireWarrior armor and get dark lines in the cracks of the armor.

I have begun the daunting task of re-painting my Tau (too many blue/green Tau armies where I am, plus, I never really was a fan of my FireWarrior scheme (though it looked boss). They are FireWarriors. I want them to display a bright heat color).

The new scheme uses three colors of ink. I use sky blue ink on the 'undersuit areas' and then yellow ink on the armor, which I then go over in red ink. It makes the armor red, with a hint of yellow on the raised edges, while still making all the cracks darker than the rest of the model. Then I finish up with some black for areas on the rifle, the grenades and Tau symbol, paint up the helmet lenses green and do the base, and call it a day. Usually takes about 2 hours to do 6-8 FireWarriors, due to how long it takes ink to dry.

Keep in mind that when using ink, you have to base the model with a white basecoat, since ink won't show up on black.

My old FireWarriors were a bit easier. Ink the armored areas in green ink, then ink the rest of the entire model with sky blue ink. You'd be amazed at how good it looks with such little effort. Raised edges are instantly highlighted, and cracks in armor all have darker appearances. Then again, finish up with chaos black on the detail, and make the lenses red and finish the base.

You get a very effective model this way without the time or hassle of painting around all those lines in the armor.

I'd post pics of my guys, but I don't have a website to put them on. If you want to see them, PM or email me, and I'll show em off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast