So why do we have such a dismal strategy rating? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So why do we have such a dismal strategy rating?

In the codex there are several lines about how we painstakingly detail battle plans beforehand and run many simulations. We then withdraw when we reach the end of the plan, in order to plan further.

Commanders study Mont'ka and Kau'yon strategems exhaustively.

There is almost no loss of command structure, unless somebody kills an ethereal.

All this, just to have a lesser strategy rating than Dark Eldar, depraved space pirates only interested in sensory stimulus? We are on a level with the inexorable, predictable advance of the careless tyranids, and the savage Orks whose warbosses struggle to keep their forces united in a purpose. What gives?

Not like it's important, really... but it's a point of honor. :cool:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know I thought exactly the same when I read that in the codex.

All that background about how Tau painstakingly plan every battle to their minutest detail then to be stabbed in the back with a **** strategy rating. :mad: This angers one muchly!

Shas'o Sa'cea Mont'yr Tolka Ket'ra - Commander Warhawk
    Commander of the 115th Expeditionary Force of Sa'cea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or do tau players whine alot? like for instance the mile long discussion that suits shold have bs 4 etc, etc, can't you guys be happy that you have the cheesiest tank, the strongest normal weapon and devilfishes (omg they are so much better than chimeras!), (fish of fury counted)

personally I think Tau should have the strategy rating they have, because their ships can't warp travel. When the tau empire grows there will be difficulties reacting to sudden aggressions in the far side of the empire, thus pretty low strategy rating.
    Last edited by Guardsman 173rd; May 12th, 2005 at 20:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daviszko
    Guardsman 173rd, those are incredible - you've impressed me and my friend who I linked it to. Nice work!!
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxjyl1j1r4s
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihxveyxdfp4
    http://artpad.art.com/?ihz6s11k5ao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously, you haven't read the following article on the Tau battle fleet:

Tau BFG Rules

We are not whiners, we Tau players simply like to seek the reasons for what has laid before us.

Shas'o Sa'cea Mont'yr Tolka Ket'ra - Commander Warhawk
    Commander of the 115th Expeditionary Force of Sa'cea

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Is it just me or do other people whine too much about others whinning which is not there business???

Personally I think it should be at least 2 and I hope they change it in the new codex we'll get eventually!

Mike

In a cave underneath the great mountains gaurding a treassure you'll never find
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Guardsman 173rd
    Is it just me or do tau players whine alot? like for instance the mile long discussion that suits shold have bs 4 etc, etc, can't you guys be happy that you have the cheesiest tank, the strongest normal weapon and devilfishes (omg they are so much better than chimeras!), (fish of fury counted)

personally I think Tau should have the strategy rating they have, because their ships can't warp travel. When the tau empire grows there will be difficulties reacting to sudden aggressions in the far side of the empire, thus pretty low strategy rating.
    If you want to see someone whining try reading at the eldars they are whining about everything.

And Tau CAN warp travel, in matter of fact better then everyone else becouse we are immune to the warp, probably becouse we have no psykers

I must agree with you, we have no reason to whine, becouse we have the strongest weapons, the cheapest tank and the devilfish, but then again we have no psykers and our HQ only have two choices... being a XV8 or an Etheral. IMO we need some other HQs... like a stealhsuit maybe, it could be a fun HQ.

I think that Tau should have a strategy rating like SM or IG becouse the are doing exactly the same thing and both are well trained in the art of war and strategy IMO
    Dragons do flame.... but only when they are upset or they want to

According to new signature rules my hydra (the only reason for it to be here was to please Caluin) have been removed. But still dragons pwnz hydras anytime

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh... well, I would not expect a guardsman to be appreciative of trying to improve... after all, the Gue'la empire is on the wane and you humans are taught to accept what you have.

It is an interesting comment about the lack of warp technology. It is true, our frontiers are not fully accessible to the full strength of our Shas caste. However, there is a procedure for everything. Such is the magnitude of our planning. You have witnessed it in the Damocles crusade, as we intercepted your transmissions. We engaged you at a time of our choosing, in the space around the system, with our available ships. While this occurred we evacuated all essential personnel and withdrew to more defensible perimeters.

The Tau never, never, engage in unfavorable circumstances. THIS LO article on Strategy, Tactics, and Subtactics shows that this is the very essence of strategy. It just doesn't fit with what we've been told.
    Last edited by DireStrike; May 12th, 2005 at 22:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x5)

I say again (see http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=36278 (Whats this i hear?) or http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...819#post361819 and read my posts.), why is it that the armies with the two newest codexes are always the ones looking forward to their rules update/new codexs?

The Orks and the Eldar are far more pressing, they have been playing with a codex from the very begginning of third edition. Thats not bringing up other projects in the works like Alienhunters, Dark Eldar, possibly Harlequins. It's pointless to look forward to the new codex or new rules, its going to be nearer fifth edition. Before you accuse me of complaining/accusing about Tau whiners etc...I play 2 armies, one of them is Tau.

On the issue, although the agreedly the strategy rating of one is strangely low, the point has been made about the Tau having inferior warp navigation capabilities, and I would have to say this is valid. The codex does that say without the navigator gene Tau are limited to short range jumps only between relatively small distances. Even the link posted to BFG supports this, e.g. from the very link given;

"Achieving transition to the Warp required more than technology, it required psychically attuned minds and the Tau race boasted no psykers."

It also details problems with Tau command and control networks;

"Urgent messages could now be transmitted by relays of Messengers each diving in turn and passing its data to the next vessel in the chain. The method was still clumsy and co-ordinating separate fleet formations remains a Kor’vattra weakness necessitating extremely rigorous planning"

This does expose the relative inferiority of Tau techniques due to their lack of Warp Ability. The article does state several times that Tau ships are comparable to Imperials in their size, maneuverability, weapons etc. It is merely their navigation and communication abilities which are inferior, which are arguably linked to strategy rating.

Myself I do believe that Tau should be strategy rating two, but we must simply face Tau being strategy rating one for many years to come.
    Last edited by Addoran; May 12th, 2005 at 23:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last time we had this discussion I think it came down to the relative age of the Ta'u Empire as a whole and the age of the Shas caste in comparision to Eldar, Smurfs, and Chaos.

Record as of 26 December for my Static Tau Cadre.
    10 wins, 0 losses, and 1 draw.
    Last game: Victory over Necron in a 600 point "kill em all" that lasted til turn 10 ending with a phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now I must agree with MiketehFox... people "whine" about others "whining". Pointless. I never asked for a fix or an update. I'm simply trying to understand this.

The low BS issues I can also see. Tau probably should have higher BS. That doesn't mean it would be balanced. It is quite possible, almost inevitable, that more changes than that would be needed to make them balanced again, if such a change was made. I would welcome changes. I'm not asking for a super army, just one that makes sense. Don't tell us Tau excel at ranged combat and then have them waving their guns around like girlscouts while they fire. Dont tell us they excel at strategy and then dump the lowest possible strategy rating on us.

And now, unless people want to argue more along those lines, we can return to fluff and rationalization, which I thought was clearly the topic of the thread.

I don't play BFG so I don't know about how Tau do in that regard. Addoran brings up some strong points as to why they would be weaker in strategy than the Codex seems to suggest.
    Last edited by DireStrike; May 12th, 2005 at 22:42.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast