Ethereals, I dont get em. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ethereals, I dont get em.

Just a question from a new tau player.

Whats th epoint of ethreals, i mean , i know what they are and what they do, i just dont see their, well, goodness. i probably just missing a peace of the puzzle. If any of you could fill it in for me?

Power corrupts... Absolute Power is kinda neat though...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tau are the lowest leadership army in the game. For 50 points, you get a huge morale boost for your entire army. What are you missing?
    Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
    Tau are the lowest leadership army in the game. For 50 points, you get a huge morale boost for your entire army. What are you missing?

K i appreciate the hlep thx, I used to play necrons so Ld was NEVER an issue for me gonna have to get used to the low Ld then
    Power corrupts... Absolute Power is kinda neat though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently wrote an article entitled Mitigating Morale Mishaps. Once you've had a few reads through your Codex and understand some of the army options, perhaps give it a read.

Mitigating Morale Mishaps

Mechanized Tau Tactica - A forum for the discussion of tactics relavant to Mech Tau armies.

The Guide to Mech Tau - An in-depth study of the strategies for running a Mech Tau army.

Game Geeks - A weekly video game talk show that I co-host. If you like video games, give it a listen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

I think the first 5 games I played with the guy he died, and then lots of my units proceeded to run off the board. So I would say he is not easy to use. But now, he's the character to kill at my campaign, simply because the necron lord dies more often than my ethereal. Once you learn how to use him, he's very useful, simply for those increased chances of passing moral tonka has provided us with.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am bad at rolling leader ship, my units always run, lol which is why i stray away from eths. one of my friends uses one some times, and something that works well for him is he bonds all fo his teams (well who dosent, lol i sure do) but he will hide is eth, and like if he get into close combat and passes his leadership test hell reroll it to try to fail, he can at least try to have a chance of regrouping and then get a chance to shoot on his next turn. i mean its not the best tactic, but tau are pretty much dead anyway in CC mine as well have a chance to get soem more shots in, i mean you can shoot while falling back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have only just started using an ethereal, and i would recommend Aun'shi to start off, mainly because he is slightly harder to kill, and attach him to a fw squad. Then if you get assauted you will have a fighting chance.
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skip Aun'Shi in my opinion, just gives more chances for your ethereal to die. Just stick him in a safe place in the back of the board, dont let him get targeted and enjoy the wonderful leadership bonus. I will say that Ethereals are more useful in static tau than mech, because of the greater number of fire warriors in static, but they can certainly have use in larger mech armies. Also, Ethereals are great for just filling up that mandatory HQ choice at 50 points, freeing more to spend on important stuff.
    "I love this job more than I love taffy, and I'm a man who loves his taffy."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O Shi Ukos
    Skip Aun'Shi in my opinion, just gives more chances for your ethereal to die. Just stick him in a safe place in the back of the board, dont let him get targeted and enjoy the wonderful leadership bonus. I will say that Ethereals are more useful in static tau than mech, because of the greater number of fire warriors in static, but they can certainly have use in larger mech armies. Also, Ethereals are great for just filling up that mandatory HQ choice at 50 points, freeing more to spend on important stuff.
    Fair point, but freeing up that HQ slot? I love my Shas'o with his hideous amounts of AP 2 shots that murder Marine command squad!!! Ha ha ha!!! Anyway i will have to try and use an unmodded ethereal. Is that what you are suggesting? (I play a kind of static mech tau with big guns)
    The avatar is the emperor as a pimp. Well, i like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Ok the ethereals are some of the nicest tau units but what you should do if you field them just for the leadership bonus is give them the drone controller and maybe even attach them to a full squad of drones. This makes it so you have to kill 10 guys before you can wound the ethereal. Then if you want you can charge into cc if you purchase the honor blade but not against things that can allocate attacks and definately not against cc units.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast