Which Heavy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Heavy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Heavy?

In a 2000 pt. static army with two railheads, which is the best third heavy?
    A three man broadside squad with multi-trackers
    An ionhead with burst cannons, multi-tracker, and decoy launchers

Last edited by Shortstop; May 28th, 2005 at 23:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would help if u could post up the rest of ur army list.
    "To each his own"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still working on a list. A few major desicions are based on how many points go into heavy support. The difference in the two units is 80 pts. (the broadsides being more expensive). I know that I will be taking at least 3-4 fire warriors squads, 20 kroot, either 2 stealth squads and one fireknife squad, or one stealth squad and two fireknife squads (yes I love fireknifes, maybe a little too much, but I find them very effective with my style of play), and ethereal. 80 pts. makes a big differnce for me so I would like to get this out of the way first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

In a 2000p list I suggest you use 1 railhead, 1 ionhead, and 3 broadsides.
    Are you actually going to have a 2000p list? Wow, that's a lot of $$.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help. I'll switch one of the hammerheads to have an ion cannon. That soundes the best now that I think about it.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you put more then one hammerhead in a static list? oO
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

For the ion cannon and submunitions
    More balanced.
    Didn't you use 3 hammerheads in your list Soviet?
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Senior Member Soviet_Tau_Commander's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but I played a hybrid list. Unsuccessfuly might I add.
    There once was a Lord named Vlad,
    Who's fighting skillz really were mad.
    He killed and he maimed,
    He spilled blood in Khorne's name.
    And the fact that he's legal makes me glad
    (special thanks to Uriel Zarium for the last line/touching it up)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Railhead is the omly option

In my 2000pts I use 3 Hammerheads all with Railgun / Burst cannons / multi / Disruption pod, the Ion cannon is ok for taking a couple of marines / Necrons a turn or light armour(if your lucky).

I take the Railheads for various reasons.

The submunnition option, its the most underestimated part of the TAU arsenal ST6 , AP4, non scatter ordnance template that has BS3 and BS2 with Markerlights(I dont use ML, BS3 is usually good enough).

I use my XV8 suits to armour hunt (all plasma / fusion multi) and use the subs for infantry killing, 3 templates really mess up most hoard armys (nids, eldar, orcs, dark eldar, imp guard all 4+ or worst majority save armies). Wounds 0n 2+ on most standard models and no saves for 4+ or worse save(lovely, i love playing orcs with this list), an ION will only kill 3 models, if you roll well.

A sub round will also kill as many marines per turn on average as an ION cannon.

I find the one point less of strength acceptable for the versitality the subs offer.

My list has a large static FW base but is far from immobile, the HH can move 12" and still fire the big gun. I find the whole mobile / static difference very slim with the ed4 rules anyway.

Broadsides are expensive and draw fire even more than pathfinders, even with shield drones they are not very viable when faced with Lascannons, D,cannons, battle cannons etc, they cant move and shoot and when you have killed the armour (which granted if they live long enough they are good at) your limited to hitting one model a turn (infantry etc).
    A HH (skimmer)with multi and disruption is a lot harder to destroy than a broadside and a lot more versatile.

The Broadside is my favourite model and I have 6 of them, but just dont use them they die to quickly, in my opinion they should have similar rules to Obliterators (slow and purposeful and able to shoot heavy weapons on the move). its a shame cos I love the idea of Broadsides so much.

The other strength of the Railgun is ST10, AP1 auto penetration and that makes a helluva difference on high armour value vehicles like Landraiders, 'try to take out a Monolith or Landraider with a ST7 weapon (yeah I know its impossible) but even against a Leeman russ your limited to side / rear armour if you can get to it. Against low armour vehicles I have XV8's and st5 30" range pulse rifles a plenty to do the business. I have taken landspeeders down with pulse rifles on more than a few occasions!!

For the 165 points the Railhead / multi / disruption HH is the best tank in the game and the Railgun is just way to versatile to ignore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take 3 Broadsides with Target Lockers. The team leader has plasma rifles, Drone Controller, and a hard wired multi-tracker, just in case I need close in fire support.
    Peace through Superior Firepower! =^.^=

+ Reply to Thread