three ork boxes, shootas or sluggas - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

three ork boxes, shootas or sluggas

i got three boxes o' da boyz and i am definetly building two boxes into sluggas and i was wondering if i should build the third into shootas or sluggas.
    I really dont like shootas, there just not good. lets take my box of 16 boyz shooting at some guard boyz. imperial guard would be one of the softest targets i would get to shoot at, opptimising my kills. no big shootas or notin cause sluggas can get dem too. so just shootas, i need 5's so out of 16 that makes 5 to 6 hits, then i need 3's so about 3 to 4. then saves at 5+ so about 3 die. not good, 3 guard every turn isn't amounting to much. they are cheaper though and make a good mob up unit.

i wanted some oppinions on the pros and cons

When you combine Speed and Power you get Lightning.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, me personally love the slugga boyz. So great. Im going for a massive close combat army so im starting off with 2 squads of slugga boyz. I dont really like the shoots mainly because of reasons such as the stats you gave. I may get a squad just for cover fire but im debating it. I think I would rather have the big guns as support, plus im useing a looted basilisk.

Pros: you can use them as sort of cover when charging down field. Have them lay down fire and bring sluggas behind.
    dont cost much

Cons: they are terrible at shooting and there are better choices to be made if in need of shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can, however, take fairly small squads of them to act as extra wounds for your big shootas. Putting a heavy weapon except a burna in a squad of slugga boyz is wasting points. You lose an attack AND the choppa rule for each heavy troop in a squad whose whole role is close combat.

Another idea: Make a box into Flash Gitz to give you 4 heavy weapons and better shootas.
    Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not true, in the codex it says that they can have xxxx heavy weapon for xxxx points not replace their weapons for xxxx heavy weapons.

i dont think they would lose their attacks, besides a squad of 10 boyz just for big shootas isn't worth it. thats 104 points for pretty much a good heavy bolter with 10 wounds. not good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my personal opinion is lots and lots of boyz i use 3 mobs of 20 in a 1000pt battle i love foot sloggas. but shootas i can see bieng real useful.

to start the are a big harrasement "look at me i put out (in a mob of 30) 30-60 shots depending on range" u cant say that isnt a big cheap distraction any sane enemy will try to shoot them down just because your rolling so many dice!. next with all thoes shots your bound to kill something come on even ork shooting in the right #s is decent.
    I'm bad for your health

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Not one heavy bolter, but three of the darn things. That are completely mobile.
    If I use shootaboyz, I use them in small group sizes as objective holders and mobbing up units. Truth be told, a unit of ten shootaboyz rapid firing into a squad of infantry is going to ruin SOMEONE'S day, and it ain't going to be yours.
    Flashgitz are another options. Tool them up for heavy infantry destruction with the blastier upgrade, give them more dakka to make them a mobile fire base, or give them shootier and watch them chew through light infantry like no one's buisness. The extra special weapon you can take is also pretty dern nice.
    If you want to be REALLY sneaky, you can do what I do and have a mob or two of huntas backing up your kanz, skarboyz and madboyz. I have never understood why the people in the Imperial Guard forum complain so much about BS 3. To me, that is LOVELY.
    "Some days you're the Mekboy building the kannon, the rest you're the grot being blown up by it."
    - Quote attributed to Sorkrates, before his much mourned death due to ingestion of Hemsquig Juice.

"Dis iz my choppa, and herez me gun. Dat's for killin' and so'z dis one!"
    - Bloodaxe Kommando Warchant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

about one with the lowered ap and with 9 shots your going to hit with 3, which is better than most heavy bolters but the BS aren't ap4

also flash gits are expensive and not mobile unless more dakka, then very expensive
    Last edited by LightningGus 3; June 8th, 2005 at 03:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

I disagree about the flashgitz, personally. Twenty of them armed with shootier and 4 big shootas cost 252-8... 244 points. That's 16 strength 5 shots if you move, and 32 of them if you sit still and rapid fire. Along with 12 big shoota shots. I'll happily move that force around if I need to, and take my chances.
    Remember, flashgitz with special weapons don't have to pay for the weapon upgrade. That's a nifty little thing I found out.
    As for it having a lower AP... I have a resounding 'so what?' in responce to that. I take the More Dakka configuration when I'm facing 'nids, imperial guard, orks, and occasionally a static tau force. Otherwise we go with the 'stick rokkits up there bumz!' approach to battle.
    You need to have a chat with a bad moon player sometime about their flashgitz, man. *nods*
    "Some days you're the Mekboy building the kannon, the rest you're the grot being blown up by it."
    - Quote attributed to Sorkrates, before his much mourned death due to ingestion of Hemsquig Juice.

"Dis iz my choppa, and herez me gun. Dat's for killin' and so'z dis one!"
    - Bloodaxe Kommando Warchant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Someone mention a Bad Moon Player?

Well here I am. I used to take two 20 man squads of flash gitz, with five big shootas in each, (four normal and one for the nob) with the more dakka up grade. The thing is that they cost a huge amount of points ( about 330 each). For an ork army I found that that was just way too much. So I cut each unit in half and now I think I have reached a balanced list.
    Let me tell you, nobody you are fighting can afford to have that sort of fire power, just hanging around, 5+ to hit or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so does that mean build the last box into shootas/flash gitz or sluggas?

im assuming that all these posts are trying to get me to build the box into shootas/ gitz

also should i use the gitz with shootas or slugga and choppa, both seem reasonable, shootas would be longer ranged but the upgrades to the sluggas would help before the assault.
    Last edited by LightningGus 3; June 8th, 2005 at 21:01.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast