Swooping Hawk Tactica - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swooping Hawk Tactica

I need help with swooping hawks. I know about the whole suicide drop with the tooled up exarch, but i don't like that; its just not fluffy. Also I really like the models. i was wondering if anyone has had any success with them. Not just like "oh yeah my swooping hawks killed a few guard squads this one game". I would like advice from people who use them regularly and do well with them. Or people who are experienced enough to know how to use them. If you have had success without suicide dropping the hawks please tell me how you use them.

i would appreciate any help. Thanks

When you combine Speed and Power you get Lightning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The Love Muffin [Black] Katalyst's Avatar
    I'm startin' the chainsaw and runnin' down the line!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x5)

swooping hawks are great.

they are awsome for harassing flanks and mobile enough to stay away from most land based threats.

best of all is that they always deepstrike no matter what mission

and

their grenade packs are effective, the large template will hit most of any unit, anywhere on the table.

i like using them against other eldar, droping the grenade packs on large defener squads.

their abilities mostly define their tactics, jump troops, always deepstrike assult 2 weapons, very good range, nice exarch, etc etc.

the only down side is, is that they are primarily anti light troops, so against SM's your gonna have trouble, but thats why you tool up your exarch a bit.
    Last edited by [Black] Katalyst; May 24th, 2005 at 16:21.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    Dear god.... that is a bit scary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Not only does he have a mighty beard, but he also mentioned nakidity in his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

BK, please edit out the stats for the grenade pack.

As far as the advice, I agree somewhat. I find them to be too costly myself, but have found the grenade pack to be great vs tau. Guns are great vs nids and with your move, you should be able to stay away if you play it right.

Just watch that they don't get stuck into cc against anything tougher than a basic guardian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against tau, IG, eldar, orks, and DE they can be really effective. If you want to, you can have 30 hawks in a vanilla list, thats 3 units of ten, with three ordnance blasts. Or, in a Biel Tan list you can have a hawk army if you want, imagine 60 hawks, 6 units of 8 and one of 12, thats 7 ordnance blasts-imagine that against tau, IG, and orks!

For a vanilla list for example against Tau/IG/Orks/Eldar, in a 2k list you can still have 60-70+ guardians as well as 30 hawks plus heavy support. Just don't take other elites, and it will be enough for sure to crush mass armies.

Make sure you deepstrike somewhat far from LOS to enemies, preferrably behind cover. If you have 2-3 squads, take at least 2 exarchs and get sus. assault with WOS. They can move 18" effectivley to assault those tau FW, stealth, and battlesuits whom they will crush with a pimped exarch, as well as crush IG, and some orc squads with lower initiative. If you have 4-6 squads take 3-4 exarchs and combo unit assault against tougher CC squads in orks or even SM.
    Tau Hunter Cadre, Eldar Saim Hann, Eldar Ranger, Kroot Mercs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had good success with my Hawks, when I use them, by using the grenade template on large clumps of enemy troops (maximise those kills...) and then deep striking them on my side of the table, preferably behind cover, and always 13" from any board edge, even if it means they may be exposed to enemy fire. No sense in risking throwing away their total points without firing a shot (not counting the grenades of course).

Once they have arrived, I like to use their superior speed to advance them up the board and only expose them to their targets (which should be targetted by a couple other eldar units as well to make sure they die in one round). Their long range (remember they are carrying assault weapons) and speed can help alot to keep them alive and they should be able to hurl themselves into the enemies at about the same time as your other CC units (scorps/banshees) to support them as well.

All that having been said, Thrynexx is right in that they are great vs some armies, but I wouldn't take them vs marines/necroids/sisters/chaos since they would be hvy bolter fodder and just don't have the punch to get the job done for their points cost. True the exarch can power weapon right thru their armor, but he actually has to get there first and odds are the survivors will gladly beat down more hawks than you can afford to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how many do you use? do you use a squad of 5 with a tooled exarch or do you use more? a squad of 10 with a good exarch can be around 250 points. and thats a lot for 10 guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are not that effective unless in a small squad, In my experience. They are too expensive for what they do, but the Exarch is quite powerful in equipped correctly. There currently role in 4th edition is to be an Exarch delivery system. If you want a big unit of these guys be prepared to NOT get your points back. I'd rather use Dire Avengers then a 250 unit of Hawks.

Patiently awaiting a new Eldar Codex... ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a Tyranid army not too long ago and my hawks just wrecked every gaunt brood they shot at then when they where wittled down I charged and the exarch did the rest. My hawks really perform in crunch time against tyranids that is and a few other armies. But definitely shy away from tough, well armoured foes and you should be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help guys. alright so i should keep them out of sight exept for the unit i am shooting at. i should use small squads of 5-6 with tooled exarch. shoot up units then when almost destoyed assault them with the tooled exarch and finish the squad.

+ Reply to Thread