Librarium Online Forums banner

Help against necrons

836 views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fogogrego 
#1 ·
Hi what is good against necrons in general not a specific army list but in general?

#2 ·
Broadsides are definetely our best thing against them.
I simply cannot beat a necron player that knows what he's doing. In otherwords, skimmers don't work like they do against other armies. The more static you are, the better you'll do. However, the trouble is making a list and not tailoring it.
The best thing you can do is find a chunk of terrain, and jump back and forth shooting at them with stealths and crisis suits and then hiding behind the terrain.
Go for the heavy destroyers first if the necron player lets you, otherwise next targets are the destroyers. Wait for the wraiths to get closer before you worry about them. A unit of 3 wraiths go down pretty well if you concentrate enough fire on them.
The major problem people have is forgetting that you target everything at one unit, then move onto the next. Don't forget that. Killing 3 destroyers can mean they're not getting back up.

#3 ·
what army are you tau? other wise id say get termis and deep strike behind his lord and assualt him give them ferious charge and lighting claws ull get with a 5 man squad 20 4+ hits with a 3+ to wound and uy get to reroll all failed wounds ^_^

If ur tau like im thinking you are from the above posters comment id go with lots of broad sides and just nock him out of the water

#4 ·
I fight necrons a lot. Often I lose, but not always. They are a pretty nasty bunch.

Jump-shoot-jump as much as possible. Terrain is your best friend.

Broadsides are effective, as is the Hammerhead (rail gun). If they necrons bring on a monolith, you HAVE to have some s10 weopons or you are done for.

Seeker missiles are also nice, if you can keep your vehicles alive. I always try to fire all the seekers off early in the game, just in case. Make sure you have some back-up marketlights on your shas'uis though so if all your pathfinders evaporate you can still use the seekers.

For most of the troops though, you can knock them down easily with regular fire warriors or crisis suit arms. The trick is to knock ALL of them down so they can't get back up. Concentrate ALL fire, even if it seems like you are *wasting* high power shots on some regular necrons. It's worth it to eliminate a squad.

Remember to establish at the begining of the game the phase-out threshold for the necrons. What is the minimum number they have to have ON THE BOARD to keep from disappearing? Keep count. If they are unlucky with their deep strike rolls (meaning all their troops don't come on in the first couple rounds) you may be able to acheive fase-out without actually killing all the necrons you thought you'd have to. But you won't know unless you count.

Watch out for the lord to teleport a bunch of troops into your lines. If you can kill him, do. Heavy destroyers, destroyers, and wraiths also must be killed. Don't forget that wraiths can go through walls, you can't hide from them. C'tan isn't so bad if he's far away but do try not to let him get close.

#5 ·
Gingerfish....um....you realize you are in the Tau forum? Right? Please, give me some hope back in SM players and say you knew that.

Stay static and be ready to clear out when a Lord teleports into you or a Monolith DS's. The question is whether to go for "the big ones" first or take out the little guys first to force phase out. Taking out the Destroyers, Lord, an dother "big" units makes it alot safer cleaning up the other units, but there's nothing more satisfying then mowing down all the warriors with massed firepower and forcing your opponant's most expensive units to phase out.

#6 ·
my advice is to just shoot at anything that isnt the night bringer, tomb spider, and scarab.
first go for the warriors, then eliets,then fast attack, by then we(the necrons) have reached the 25% phase out point

#7 ·
Hmm, im having alot morre luck with my friends necrons. the trick is definetly destroyers. Railguns eat em for breakfast, with no WBB. You will probably need an ethereal, as you will take caualties (AP4 EVRYTHINGS!!! GAAHH!!!)

#9 ·
Still get WBB, even if no armour saves. Only things we have that can insta kill is fusion blaster (ahhh!!! rapid fire) so not that and railguns, and three, maybe four shots a turn, so only good against small squads, so mass little fire is probably better...

#10 ·
mowing down all warriors usually gets you pretty close to phase-out; they are truly the backbone of each necron army. All of their units are quite expensive (in comparison, ofcourse). This means you can bring out more stuff than your opponent.
As said, mass fire on the warriors, and let your broadsides take care of any destroyers, lords, or monoliths.

#11 ·
Use the Tau's superior range to your advantage. Probably 80% of the units you will face only have a 24" range (some have 30" if they move). Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers should be your first targets, as they have the most range and act like gun platforms (they can move and shoot without penalty). Railguns work nicely if the Destroyers are out of Res Orb range, as they will instakill and negate WBB. If there is a Lord nearby, just saturate them with shots and hit them with any AP3 weapons that are in range (Rail rifles are the only thing I can think of off the top of my head)

Also, keep an eye on his Wraiths and Scarabs since they can turboboost. The last thing you want are either of those units getting into HtH and tying up or routing units. Other than those two units, you can play Trench Tau and just sit and shoot. His Warriors (which should be the bulk of his army) aren't going to be in range to shoot for a turn or two, so you can try and pick them off from range or deal with the Necrons faster stuff and turn to the Warriors when they are a threat.

#13 ·
Not only that, but they also are also a low toughness. I hate template weapons that are higher than strength 6, because that means for each wound that's rolled, I lose 2 Scarab bases.

The only nice thing is you can string them out so that only 1 will be hit under an Ord template, and maybe 2 or 3 partials.

#14 ·
against necrons i just try to do the fire by volume, i use lots of warriors and lots of stealth and just play the numbers game, try to poor fire, cause they WILL fail save and come back, i use hammer heads to pop there commanders and them us submunitions, cause they they get there save, but your hitting on 3 and wounding on 2s. the nice thing is wether ou go 1st, because you got 30 inc range you get the 1st shot

its hard butno impossible

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.