Instinctive Behavior - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I'm sitting here flipping through the Tyranid codex, and I see some mounting problems for my upcoming army.

I'm planing of having at least a couple of big broods of leaping gaunts roving ahead of the army, and some biovores firing from the back. Both of these elements are going to be outside of the influense of synapse creatures for a major part of the battle. Thats a whole lot of Instinctive behavior tests.

Sure, with some hive node mutations all of those test are going to be against leadership 10, but as we all know tests against leadership 10 fail at least half of the time(for me anyway=)).

Anyways, a failed leadership can leave me with a big brood of gaunts stranded in premium firing distance, or a biovore who is charging out of cover!

Am I missing something here? Is this something all Tyranid armies are faced with?

Just wanna know before I start building my army...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

That's right, this can happen if there are no synapse creatures in range.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some common "solutions" include winged Tyrants/Warriors to keep up with your fast units, one Zoenthrope to hang back with your biovores, and/or Heavy Weapon Warriors to hang back with the biovores.

The HW Warrior brood actually does fairly well for itself. Plus it guards the Biovores from deep striking units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    85 (x1)

In a 1700 point game I usually end up with 3 broods of warriors (1 winged) and 2 winged tyrants. Sometimes a second winged warrior brood is included, it depends.

The warrior broods are just 3 creatures each, which is what I always do with them until I run out of slots on the army list and have to pump brood sizes. It lets me spread around my synapse influence. It also gives me more venom cannons. Even only being able to glance, at S 7, I can have a good chance of dinging many vehicles. Plus, pretty good range.

These are in support of 3 broods of gaunts, usually about 16-20 models each brood. Each brood has 2 nodes, just in case 1 gets killed (this has saved me from LD 5 checks many times). Set like this, with 5 or 6 synapse nodes around, I honestly cannot remember the last time I failed an instinctive behavior test, because I take them very rarely.

Really large broods of gaunts can be difficult to move around, so I do not like using over 20 in a brood. Also, having 2 broods of 16, instead of 1 brood of 32, means that if you do fail an instinctive behavior test, only 16 act stupid. The chances of failing 2 tests are far lower than the chance of failing 1.
    Tyranids: Hive Fleet Kohr-Ah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, a lot of good tips. Since I'm pretty anal about how my army looks, I'm not gonna use any Warriors or Tyrants with ranged weapons though. Unless I find one that looks cool on them .

Not sure if I agre with the "more broods more safety" thing. More broods also means more tests. The only reason I would split up my broods would be to increase mobility.

Zoanthropes seem like a good solution for the biovores. But they have to choose Synapse as a power right? And they can only have one power? Thats a whole lot of points for a unit thats only ever useful if I fail a ld 10 test...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zoanthropes seem like a good solution for the biovores. But they have to choose Synapse as a power right? And they can only have one power? Thats a whole lot of points for a unit thats only ever useful if I fail a ld 10 test...
    Yep, yep and yep. You're paying for insurance. On the other hand, how many points is it worth to have a guaranteed (or 3 guaranteed) launches of the Biovore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, for the cost of a zoanthrope I could almost afford an extra biovore instead. So the only time it's worth it is if you've maxed your vores.

I also noticed that lictors have to take tests. Doesn't really make sense to me. I asume they don't have to take test while hidden?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lictors don't have to take the test. Neither do Genestealers. This allows them to use their abilities without worrying about IB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Unit04@Oct 24 2003, 07:52

Yep, yep and yep. You're paying for insurance. On the other hand, how many points is it worth to have a guaranteed (or 3 guaranteed) launches of the Biovore?
    Are Biovores and their mines really all that great?

Admittedly, I haven't seen them in play yet, but with likelyhood of scatter, the mines can be easily avoided unless they land on target. And you're only going to get a precious few of them out there anyway.

They seems awefully expensive. Especially when you tack the cost of that Zoa to keep them in Synapse.

So what's the appeal? What am I missing?

What mines do you give them and why?
    <span style='color:orange'>And the lands shall burn from horizon to horizon.
    Just as the sun cannot be prevented from rising,
    Neither can the inevitable be halted or avoided.
    Hive Fleet Infernus shall scorch all worlds in its path.
    </span>

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

ctuchik:
    Lictors are fearless, they automatically pass all morale tests. Instictive behevious checks *are* morale tests. This also affects carnifices.

Scorching Dawn:
    Biovores kick butt - not agains marines, but against any army with lots of armour save 4+ models.

Yes, they scatter far, but you don&#39;t have to guess the distance. So if you roll a hit on the scatter dice, then a biovore hits more accurate than a whirlwind shot, and if you fail, then the shot is still somewhere around andcan float into base contact in a later round.
    Biovores are also essential against any army with open topped vehicles, e.g. DE or speed freaks.
    I generally use poison mines. Good AP, can wound everything, normal ordnance template (not that unreliable flame template). I don&#39;t use zoas in order to keep them in synapse range, the chance to roll 11+ is only 1/12. The cost of that zoa is not worth the benefit if keeping the bios is all you want to do.

jwu

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast