New Codex Thoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

New Codex Thoughts

Saw the codex and wish I had more time to really memorize things. It is easy to really load up on points. I think a maxed out Carnifex with dual venom cannons would cost something like 280 points. Yikes!

HIVE TYRANT
    No bonus to toughness or wounds. Gosh darn it! The good news is that I can get an invulnerable save (not good odds on it, but something is anything). The bad news is that both warp field and extended carapace are more expensive. The lash whip and bone sword combo is really worth it in my opinion. I am going to modify my present flying Tyrants to add the bone sword. I missed the rule about only having a single flying Tyrant, but did not have time to take in the whole codex.

Also, I think someone said that only Tyrants could take lash whips. That is not correct. Tyrant Guard and Tyranid Warriors also had the option. I do not remember any others. I do not remember any other type being able to take the bone sword though, so maybe that is what they meant.

SPINEGAUNTS
    Looks like these (at least 1 of my 2 broods) will cost me more, because I am definitely taking them “without number.? It will cut down on the number I can buy, but those broods often get savaged. I always have them rushing the enemy, to get H2H started and stop the shooting which is tearing me apart.

HORMAGAUNTS
    With the improvements to Genestealers, I will probably take them exactly as they appear in the codex. The extra point of WS is a nice bonus. I might take them with a strength upgrade when fighting Marines. I have to look more closely at the cost and benefit.

GENESTEALERS
    I never used them in 3rd. They were too slow and were fodder for bolters. Well, the Games Workshop team made sure I am going to have at least 2 broods now, probably 3. If I remember right, they will cost me about 21 points each with the upgrades I want. However, I know my opponents are going to hate having a bunch of Genestealers that can move up to 24? on the first turn (including the scuttling, which makes them scouts). And, not to forget, Genestealers that get a save against bolter fire.

WARRIORS
    These took some hits (restrictions on extended carapace and leaping no longer makes them beasts), but the new synapse bonus that they cannot be insta-killed by lascannons or power fists is really nice. I have a tradeoff with my winged broods, that they lose their save against bolters (no extended carapace for flyers), but can now land in cover and only have a 1 in 6 chance of taking a wound. That gives me a cover save, which is really nice. Bioplasma is also cheaper for them now (cost halved). I might take it for them.

LICTORS
    Probably going to take one of these guys, even if it is just to get that one reroll a turn for my reserves. I always play scenarios and getting good reserve rolls can be a matter of life and death if playing a scenario that uses the reserves rule.

RAVENERS
    I am going to give them a try, but they would be replacing winged warriors. Losing the synapse creatures is probably not going to be worth it.

CARNIFEX
    Actually, I really like this new model. My only complaint is that, despite creating a new monstrous weapons sprue, they did not give us a venom cannon for the left arm. So, I still have to do a conversion (which I already made my test piece) for a dual venom cannon Carnifex.

I love Carnis with two venom cannons (which are not twin linked, they count as both bio-weapons and give you the ability to fire four shots total). I think that, to keep the points under control, my fire support Carnifexes will not get all the H2H upgrades. If they do not melee the enemy, there is no need for them. So I can save by not buying upgrades to S, I, WS, tail upgrades, carapace upgrades, etc. For them I would probably buy the regeneration and the extra wound. I will probably not take the extra toughness, because my opponents are firing either lascannons or railguns at my big creatures. An extra point of toughness does not do anything in that scenario. Oh, and venom cannons cost less than they used to for the Carni.

The crushing claws are a disappointment for me. They are pretty darn expensive. Consider this, a Carni has two attacks in its basic profile. Crushing claws replace those two with 1D6. A H2H Carnifex with crushing claws and one set of scything talons will have 2-7 attacks, averaging 4. However, if I give him two pairs of scything talons he will always get 4 (for certain) and it is much less expensive. I’m just worried about having a bad roll on one or two turns and only getting two attacks for all the points I spent on him.

You always have to be worried about a H2H tooled Carnifex. He is really slow. I stopped using them for H2H some time ago, because they only made it into melee at the very end of the game. I was not getting my points back. Still, I think I am going to create a single H2H Carnifex, just for fun. I do not know how much play he will get.

Oh, and I found nothing in the codex about the regeneration allowing a dead Carnifex to get back up. They must still be standing, with one wound, to try and regenerate.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bleh, crushing claws don't sound useful. Unless . . . Is a 'fex limited to one pair?

thank you and good night

Senior Member Hive Fleet Scorpii's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes... I saw the codex(and read it) at my local gaming store. If you know you will be fighting a Nightbringer than a fully tooled up CC carnifex might actualy be able to hold its own. Being blasted by a Toxin Mine, 6S10 attacks on the charge, 5 Wounds and having some of them regenerate would be nasty. Having that coming at you might even worry a C'tan.
    In Hive We Trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THE CODEX IS OUT!?!?!?!? WHY IS IT NOT AT MY GW!?!?!?!? WHERE IS IT!!?!??!?!?!!? MUST... FIND... CODEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but I didn't know that the codex is out. Sounds pretty cool to me. 'Nids are gonna own.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> They will shoot you and cut you up and step on the pieces and burn them and assemble the ashes and shoot them again and grind them into sand and scatter the sand into the sea and boil the sea away and gather the hardened remains and melt them into a rock and shoot the rock and burn what&#39;s left and launch the remains into the sun and...
    </div>
    **or**
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>The most powerful gun in the galaxy won&#39;t help if your opponent if bashing your brains out with a rock</div>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it has actually been released yet -- some people have just gotten "sneak peeks."
    Sithlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

Stores are starting to get their promotional copies, so people are starting to get a chance to really look at the codex.

Unfortunately, you can only take one set of crushing claws. Now that would be interesting, 2D6 attacks. I don't know, I think they should have made the crushing claws 1D6+1 attacks for the points cost. The real bad thing is that I like the look of a Carnifex with crushing claws and scything talons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suddenly feel oddly scared...

I must prepare to fight such new 'nids before the codex comes out.. the very thought of those Genestealers scare the living bee-jevers out of me..and ( ironicly) I play Ultramarines....

Cheers!
    The Roboticist
    Medusa IV is coming , are YOU ready to fight to the death for the Emperor?

"No Matter. Our plan is sound, and the Codex guides us in all things. We will fight them with courage and honour , and we will prevail." -Brother Lucernus , 2nd Company Ultramarines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good info there and food for thought, i geting my codex this week with my box set so will be able to have a look at these new changes. I'm also playing a game on Sunday with the new rules and its against SM so we will see how well the nids do :cool:
    If it lives it will be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Good work Badmovies.org

But can you take a closer look at the rules for equipping a carnifex with dual VC or BS as i hear a lot contradicting rues wether they become twin-linked or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see they haven't mess to much with the hormmies as i'm converting the old metal figures so they just have a set of ST, got them here at work with me now
    If it lives it will be consumed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast