Pariahs and their significance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Pariahs and their significance

I'm at a crossroads. A couple days ago after re-starting one of my back burner armies(Necrons) I found my olde ideals, faulty after just a couple test games. My main dilemma was and is my once precious Pariahs, they all of a sudden suck! It seems to me that, Immortals can do the same job better and for less points. One test game my Pariahs were blown to kibble before they could even reach gauss blaster range! let alone assault range.And in another scenario they got into close combat (wich is supposedly what they do best) with some black templars basic troops and a seven pariah squad was reduced to a mere two in just 3 turns.(with average luck on both parts!)For 36 points a 1 attack 3 initiative 3+ save necron with no "We'll be back" rule just doesn't seem worth it.

I would greatly appreciate some friendly advice on how to use theese elites.

" Are you gonna bark all day little doggy,
    or are you gonna bite? "

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Ask in the necrons section, your are in the general discussion right now.

Well you have to learn to properly use them I guess not just send them by themselves to combar, support them with warriors, scarabs and wraiths, the more the better.

can a Mod move this please?
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also think that pariahs suck; the warscythes are only really useful against characters or things with stupid saves like terminators. both will mow them down before they get anywhere near CC. also, being non-necron, they cannot be whisked away with VoD. also, they can't exactly cut through things with only one attack each. as i said before, i think they suck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that Pariahs are overrated, sure they are armed with warscythe/gauss blaster, and are T5 with 3+, but the fact that they cannot roll for WBB makes them weak, and in my experience get shot to peices. so im sticking with Immortals - much more devastating.

heretical thoughts? ShadowZora13's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    231 (x4)

Yep, thats how alot of people look at it. Always kinda funny to look at us necron players disscussions from others perspective... complaining about a T5 3+ save model not being able to get back up after wards... pleanty of armies would kill for either T5 units of 3+ save units...lmao

"...lest we perish without ever recognizing our peril"
    -Inquisitor Hoth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[that goes for you as well...]
    Last edited by CryoGenFX; May 13th, 2005 at 08:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prettyflywhiteguy
    the battlecannon is my shepherd, I shall not want
    What the hell are you talking about lol?
    Anyway as for Pariahs i think that they are pretty weak.Because they probobly wont even make it into combat and if they do then then they are pretty decent but like said before there lack of attacks makes it hard to kill alot at a time.So if they make it into combat into say a command squad then they might cause a few wounds and take out some 'abultive' marines then get mauled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you should only use those elites for hunting special characters with hella good saves or tanks
    besides that your better off having immortals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tunisia
    i also think that pariahs suck; the warscythes are only really useful against characters or things with stupid saves like terminators. both will mow them down before they get anywhere near CC. also, being non-necron, they cannot be whisked away with VoD. also, they can't exactly cut through things with only one attack each. as i said before, i think they suck.
    Personally I'm of the opinion that pariahs are overly expensive, but only when you take the whole of the necron list into account. Simply put, when you take the fact that the primary necron strength is our hardiness then pariahs are extremely weak in that regard! Especially when taking their cost into account! Sure they've got toughness 5, but when you take into account that a simple Necron warrior can get up from (almost) any attack as many times as you can roll a 4, 5, or 6 on a d6, the pariah just doesn't cut it. Not for the points.

So far as effectiveness goes, pariahs can be extremely effective. You've just got to keep them as far away as you can from "elite close combat troops" like Khorn berserkers, wraithlords, or geanestealers. Ever seen 8 surviving pariahs assault a 10-marine tac squad? It's not pretty...

The major problem with pariahs, is that they're well pointed for what they DO do, only, it's rarely useful enough to justify the point cost. On top of that, there are units in the necron list, that are FAR more effective for the cost, and earn back their points in the exact same way. I used to run pariahs untill I discovered how effective the Wraith/Scarab/Destroyer Lord combo was. They do basicly the same thing, for less points, better.

So far as fluff goes, pariahs are IT. They're the next step to harvesting the universe and destroying chaos. Unfortunately, so far as the necron list goes, they're extremely IN-significant, and extremely IN-sufficient when compared to a similar pointage of necrons.
    Wake. Rise. Destroy. Conquer.
    We have done so once. We will do so again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Could try backing them up with Flayed Ones. They're cheaper fodder (that get WB and their Terrifying Visage works great if the opponent's leadership is reduced to 7 by the Pariahs.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast