Welcome to Librarium Online!
I plan on making my battle wagon realy big. I know it doesnt efect it in game stats terms (other than LoS blocking) but I want it to be like a land boat with a deck area I can put a few models on to represent what force I have in it at the time and so it looks cool. I'm also thinking maybe wider than it is tall for the most part.
1) What weapons are the best for it?
2) Should I bother with a Red Paint Job?
3) I know if I load it with weapons I'll have to buy them in addtion to any base vehicals I use, which I dont want to spend much on, I have plently of building supplies around my house to buys the main parts from. What is the best base vehical for parts to pu on in your opinion?
4) Is it really worth all the work putting into it game mechanics wise, it will take alot of time and effort and although I want to make it I have also seen them die in battle battle quickly.
1) Depends what role it plays. My Battlewagon serves a strictly Anti-Tank/transport purpose and I use a Zappa and 2 Twin Rokkit Launcha's. Bad combination under 4th edition because the Rokkit Launcha's aren't classed as defensive weapons. My battlewagon's built though, so I can't bring myself to tear it apart.
A Battlewagon can also be a heavy fire base. Load it with Twin Big Shoota's, give it 5 Bolt-on Big Shoota's and stick a mob of shoota boyz with maxed Big Shoota's in it. If anything without a 3+ save survives a round of shooting from that, I'll be surprised
2) Depends on the role. If it's a transport, yes. If it's a fire base, definately not.
3) Build it from scratch. Plasticard + Imperial Tank Tracks + imagination = awesome battlewagon that others will be commenting on for years to come.
4) It's really the only tank that Orks get (Looted tanks aren't Orky enough :-p) and it's worth it just on that respect. Having said that, it is overpriced and will only do well in games of over 1000 points.
for a good base vehicle, check 1/35 scale models tanks from companies like Italeri, Trumpeter or Dragon
Shoota boyz? Screw that- a mob of 10 flash gitz, full BS and 5 BOBS and you get maximum efficiency from Big Shootas- everyone is firing one.Originally Posted by KingNic
Slow down a bit friend! Don't dismiss that 'little' problem of blocking LOS! :huh:Originally Posted by Osaria
Isn't there some maximum size definitions?
If not, there should be.
A Battle wagon should be able to provide cover for a number of units behind it, but there is a point where it just shouldn't be allowed.
I would have to cry foul on a battlewagon that's too big! Anything larger than a Landraider should be frowned upon! ^_^
My battlewagon is 13" long (quiet down the back! ) and about 7" wide, and this has actually presented quite a few problems in games.Originally Posted by Osaria
The good points are, everyone says it's awesome. I've never played an opponent who doesn't say something like "man that's orky!" Some opponents get spooked and fire everything they have at it. Others assume it's tougher than it is due to the outrageous size and ignore it, assuming they can't penetrate it. Wise opponents know what to do though.
The bad points are, you move the thing 6" (so you can fire the zappa) and it feels and looks as if you haven't moved at all! Also I have had heaps of trouble manouvreing around solid terrain, and even if you can do this, there is often not enough room to disembark your boyz. A typical table with normal amounts of terrain is virtually impassable to a giant vehicle. I have had to reluctantly retire my wagon and buy two namby-pamby little trukks that can actually fit between a forest and a building. My BW is now terrain, as it is a good size for that purpose!
So I'd maybe think about it. Having a big one may sound fun, but it just doesn't fit everywhere you need it to
Mine is land raider sized (probably cos it was and land raider previously...). I find it to be perfect. It looks like it can carry 20 orks, unlike trukks or rhinos (I can just about fit 2 marines in a rhino, without their bases!).
The bigger it is, the more stuff can shoot it, and the more it will get in the way of its own guns, and your army for that matter.
Mine is a 200pt beastie, which serves as Warboss/ 'ardboy transport. It has a zzap gun (Love it, best anti tank weapon ever) 2 twin rokkits, and full strap ons, I mean Bolt ons...
When the Warboss and his 'ardboyz disembark, I leave the BigMek in their with his grots (In my fluff hes the driver of it most of the time, having built it) so they can fire all those big shootas. In this configuration, its basically point at a unit, unit dies. Be it tank, infantry, or even Deamon Prince (the same battle where I lost a wound from it using a grot with a spade in cc!!! - I love jammy 6's)
Moderator over at http://forums.relicnews.com