1000 points. Upgrades or Models? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points. Upgrades or Models?

HQ:
    Shas'o- Twin FB, MP, HW-MT

Elite:
    2x Fireknife Crisis

Troops:
    6 FW bonded
    6 FW bonded, teamleader, markerlight
    12 Kroot

Heavy:
    Hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, multi, targetlock, decoy, seeker

It is 681 pts right now. Im thinking of getting-
    Devilfish
    12 FW
    2 Crisis'

My army uses many upgrades. Do you guys think it is better to have more models with less upgrades or more upgrades and less models? What do you guys do? Im really unsure what to do looking at the GW website sample armies. Please give any suggestions you have. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe drop the 'o to an el' to save some points and Tling the fusion blaster y not just go fireknife on him also. Maybe you shoudl amp up the fw squads of at least 10 each and another monat crisis with w/e you want. I would definately go models instead of upgrades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ill drop to an El but I dont know about the FBs. I needa good tank and multiple wound killer. Another question- Should I get the 50 dollar Dfish and 8 FWs? Or should I get a Fish and 12 FWs? Are squads of 10 or 12 more effective?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Just beaf on the FW sqauds, with only 6 persqaud nd no ethereal they are will run after taking only 2 or 3 casualties, more troops and perhaps an ethereal are good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know. Im planning to BUY more FWs. 12 more FWs wont fill up 1000 points though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downgrade to 'el. Lose the Fusion Blasters....well.....that depends who you are playing. 1000 points means you won't be playing against that much armour, so you 'head should be enough to clean the board of what ails ya. That and have enough plasma rifles out there and just pummel the armour til you roll sixes. That's what I do...it's very luck-based, but I can usually at least glance with those or the pulse rifles.

Lose the SMS on the 'head. You only have one markerlight out there and it's not worth the points. Destroy the armour with the 'head on the first few turns then bring it in and open up with 6 burst cannon shots.

More FW warriors. But you already know that.

Where are the Gun Drones? God those little guys rock. I at least bring one squad of them.

Hmm, XV-15s would be nice too depending on what you are facing. By the sounds of it, you are on a budget, and they are some of the best points-to-dollar ratio in the Tau army. 30 bucks for minimum 160 points and 18 S5 shots.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends on what you want. If you want a small elite army then upgrade your current troopers. Or if you want a great big horde of an army then buy more little guys. Also depends on what armies you usually fight. If you fight Space Marines alot then an elite army may be advantageous. Or if you fight armies like Orks, 'Nids or Guard alot then having more guns would be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Ah great. I get to advertise my general 1000p tau list. This is of course if you don't know who you are fighting.

1 ethereal, 0-1 shas'el, 1-2 crisis suits, 4-6 stealth suits, 20-36 fire warriors, 0-20 kroot, 0-1 squads of 8 gun drones, 1 railhead.

You have bought the battleforce, and a hammerhead. Perfect start. Next I would buy 12 fire warriors, then 4 stealth suits. I would only get a devilfish next if you were fairly committed to mech tau.

Of course, to address the question at hand, you must start out with upgrades just to reach your points limit, but as you purchase more, it is better to reduce to using minimum upgrades.

The army I would use from your models would be a Shas'O with the helios formation (plasma fusion multi) a fireknife crisis, and a burstknife crisis (plasma burst multi). But I wouldn't be gluing the crisis like that just because that's not how I'd keep them, especially after you purchase stealth suits.

Haha, how about this: 12 fw w 'ui and bonding, 12 kroot w shaper & sv, and railhead with burst + works. That's 666p .

If you need more you can use a gun drone squadron. (You get 2 with a hh don't you?)
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. So far this is what im thinking I will do-
    HQ-
    Shas'el: Fireknife

Elite-
    3x Fireknife Crisis

Troops-
    12 FW
    12 FW
    12 Kroot
    1 Devilfish

Heavy-
    Railhead: burst cannons, multi, decoy

All this adds up to about 855 points. Wow thats a lot different. With my extra points I think im going to get a Stealth squad?

Question about Hammerhead- Why is Bcannon better than the SMS? SMS has more range. The only thing better about Bcannons its that they are assault weapons and you have 2 more shots right?
    Also a quick noob question- Hammerhead can have either solidshot or submunition railgun right?

Thanks guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

The Hammerhead can have both, as for the ioncannon, it's stil a heavy weapon but that doesn't matter since it's mounted on a vehicle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast